La Aldea de la Selva Lodge
Hotel Saint George(Puerto Iguazu)
US$118
  • Breakfast included
Panoramic Grand(Puerto Iguazu)
US$227
US$187
Loi Suites Iguazu(Puerto Iguazu)
US$319
US$236
Grand Crucero Iguazu Hotel(Puerto Iguazu)
US$114
Priceline
US$98
Akwati Suites Iguazu(Puerto Iguazu)
US$72
US$60
Marangatu(Puerto Iguazu)
US$71
All reviewsiguazu fallsthe main roadwooden pathsjungle experiencehammock on the balconytwo nightsunique experiencenatural settingpool areajacuzzi tublocal fishnice place to stayceiling fangreat poolbreakfast buffet istaxi riderooms are nice
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed here for four nights (Sunday-Thursday) in the first half of the busy Semana Santa. Due to our late decision to travel, we were lucky to find a room for four in Puerto Iguazu. Given the time of year and our lack of planning, we were pleased with what we got. The grounds are attractive and the pool area is nice. Rooms are fine, with balconies and hammocks. Large, high-ceilinged, reception/restaurant area. No bar, but beer and wine available in the restaurant. Buffet breakfasts were good, but the dinner menu is limited and did not change in the four nights we were there. We ate dinner there twice and went out twice. Surprisingly few bugs, given the setting; the only time I got bitten by a mosquito was at dusk by the pool. Our kids came across a couple of enormous snails (maybe 4-5 inches long and 2 inches wide) crawling across one of the paths, which they stopped to photograph. Fascinating jungle creatures (the snails, not the kids). Our heating/ air-conditioning unit did not work the night we arrived and it was cold, but the hotel replaced it with a brand-new unit the next day

On the downside, our room was rather musty. They should replace the bedding and mattresses more frequently and/or run a de-humidifier between guests to dry the place out. The most annoying thing about the room was the smell of urine wafting up intermittently into the bathroom. It must have been to due with the nature of the sewer system or perhaps the septic tank needed to be emptied. To put this in perspective, I would characterize the intermittent smell as mildly annoying rather than disgusting or unbearable. We did not complain to the hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms are on one level, built on pilings a few feet off the ground. Our building had two rooms facing each other across an open-air hallway.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Due to a weather related delay earlier on our trip, we only got to stay 1 night instead of two here in Iguazu. It turned out OK though. We arrived early afternoon, and spent the next day at the falls, before leaving on a late flight to B A to catch up with our planned schedule.

I’m telling you this because one night is better than two if you are not prepared for the rustic environment of the accommodation. We were not expecting anything like luxury, but it was not even close. To bring these cabins up to a good acceptable standard would require a total makeover.

However, we did not dislike our brief stay there. We enjoyed wandering the grounds on boardwalks through the trees the afternoon we arrived, we didn’t spot any large wild animals of course, we didn’t expect to, but we saw a few birds, and heard many more. We saw the pool area but didn’t use it. It looked very nice and clean, with no leaves in the water; surprising really with all the vegetation around.

We then had drinks on the veranda outside the main building that doubles as reception and dining room, and when we got hungry, we went inside and enjoyed a very nice dinner, well served by a pleasant waitress. It was a very nice afternoon and evening that put us in a good mood to face the “fun” of out jungle cabin.

By the way, as we were spending the whole of the next day at the falls, we had to check out in the morning, but they kept out bags for us and allowed us to shower and change when we got back in the evening.

The few staff that we met where pleasant and helpful; nothing bit us in the cabin, and the bed was clean and we had hot water in the bathroom…after a little wait

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We stayed here two nights in April, 2014. I debated between 2 and 3 point rating. The lodge is rustic enough and the main lodge is nice and the pool is nice, not spectacular by any means but nice. I gave a low rating as I felt the rooms were quite substandard. I understand the selva environment is going to be damp at times, especially with the tree canopy but, the room was very musty and the bed sheets and the bed (and smelled) felt damp and musty (I just told myself not to think about it and just fall a sleep). I've been to South America and to this part of the world several times over the past 20+ years and I don't expect the same standards as North America, however, this is a very large tourist destination and much of the industry in Iguazu is now world class. Twenty years ago I would have accepted the quality of the bedroom for a 4 star hotel in SA, but not in 2014 and not in Iguazu. My family and I stayed at a beautiful lodge in Peru in the heart of the rainforest a few years ago and it was a try 5 star hotel!! This place needs a lot of maintenance and much better house keeping, for the experienced traveller in Latin America, this place does not rate a 4. I give it a solid 2!!

Room Tip: Check the experience and history of the reviewer before accepting the rating as fact!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank HARCal
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed here for one night (was booked to be two). The setup of the lodge is pretty cool, very rustic and you feel like you're really in the jungle. They had that part taken care of very well.
The room was very rustic and a little too rustic for us. The best wasn't that comfortable and it was a king but was the two full size beds pushed together.
The bathroom setup was okay nothing spectacular but got the job done.
The breakfast was tasty and there was a good variety of things to eat.
The one drawback that we had was related to service in one area: the first morning we were there a foul smell was coming from the toilet, we called the front desk to get it checked out and the clerk asked when we would be out so they could have someone check it out. Dude, I need to use the toilet ... I'm not going to run the gauntlet in trying to find a public bathroom. Either way they did get it corrected a few hours later. However, there was never an acknowledgement or apology.
If you're looking for basic accommodations with a unique feel then you'll be happy with this location.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I stayed for 2 nights in this hotel in March 2014. At first, I was not sure of staying in a lodge near a subtropical jungle but it turned out to be a really nice hotel. The hotel has an interesting look, with log type construction. The hotel reception staff were very nice and they even gave me directions to take the local bus to downtown Iguazu and return back. The restaurant was nice too.

A couple of things to note but these are not necessarily the hotel's fault:
(1) The hot water took a long time in the early morning to come through the faucets. The reception staff explained to me that I had to run the water for 10 minutes for the hot water to reach the cabins from the heater in the main area. So, be aware of this if you are an early morning riser and want to take a shower early.

(2) When I was trying to sleep, I heard like fire crackers or explosions near the room. I thought someone was lighting fire crackers, but then I thought it could not be possible as it would be dangerous to do it. It turned out that the animals or birds were chewing on the small fruits on the trees near the roof of the cabin and when those fruits or twigs fell from the tree onto the metal roof, it sounded like an explosion. Once I figured that out, it was okay, and the hotel reception staff confirmed that too.

The hotel had free wifi and it was better than the wifi I had in a hotel in Buenos Aires. The restaurant had good breakfast too. You can also walk to one side of the hotel to see some natives and a horse stall on the other side. I would highly recommend this hotel and would stay there again, if I visit Iguazu Falls.

Room Tip: If you would like a good night's sleep, choose rooms that are not too close to trees. Otherwise, the fruits or twigs falling on metal roof of the cabins can be very loud and even sound like explosions, and may keep you awake and wondering.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo