“Terrible”

Pirayu Lodge & Resort
Wales
“Terrible”
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We stayed there during a week in december 2008, we had our Christmas there!
When we arrived was late, and dark, so they took us to the lodge and we thought oh my god! downhill with a pushchair, up and down steps and who knows what else, I was given the week by a member of the time share so she arranged for a 3 bedrooms, but we only had 2. Of the 2 one had the fan ceiling working on maximum one speed always and was frightening. The other one the fan had burning smell and the air conditioning unit wasnt working (35C at least to give you an idea and with 2 kids) of it so wasnt really nice, maintenance came and sorted the air conditioning unit but we ended with one fun only max speed and one not working. We had 2 bathrooms, and both of them had problems with the flushing systems, called for help but never got done in the week there. The decorations and curtains were dated, black outs ripped like you had a jaguar staying in the room at some point. The towels were probably the same ones since they ever opened and were with holes in them!
The maids that serviced them were fine, only good thing to say about the place, hard working people.
You have the swimming pool and jacuzzis with a bar, that only opened in the afternoons if that, The restaurant was always empty if not shut and breakfast was OK but not brilliant. We had room service most of the time, and every time you ordered the meals were looking or tasting different so what was lovely today, not sure if it was good the next time you ordered.
The reception staff was rude and I do speak and understand their language perfectly so they were no communication issues...
We had a welcome night with a drink and a pastie (empanadas) there were one per person and my kids didn't count! So not looking good from the beginning. We paid extra a lot of money for the Christmas Eve dinner which was ok and the best thing of the trip were the people sharing the resort with us, which all agreed that was a shambles. We also paid for a Christmas lunch, and they served us the left overs from the day before!!! I remember once we ordered a burger and came with egg and one of us doesnt eat egg so I apologise and explained, so they took it back and they brought the same one without the egg, you could see it there, so I explained i was going to pay for another one with no egg and quickly had a new one!
Wifi wasnt working, only worked in the lobby, and the phone in the room it only worked to call reception or room service.
Shops were not close, and we managed to get some groceries, but unless you had a car, you were nearly in the middle of the jungle at the most horrible and unfriendly place.
And to finish it I had to pay for all our room service and extras like Christmas dinners, etc, so when I wanted to pay they said only accepted American express i think so I needed to get cash! which meant 3/4 trips to town and to get money of cash points with a limit and on festive days banks don't open so a complete nightmare. If I ever go again to Iguazu, I know where I am not going. And I told my friend to stop paying her time share!!! My partner thought we were at N Bates Hotel!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Gri80

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
New York
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I decided to take my family to Iguazu, as it is one of those places where you need to go at least once in a lifetime. I was travelling around in Brazil, but opted to stay in the Argentinian side, because it is signification cheaper to do so, tourism wise.
The location was great, as it was about 15 minutes away from the falls, but still within the city limits.
The lodge was awful, pool under construction, activities planned, but nothing really happened. The unit we got was a two bedroom, to bathroom, but not well kept at all. The kitchen and appliances were really old and incomplete. To top it off, the bathrooms were so outdated, that the toilet constantly flushed, but never when needed. When asked for the toilet to get fixed, then basically said to give up....
The phone in the unit did not work, the air conditioner, were units in the main bedroom and living room, but nowhere else. They had a restaurant, but it was never open.
The front desk was not 24hr, and during the later or earlier hours of the day, only one person worked.
Mosquitoes were a huge problem, as the unit was not well insulated.

If it were not for my trusted driver and Iguazu being so close, this would have been a horrible trip to say the least. Although we were tired, I tried to spend every second of the day and night somewhere else.
The place is so out dated, that the key is a skeleton style key, and you can tell it was not done for ambiance or style. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank autocatabolism

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Iguazu hotels

Sonoma, California
Reviewed 28 July 2010

if you are not Argentine....DO NOT STAY HERE!!!! They were the rudest, nastiest people I have EVER stayed with. I have traveled to almost 100 countries and stayed in some scary places, but this place was the absolute worst! overpriced, not worth a dime...it was nothing like the pictures, the beds were tiny, bathrooms gross, and the people who ran it were so amazingly rude, I can't even begin to say. They ruined our trip to Iguazu, and my partner's 50th birthday. I have never posted a negative review, but be warned, this place is awful! I searched the internet for weeks, and finally settled on this place because they seemed nice, but like an idiot, I prepayed the rediculous amount via western union. I have rarely left a place feeling like I was so cheated. STAY AWAY...

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple