“Fantanstic views of the Falls”
Review of Melia Iguazu

Melia Iguazu
Reviewed 3 July 2009

We stayed at the Sheraton and whilst its costly its worth it as you can access the falls easily without having to travel to the National Park. Our room was facing the falls (at an extra cost) overlooking the gardens & forest as well as views of the falls. The room was very spacious and spotlessly clean as was the public area, Staff friendly and courteous,spoke english. Good selection of breakfast ,we ate one evening meal at the hotel which was a bit costly. However along the trail there are more eating places and in the centre along the green trail there's a good restaurant 'La Selva' all you can eat buffet style at a very reasonable price with excellent service and friendly staff. We stayed 2 nights which is needed to see the falls from both the Argentinean & Brazilian sides walkways are well signed. It rained some of the time but the guide said it was the best time as in the high season it gets very crowded & noisey and can be difiicult to see the views from the platforms. We enjoyed the spa in the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wendy-Beds
Write a ReviewReviews (3,162)

Reviewed 3 July 2009

I returned within the past few weeks for a 2 night stay at the Sheraton Iguazu and was pleasantly surprised at the quality service I received at the hotel.

Having read many reviews who encouraged booking the falls view room, I opted to follow that advice and pay the premium so reserved a king bed falls view room at USD$249 + tax per night directly though Sheraton's website. This was the "best available" room rate and at check-in I was assigned room #332 which does offer a spectacular view of the falls that I thought well worth the upgrade. Having flown up from Buenos Aires early in the morning I was hoping the hotel would allow an early check-in and luckily they did so I was able to spend the balance of the day walking the trails that are directly adjacent to the Sheraton. The room was a mix of old & new as the furniture & flat screen TV seemed fairly new while the patio sliding door & screen and some of the bathroom fixtures seemed vintage 1970's. However, the overall quality of the room was more than enough to make for a comfortable stay.

The hotel itself does live of its location and with good reason as no other hotel is as close to the falls as the Sheraton and it was worth a premium to be that close given the 2 nights and 2 days I was staying at the falls which I felt was just enough time to see and do all the activities and walking trails the park offers. The public areas both inside the hotel and on an outside patio were always well kept and offered plenty of well maintained chairs and couches, though it was winter when I visited and the outside temperatures in the morning & evening were somewhat cool to be sitting outside. The outdoor pool was dry as it appeared to be getting retiled, though again the weather wasn't exactly conducive to lounging on a pool deck anyway and that's probably why the work was being done when it was.

One end of the main lobby floor was devoted to computer terminals and included a printer and I appreciated being able without charge to hop on and check in via email with home. The only issue I encountered while at the hotel occured here as the printer was not working when I logged on to print my boarding pass the day before my flight back to Buenos Aires but when I mentioned the problem to the front desk the staff member quickly volunteered to print the boarding pass from their computer which they preceeded to do with my confirmation number. This positive approach to customer service wasn't unique and was something I enjoyed in other areas of the hotel during my stay as well.

The main dining room, called Garganta del Diablo after the spectacular falls of the same name, served as both the main morning buffet breakfast as well as evening restaurant on site. At check in I had been told daily breakfast was included which was a pleasant surprise as it wasn't something I had seen printed on my confirmation when I booked. The variety hot and cold options were enough to make for a filing start to the day in a venue that also overlooks the falls. Several times I found my orange juice mug refilled before the first was even empty by an observant waiter. One little perk I enjoyed was at the end of breakfast taking an individually wrapped granola snack bar for consumption later in the day. The evening meal is also served here and again likely due to low season the guest-to-waiter ratio, especially soon after the 7pm opening of the restaurant, was low enough I found the service very personalized, quick and efficient. The speed of the meal getting out was high also as was the overall quality and presentation of the food being served. The first night I ordered a Caesar salad and penne pasta entre and with a beer the meal came to around ARS$120 or approx CAD$40 which is much higher than the same meal would be in Buenos Aires, for example. However, the inconvenience and cost of catching a taxi to dine in the nearby town of Puerto Iguazu seemed to negate the savings so in the end opted to stay put both nights I was at the hotel.

Seeing as park is closed at 6pm nightly and in winter it was dark not longer thereafter there really isn't a whole lot to do for nightlife at the hotel beyond downing relatively expensive alcohol so turned in early both nights which suited me as it allowed an early start to the sightseeing the next morning, well before the tour buses pulled up with the volumes of day trippers seeing the falls. Because costs at the hotel for beer and sodas was very high I usually stopped at one of the half dozen or so smaller tourist souvenir shops located along the trails or near the small railway stations and took some refreshments back to the mini-fridge in the room saving two thirds in the process.

One day I had taken the jet boat ride on the river and falls and opted to buy the DVD the company videographer that accompanies each excursion shot to sell to tourists. Once the staff at the tour company know you're staying at the Sheraton all they asked was for your room number and it was all arranged. That night around 7 a call came from the concierge desk saying my souvenir DVD was ready for pick up and so I stopped by on the way to dinner and paid the ARS$100 or CAD$32 to the hotel staff member and it was convenient not to have to worry about where or when to pick up this little keepsake.

I didn't notice any ATM on-site and the hotel's in-room guide noted the nearest one was in Puerto Iguazu so having enough cash for tours, some meals & snacks plus souvenirs when you leave for the hotel is wise. The airport does offer an ATM on the departures level as I took advantage to get more cash before leaving at the end of my stay. Note that ARS$100 bills aren't always easily accepted for smaller purchases so I usually tried to keep smaller bills and coins handy for those sorts of purchases plus shorter taxi rides. The ATM's usually had withdrawls in ARS$10 or $20 denominations so rather than withdrawing ARS$700, for example, I would ask for ARS$680 ensuring your got at least a few smaller bills.

There has been a new full service spa added to the resort though gave this a pass so can't comment on its quality.

The taxi from the airport is ARS$60 one way and upon arrival excludes the cost of the park entrance fee which was another $60 so having this amount ready will save some time. The night before check out I asked the front desk whether it was necessary to pre-book a taxi to take me back to the airport and was told that no, one could be called within a few minutes as there was almost always one at the hotel.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised with the stay largely because of the warm & friendly but professional, fast & efficient service I received at the Sheraton and would return again were I to visit the falls again. Sure the hotel isn't perfect and shows its age in places but those age spots didn't in any way even come close to impacting the quality of my stay or my ability to enjoy the spectacular scenery right outside this hotel's front door. I had expected going in to like this hotel for its location but was happily surprised to find many other reasons to like this hotel as well and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank tcook052
Reviewed 1 July 2009

Spent two nights. The location and view is fabulous. Although some reviews said "monstrosity built in 1978", we found the hotel in very good shape and well staffed. Breakfasts were good; dinner a bit slow and limited menu. My wife and daughter enjoyed the spa. The price is right for what you are getting.

The pool was closed for annual maintenance.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 June 2009

They ave us an upgrade to the Falls side of the hotel without charge. It was practically empty. It is a lovely hotel that has recently been renovated. Our room was small but very nice with a patio. If you come to see the Falls, there is no place else to stay inside the park. The people who work there could not have been nicer or more helpful. We had been mugged in Buenos Aires and lost our charge card and money. It was my birthday. The hotel sent a beautiful cake with a birthday card to our room. Loved the falls and everything about this hotel. Free Wi-Fi is there with lots of computers. I don't know why they say in a lot of places that you will be charged because you get a half hour a day in the lobby Free and if you have your own computer--that looked free. Food in the bar was great.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2009

A friend and I stayed at the Sheraton Iguazu for two nights. It was Ok as Sheraton's go - pricey water in the room and pricey mini bar all to be expected when you are miles away from a market. After a first un impressive lunch we were not sure how dinner would be but the restaurant staff at dinner was wonderful, we had a great meal and the best Dulce de Leche ice cream on our entire trip in Argentina. We also used the spa which was understaffed as only on aesthetician did everything from mani/pedi and massage. My friend got the massage and said it was great but not a top line selection of colors or equiptment for my pedicure. They had a great room just to chill out in in the spa. The trails to the falls were right there and we used these two days as a break in our busy Argentina itinerary so it all work out OK for us.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 June 2009

A stay at the Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa is one of life's pleasures. Located deep inside Iguazu National Park in Argentina, the hotel is only steps away from one of the world's natural wonders.

The building that houses the hotel is not pretty; it's a concrete block. Step inside, however, and any ill feelings quickly disappear. Enormous, floor-to-ceiling windows look out over Iguazu Falls, and the view is captivating. The interior has clearly been renovated recently, and the public spaces are light and inviting.

The hotel has two dining facilities. The formal restaurant is quite pricey and features rich, Argentine fare. The bar in the lobby is more casual, and it offers more casual food (sandwiches, hamburgers, etc.). The bar also boasts an incredible patio with uninterrupted views of the falls. There are few better places on earth to enjoy an afternoon drink than on the patio at the Sheraton Iguazu.

We stayed in a "Falls View Room," and it is worth every penny of the cost over a "Jungle View Room." All rooms at the Shertaon Iguazu have balconies with chairs and a table. Thus, in a Falls View Room, it's possible to order room service and have a private, alfresco dining experience with a breathtaking view of the waterfalls. It's also a great place to read and listen to the sound of cascading water.

The pool and spa complex at the hotel is equally nice. The poolside bar serves tasty, cool drinks, and the spa, while I did not use it, looked soothing, calming and inviting.

If you're set on seeing Iguazu Falls, stay at the Sheraton! It's the perfect place to start your exploration of the Argentine side of the park. (If you want to visit the Brazilian side, and you should, you'll need to hire a driver. It's about a 30 minute ride). We spent two full days at the Sheraton Iguazu, but we could have easily spent a week relaxing in the shadow of Iguazu Falls.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 June 2009

My husband and I stayed 2 nights here. I think two nights was really enough for us. The Sheraton is the only hotel right in the park so there is no competition. We had a room with a view of the Falls which was nice. Our room must be in proximity of a bar or club. We heard music playing until 4 am. The noice was not bad. It was muted. South Americans like to party till morning.

There was a funny smell in the room and bathroom. I am not sure if it was not very clean and/or the humidity.

We signed up for a package tour in the hotel lobby. The package included a jeep ride in the jungle and a boat ride "into" the falls. The boat ride was a lot of fun. The jeep ride was a total bore. The driver/tour guide was listless and unmotivated.

I recommend this hotel because of the excellent location.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
#5 of 50 in Puerto Iguazu
Hotel Saint George
Hotel Saint George
#11 of 50 in Puerto Iguazu

Been to Melia Iguazu? Share your experiences!