“Good location and helpful staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hostel Bambu Puerto Iguazu

Hostel Bambu Puerto Iguazu
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Good location and helpful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

The staff is very helpful. I just asked about how one goes to São Paulo and right away the receptionist started calling around asking the prices with different bus agencies. I was there alone so I liked that the staff always said hello and remembered my name. The breakfast was good with the only good croissants I have had on my 7 months travel around South America. The rooms have real air condition and not just a fan! Lovely in the very humid heat. In the heat you can as well use the pool of another hostel nearby. Good location: close to the bus station and the center of the small town of Puerto Iguazu, and the bus to go to Brazil passes right by in front.
The only problem was the sewer problem which meant blocked toilets and there was a continuously lack of toilet paper the 3 days I stayed.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank mettefr89

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Billericay, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

If you want to crash out at the end of the day obllvious to your surroundings this is the place for you. The hostel seems to be run by young men and their stantards tend not to be high. The computer is great but everything from there is downhill. I booked into the ten bed dorm and the mould stains on the ceiling creeping down the walls was enough to put me off, the bathrooms had probably been clean in the morning by by the evening when I arrived they put me off having a shower. My boyfriiend was arriving from England and we had booked a double room but when I looked at the bedroom the stain on the bedspread was enough for me to cancel the booking and move out the next morning. The staff working during the day were extremely helpful.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2012

We stayed in a double room for 3 nights. The rooms were basic and clean, but could do with a new coat of paint, for the price of accommodation in Puerto Iguasso it represents good value.

The amazing thing about this hostel would be the staff, each morning they would ask us what we were doing for the day and would then help us with bookings, bus timetables etc (at no charge). They offered great advice regarding restaurants and cheap cafes. This as all done without prompting from us and appeared to be a genuine desire to be helpful, not to sell a tour or take commission from a booking.

The hostel also has a nice bar, a well equipped kitchen and is no more than a 5 min walk from the central bus terminal (which is the center of town and the transport hub for seeing the falls).

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012 via mobile

We stayed in a private room for two nights. The room was spacious and clean with a very comfortable bed. The level of service from the staff at the hostel was fantastic - they were very helpful in giving details of how best to get to the falls and happily booked us a taxi to the airport.

Breakfast was very very basic with bread, croissants, a bit of fruit and coffee. It was fine though. The wifi did not work well outside the common area and was pretty slow.

The proximity to town is great and when visiting the falls puerto iguazu is a much nicer base than foz do iguacu - safer, cleaner and generally prettier.

• Stayed September 2012
Essex, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

Me and my friend stayed here for two nights two weeks ago during a visit to see Iguazu falls, and it was great for a hostel. We booked a double room with a private bathroom, it was basic, as we were expecting, enough space, comfy bed, plenty of hot water, breakfast, lockers, everything you need really.

It was 5 minute walk to the central bus station where you get the night buses from Buenos Aires or Brazil etc., which is next to all the streets with shops and restaurants, but far enough away to be quiet which I liked, and felt very safe. We originally walked into the Bambu hostel which you come across first, (its sister hostel) and they have a pool and have bbq's in evening where you can go and eat. We did this on the second night and had the biggest steak I have ever seen in my life, it was the beast food we'd eaten during our travels and good price. But best of all the guy that runs it helped us with our bags to our hostel, which was great as we are those stupid travelers that take suitcases and far to many shoes (and about 5 bottles of booze - but we didn't tell him that when he asked us what we had in our bags!!) The reason for this is we were away on business tagging on some whilst in that part of the world, and not backpackers. Bambu mini has a bar and garden courtyard area.

When we arrived the lady on the front desk was fantastic, she gave us so much information, we didn't have to ask anyone else anything. She gave us a route to take round the Argentinian side of the falls, and how to get their etc. We had already booked to go with a tour company to see both sides of the falls, as we weren't sure how accessible it was before we got there. But you could just go by yourself without a guide easily, although there is a lot to do in a day an its a huge place and there isn't one part thats not worth seeing, you must do it all, so it helped us having someone else leading the way and making sure we saw everything.

If you go to the falls, allow one full day to do Argentinian side and half day to do the Brazilian side, both sides must be done. Also if you're brave do the speed boat trip, but take a towel and a change of clothes or swimwear or something, you get completely soaked and don't have enough sun or time to dry off before coming home and sitting on a bus soaked through. I have never got so wet in my whole life, not even in the shower!!! Its quite mad as you don't actually get to see the falls from that close because you can't even open your eyes. But if you have young kids I would not recommend it. A family were on our boat with a toddler, she was terrified. In fact we got soaked both sides of the falls on pretty much every part we went to!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

I am on a long cycling tour of South America. Having travelled non-stop through Uruguay, southern Brazil and Misiones, Argentina - I needed to take a week off and rest. The hostel I had originally planned on staying at was full, fortunately they sent me here. You do need to be aware that there are two Hostel Bambu's. You pass the other property on the way to this one. Reports at the other property were not great, but it is currently undergoing a refurbishment.

I settled into the large dormitory which is huge, not just plenty of beds, but also plenty of free space. Ablutions were cleaned daily, water is hot. Toilets take a little practice in that they are quite cramped. There is plenty of space to relax, although it may be a little bit cramped if the hostel was full and the heavens opened.

WiFi is the best quality I have had in two months - was able to Skype, upload large photos and videos without a problem. Breakfast is pretty simple, but more than adequate. Bus station, shops, restaurants and a laundry services are all within 2 mins walking distance.

Staff all speak excellent English and will greet and speak to you on a first name basis after a day. Information provided is excellent, not only for the standard tourist stuff like visiting the falls, but some more specialist stuff like arranging for some clients to have their money changed on site to giving me directions to doctors, trying to load pre-paid mobile cards etc.

Big thank you to Juan, Chris and Roberto for looking after me for an entire week!

PS - I left my helmet lying under my bed, please make sure that someone uses it at least.

Room Tip: Lights in the bathroom tend to stay on all night, so consider this when picking your bed!