“Best place we found for Puerto Iguazú”

Garden Stone Hostel
London, United Kingdom
“Best place we found for Puerto Iguazú”
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed in room 1, private room with double bed, shared bathroom.

Pros:
- Close to the bus station yet in a quiet and safe area
- Nice back garden with hammocks and a small swimming pool
- Nice and informative reception staff
- A/C and fan in the room
- Decent breakfast: buffet style, choice from cereal, crackers, scrambled eggs, un toasted sliced bread, chewy bread, bad orange juice, oranges, tea/coffee/powdered chocolate

Cons:
- Early check-out time: 10 am
- Soft, worn mattress
- Suicide showers
- Doors are squeaky and close to one another, as result a light sleeper can be awoken early by people using the toilets
- Room is right next to reception's entrance; noises can be heard from early in the morning. Quiet at night though (low season, can't comment how it'd be in high season).
- Closet with naftaline pills made everything we put in it and the room impregnated with a pungent naftaline smell
- Wi-fi signal weak and patchy, unreliable

As a side note, other places nearby our hostel had quite loud music banging at the reception area until at least midnight, from early morning (Mango Chill, Hostel Bambú). It's worth checking if the hostel of your choice follows this practice

Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights in a double room with private bathroom, it was a wooden cabin. I did find some ants in the bed which freaked me out a little but I guess it's to be expected. I really loved the garden, the trees, plants, hammocks and little lights at night were beautiful. We stayed in winter but I imagine it would be lovely to sit out in during summer. The man we spoke to when we checked in was very helpful. The hostel is a short walk to the bus station, convenient for visiting the falls. Breakfast is okay, rise early if you want scrambled eggs as they were cold when we got there.

Stayed July 2014
Valdivia, Chile
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed in this hostal for 3 nights and I loved it for it's beautiful garden. That wunderful garden with it's banana plants, palms, exotic flowers and hammocks is really giving you that middle america feeling. The hostal team is very helpful and friendly. The rooms are clean, not to small and the lockers are amply. The Hostal is located right in the village some blocks from the bus terminal away. The area is calm but the center with bars and shops is just some blocks away. The distances in that village are really low. So you can walk anywhere and also in the night it's a very safe place. The breakfast was ordinary. Nothing special but not bad. Due to the tropical area I missed some more fruits for breakfast.

Room Tip: The hostal provides female dorms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This was a great hostel and a perfect place to stay to relax after seeing the falls. The staff were extremely helpful and made sure we had everything we needed to make our visit to the falls a success. They can also help you book tours and activities at the falls for a discount, which is a great help.

To top it all off they also went above and beyond in helping one of my friends who came down with an eye infection. The owner personally arranged a doctor for her to see and then took her to the pharmacy to get her medicines. You don't see this awesome level of service or caring very often and I would like to personally thank them for their help.

The rooms are very well kept and clean, and the highlight of the hostel is definitely the amazing garden. It was truly a rejuvenating time to be able to lay down on a hammock in their garden and relax. The hostel is a little bit away from the main city and primary restaurant areas so its a little bit of a hike to get there, but its worth it to be away from the party hostels and have a nice quiet time.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank J T
Santa Cruz, Galapagos, Ecuador
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Booked 2 weeks in advance and confirmed that I had a private room with shared bathroom booked for two people for 310pesos. The day before emailed to just confirm and got on a plane to iguazu. The flight was delayed, got in 3 hours later then anticipated and Garden Stone said they could only give us the matrimonial suite which was over 100pesos more then what we confirmed in our reservation. They would not budge with any understanding, it is now midnight and we were told we had to stay in more expensive room tonight and change to shared dorms (cramped and stuffy) for the next night. Staff was unwilling to help, the "expensive room" had sheets that were clearly just fabreezed instead of washed and we turned on fan to allievate chemical spray smell and the fan broke 10min later. There are plenty of other hostels in the area, and I am taking my business elsewhere as I recommend anyone else does too. I'm currently using Garden Stone computer to write this review and leaving to next hotel immediatly when I finish. Terrible experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Carolyn K
Ludwigsburg, Germany
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Beautiful, calm, safe compound, small but nice and a beautiful, exotic garden, computer station with free Internet. You can buy mineral water and beer from the reception, but you're also welcome to bring your own stuff, there is a clean kitchen and a fridge in one of the houses on the compound
When I arrived, they offered to call somebody who speaks English (as I do not speak any Spanish), but that proved completely unnecessary - they are perfectly equipped with free maps and brochures, I was perfectly able to understand every direction and advice they gave me. All the info was superhelpful. There is info on tours, tickets, maps of the cataracts, which bus to take to the national park or Brazil, etc.
The hostel is nicely located: calm but only a couple of minutes walking from downtown where you can find restaurants, cafes, take-away-frood, a bank, a supermarket, the main bus station.
I strongly recommend "La Misionera" at Perito Moreno, some 700m from the hostel - cheep, great, yummy empanadas (also for take-away).
I had a double room, bed was very nice; however, I stayed solo, it would have been very narrow if we'd been two people in there. The one thing I really didn't like was the location of my room: It was opposite the shared toilets and the shared living room, and it was pretty loud from that side until late at night. The only window opened directly to the entrance of the reception - again you could hear voices, shouts and laughter until late in the night and from early in the mornings on...

Room Tip: Don't go for room no 1 - too noisy
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Dan831984
Cannonvale, Australia
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for four nights with my boyfriend. We had to book into two different rooms as the standard double was sold out on the 3rd and 4th night of our stay. So we had two nights initially in the standard double with a shared bathroom. It is tiny but does the job! It had a fan and a/c which were great! Wifi was good too. Bathrooms were clean and nice.
On the 3rd and 4th night we stayed in the deluxe double-it was a cabin outside but still had ok wifi. Not as strong but fine. It was spacious and clean. I spotted a few ants on the floor but I guess you'll have than in a cabin! However it was FREEZING! I went to reception to ask for a heater or to turn the air con on 'hot' but the man at the desk (owner I think) told me to put on more clothes in the room!!!!!! That the air con was for cooling only. No blanket/heater was offered. The shower only had an on button so it couldn't be regulated and it too was cold!!!

The worst thing about the hostel is the kitchen. If you plan on cooking in the hostel, my advice is book somewhere else right now. The kitchen is gross. There are cats in the sink!!! The kitchen is pretty much outside. It's covered obviously but it's outside. It is very very poorly equipped and very badly kept. The cats are on the tables, counter tops, in the sink.....it's disgusting! We couldn't cook here. However, we did go to a fabulous restaurant across the road called La Toscana which I would highly recommend but this did stretch our budget. We're on a year long holiday so eating out for 4 nights isn't the best for the finances!

The hosts speak very little English. The young man who would work mostly in the evening was lovely though and very helpful. The location is good and they offer cheaper prices on tours to iguazu. They have a pool too which I saw being cleaned twice in the morning.
All in all, it was only okay..

• Stayed April 2014