“classy jungle lodge”

GreenLeadersSilver level
LONDON
“classy jungle lodge”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I really liked this hotel - visited for 2 nights only whilst visiting the Iguazu waterfalls.
I doubt many guests would stay much longer than 2 nights as everyone is here for the waterfalls. Many people I spoke to were on their way to or from other cities and attractions. Everybody I spoke to seemed to love this hotel though.
The hotel is only about 1 k out of town but off a main road so I wouldn't be tempted to walk it. Do get a taxi.. it seemed quite expensive for only a short ride but it is so hot and dark I didn't even consider the walk.
I did look into some of the more generic offerings in town before booking this, but I am glad I decided to go for the the jungle lodge experience - it really added to the pleasure of the trip.
Reception is a huge open space which also houses the restaurant. Beautiful airy and lots of quirky giant wooden furniture.
I was shown down to my lodge which I loved on sight. I just knew I was going to get a good nights sleep here. It is very atmospheric and the jungle really is all around you. Hammock on the terrace was a nice touch - though I didnt get time to use it in the end. The room had 2 double beds in a very spacious arrangement. The air con was efficient and not too noisy (this place gets very very humid so you will need it). Bathroom was tasteful (quite small but fine). The room had coffee making facilities (this wasn't mentioned on the website so it was a nice extra to have - particularly for my departure when I had to get up very early). Could not fault the room .
Pool is nicely set out in a clearing between the trees. Seemed enough sun beds for everyone who wanted one but I didnt get to the pool before 5pm anyway so my enjoyment was limited (a lot of the trips leave early morning and won't return until late afternoon, so the pool is great for a quick refreshing dip before dinner but I doubt anyone spends a day there). The pool bar was a bit slow on service, but the beer was cold and the cocktails were strong.
Breakfast was plentiful with some nice fruit options and lots of pastries. I don't think it was too strong on cooked breakfasts (but I didn't really explore that as its not my thing, so I could be wrong). I did have dinner in the hotel one eveing. Bit soulless as not many other diners, but the food was lovely and the wine was served in nice big doses!
I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel. There are other lodge style hotels in the area and they may also be nice. But I would say definitely pick this over any of the larger (older) hotels in town.. you will miss a charming experience!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights over Xmas. The hotel is very rustic, groups of four rooms with thatched roofs tucked away in the jungle. Rooms are very spacious and all have their own balconies with hammocks- very private. Despite being just 250m from the highway, it honestly felt that you were really tucked away, deep in the jungle. The beds are very wide and the rooms have a reasonably sized bathroom, large closet and a safe and excellent air conditioning. We also had a small flat screen tv that had quite a few channels but all mostly Spanish. The floors are all wood and there are many windows to let in the natural light. Unfortunately, we didn't sleep that well, the jungle is a very noisy place at night! Some type of rodent drops seeds on the tin roof at all hours of the night so you hear a constant "pinging" noise on the roof. That said, the staff are lovely and very friendly. There is a small business centre for Internet use and a printer for your boarding passes. Breakfast is included and has the usual array of breads, pastries, fruit, meat and juices. We ate almost all our meals here and the food is excellent and very fairly priced. We ate in the lobby/dining room on Christmas evening and the steak was absolutely delicious. The second night we had the BBQ which was served by the pool. Nice salads and choice of meats or fish with ice cream for dessert. The swimming pool is quite large but relatively shallow which was great for the kids. Lots of lounging chairs and towels and the beer was also reasonably priced so it was easy to spend a day just lounging. The town is a 40 peso taxi ride from the hotel but there isn't much to it. We went for one dinner and it was awful so we were happy to eat the rest of our meals at the hotel. There is a gas station just across the highway for buying snacks and drinks and the mini bar in the room keeps them cold. All in all we really enjoyed our stay. It's about 20 min to the Falls and 30 min to the airport. We would recommend this as a choice for a couple or a family that offers a little tranquility in the jungle.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be equal.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013

The lodge comprised a series of thatched bungalow/lodges and a central reception come dining room. The rooms were in groups of 4 but each had its own private balcony with seating and a hammock. The room was large and had a fridge and aircon, as well as a large wardrobe and safe. It was great to be in the trees – to look out for birds in the day and listen to the insects at night. The pool area was quite large with 3 pools and a bar area, however, the bar was closed up during our stay. Breakfast was a basic buffet style with some hot food and coffee/teas. We did not stay for an evening meal, partly because we wanted to see more of the town and partly because the dining room/reception area was open plan and excessively lit, and so not appealing for us as a couple.

The hotel is just outside the town and in theory close enough to walk in. We would normally take that option but we found the road to be too busy, without a pavement, and there was no lighting. The staff were happy to book taxis (at agreed rates) and to recommend/book restaurants as needed. Great restaurants in the town (Aqa and Ruada), particularly if you like large steaks, meats and good wines. Not sure if staying in the town would have been a good option or not but there was a lot of traffic and many areas were run-down.

We stayed here as part of a Brazil tour and seeing the falls. It is a good location for trips to either side of the falls but we found the border crossings to be lengthy and tedious, waiting for customs & passport control, and we found the tour groups to be very large. Also watch out for a time difference between Brazil and Argentina – we got caught out being up an hour too early to get breakfast and also had to leave very early for what was already an early flight from the Brazil side (add together the 2 hour check in time plus border crossings and the time difference).

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

At first I thought this was a bit of a con, being 100m from the main road, but after a while you get soak up by the peaceful jungle sounds. Lay in my hammock reading my iPad. Very relaxing. Staff were very friendly and gave me great advise for activities.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aclaughan
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

Relaxing lodge with spacious rooms, set in a stunning environment. Very friendly staff, service was top notch. They recommended great Restaurants and activities to do. Very central to activities and only a 20 minute walk into town.

Only complaints were it wasn't always 100% clean and the food wasn't fantastic.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Medfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We stayed three nights, arriving early the first day, but were given early check-in. The lodge was so perfect for a trip to iguassu. It was rustic, but comfortable, with airconditioning and a porch with a hammock. The pool was lovely, the water was a perfect temperature, and pool drinks were extremely reasonable. We ate at the restaurant one night and had the best steak we had our whole trip (Rio, Iguazu, Buenos Aires). Breakfast was included and very good. The service was outstanding! Thank you Miguel, Gabriela and Cristian! It was not in the middle of things, but taxis were easily arranged by the staff and very cheap. Tours picked us up and dropped us off at the hotel. We have already recommended the hotel to several people while in Buenos Aires.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stayed here for three nights and we were very much enjoyed. The staff was very nice and obliging. The man at the front desk could speak very good English. The room was large and with wide beds. There was room to add up the suitcase. Wonderful with hammock on the terrace. At breakfast was also fresh fruit, which was wonderful!
Lunch and dinner works great if you don't manage to go down to the city.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple