“World class attraction.”

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Denmark
297 helpful votes
“World class attraction.”
Reviewed 28 January 2007

I visited the Iguazú waterfalls twice.

First time was in 2004 and second time last October 2006. The only difference between those two trips there was the amount of water. Last year there were problems with the lack of rain in the area but finally the rain arrived and the waterfalls had about 70% of the usual water. The pictures I post are mostly from this last trip.

There are some options when you visit the waterfalls.
1) To see the Devils Throat which is the deepest fall of all and it is very, very impressive.
2) To walk the Upper Circuit
3) To walk the Lower Circuit
4) To see the waterfalls from the Brazilian side.

To see the Devils Throat you can walk a long path or you can take a little train to arrive to the place must faster.

This short trip of about 10 minutes is free. The only problem taking this train is that you may have to wait about 45 minutes to board it depending on the time of the day (and I suppose that depending on what time of the year you are visiting the park too). The place is visited by many people so it pays off to visit the park as early as possible in the morning!

The other options (Upper and Lower Circuit) will let you see the rest of the waterfalls and they are also a must but take into consideration that the place can get very, very hot so you may consider to drop one of them according to how fit you are and how good is your mobility.

You are probably asking yourself, what´s the difference between the Argentine side and the Brazilian side. Well, a guide put it very clear. When you see the waterfalls from the Brazilian side it is like watching a football match from the best seat available. When you watch them from the Argentine side, it is like playing that football match yourself.

If you, like another member of this forum said, have to pay 100 $ in order to enter Brazil or if you are short of time then my advice is to drop the Brazilian side. But if you can then give it a chance because the scenery is truly World Class. No more, no less :-)

I post a few pictures with some of the animals you can have the chance to spot. But the truth is, that with all the people in the area and the helicopters flying regularly above, most animals retreat deeper in the jungle and you only will spot them in the tourist guide :-)

If you are interested in butterflies then you can be sure that you are in for a treat because there are butterflies all over the place.
I will try to post some video clips too. They aren´t good enough as I took them with my phone but it may give you an idea of how vast the area is (2.5 miles wide).

Finally remember to wear light clothes and have plenty of water with you. We were picked from the hotel already 7:30 in the morning in order to avoid the strongest sun at "siesta" time in the afternoon (and to avoid a long quew at the train, as I said before).
You can buy beverages all over the park and there is a big restaurant serving mostly fast food.

There is also the option of driving through the jungle about 8 km and then sailing on a small boat to come very close to some falls. This trip costs about 30 $. I didn´t try it.

Once again: this is a World Class attraction! There is no photo or video that can show how impressing and beautiful this place is...

10 Thank Oscar L
Boca Raton, Fl
24 helpful votes
“Breathtaking scenery”
Reviewed 10 June 2006

From Buenos Aires my daughter and I flew to Iguazu to view the falls, a must on our Argentine itinerary. This is a spectacular sight and a marvelous spot for photography; (I have some of my shots framed as a wonderful reminder). I had difficulty walking (back problems, a common malady), but don't let that stop you. There are trains to take you into the park and plenty of wheelchairs to use on the many trails to the look-out points.
The park has refreshment stands, restroom facilities, and souvenir shops. We highly recommend staying at the Iguazu Grand Hotel, a 40 peso taxi ride, rather than at the Sheraton which appeared a bit shabby and not very inviting. Two days allow ample time to discover this natural wonder on your own or book a boat ride for maximum excitement.

24 Thank bestravel
San Diego, California
45 helpful votes
“Three days at the park in April - Iguazu - loved it!”
Reviewed 1 May 2006

Iguazu Falls:

Absolutely spectacular! We are so glad that we went there. We left our luggage at the Claridge and flew out of the city airport to Iguazu. The city airport looks new, so it was probably refurbished a short time ago. We flew Aerolineas Argentinas which after seeing so many bad reviews surprised us by being a very clean new plane with pleasant staff. We were fortunate that there was no strike during the time we were there in early April.

We shared a cab with another couple we met at the airport and the cab took us directly to the Sheraton Hotel in the park on the Argentine side. The cab was 30 pesos. Once there, we checked in and signed up for tours for the next day. We were staying two nights. We went into the park and took the train to Estacion Garganta and then walked along the catwalks (not scary at all) to Garganta del Diablo which was awesome! The next day the driver we hired at the tour desk met us and took us to the park in Brazil.
We had purchased our visas in the U.S. ($100 each because we went directly to the embassy – they are good for 5 years) so our entry was easy.

Our driver waited while we entered the park and took the bus to the walkway to the falls. We exited the bus at the Tropical Cataras hotel and began walking. The view of the falls from the Brazilian side is absolutely incredible, we enjoyed every moment of that walk and took lots of pictures. It took about 2 hours and then our driver took us back. We then took a 4x4 tour of the jungle and then a boat ride through the falls where we got really wet, but it was a lot of fun. Come prepared with a plastic raincoat. An underwater camera would have come in handy. We brought a towel which came in handy to wipe feet to put socks back on. They give you a watertight bag for your shoes and personal items. It was a great trip and cost about $60.00 US for both of us.

We ate at the Sheraton or at the concessions outside in the park. Buffet breakfast was included, but it cost $25 US for the lunch or dinner buffet. Although the buffet looked good, presentation is everything, we felt that was a lot of money for lunch and ordered off the ala carte menu. Food and drinks were good at the hotel. After the second night, we entered the park at 7:30 when it opened and walked the lower circuit. Then we were ready to leave and tried to get an earlier flight. For us, the day and ½ was enough.

We were pleased with our choice to stay at the Sheraton. Although there was construction, it did not interfere with our enjoyment of the hotel and the park.

We couldn’t get the earlier flight on standby so we ate lunch at the airport in their Blue Sky restaurant. The meal was surprisingly good – my husband had beef and I had pasta and service was excellent. In general in Argentina, you do not have to go to a fancy restaurant.

2 Thank Europeaddict
Venice, FL
201 helpful votes
“Gorgeous!”
Reviewed 3 April 2006

Iguazu is difficult to get to. I left time to visit Iguazu prior to my cruise departure, but I had a very difficult time arranging the visit. Since I was using Delta frequent flier miles to get to Buenos Aires and from Santiago Chile and so travel agents were not interested in helping me unless I was planning on buying 3 nights at the Sheridan for about $375 a night in addition to the plane from Buenos Aires. You cannot book airfare except thru a travel agent. Aerolineas Argentinas was totally impossible. I finally got the name of NeuvoMundo from a friend and was able to book online a LAN flight, but there was a $15 travel agent fee per ticket. LAN also does not have as many flights a day, but they also have a better reputation. I was able to book a hotel easily enough over the internet, see my review of the Hotel Cataratas. Figure $15 to get from the airport to your hotel. Local bus to the falls worked out just fine. I had been told by one of the many travel agents (that I did not use) that 2 days was necessary to see the falls. This was not true. We got there at opening and hiked the paths, rode the boat under the falls and actually did the circuit to Diablo's throat twice in one day. We did not visit the Brazilian side because we refused to buy the $100 visas. I don't feel we missed anything by not going to Brazil. We took the bus past our hotel and into town in order to try the restaurants there, and I would recommend doing that. I also liked the local fish, surabi. Cab back to the hotel from the restaurant was about $3.

37 Thank Sharon Z
cleveland ohio
10 helpful votes
“Iquazu Falls”
Reviewed 4 February 2005

We just returned from a wonderful trip around South America, ending it at Iquazu Falls. Getting there from BA is not very difficult and since we stayed at the Sheraton in the Park, our visit on the Argentina was quite enjoyable. We even took the boat ride up the river and under the falls, and yes we got soaked.
The Sheraton Hotel is a modern structure, but like most in park with no competition hoels, the price is a little on the high side, but worth it none the less for its convenient location.
Before leaving the USA we had to get a Brazialian Visa (which is kind of a you did it to us so we will do it to you thing). This alone is not a big deal as they said the view of the falls from the Brazialian side was better than from the Argentina side. It took 2 1/5 hours at the border to have one person fingerprint and take pictures for every USA citizen crossing into Brazil (remember that is what we now do in the USA but with a few more than one person).
Add the cost and time together, and frankly I can honestly say, do not get the visa, do not go into Brazil, and spend more time at the Argentina side of the falls. The view is not really that much better from the Brazil side to spend the extra money and time it takes to get acrosss the border.

10 Thank moseyone

Been to Iguazu National Park? Share your experiences!