“Comfortable and reasonable price”
Review of Los Helechos

Los Helechos
Ashland, Oregon
“Comfortable and reasonable price”
Reviewed 10 January 2009

I originally booked a double room at Los Heleches, but my partner was not able to make that part of the trip. The manager was very willing to change my room to one with two twin beds, at a reduced price. The room was comfortable, facing out to the interior courtyard, and had air conditioning and ceiling fan. The bathroom was large and clean.

There is a restaurant at the hotel, which serves dinner, as well as the included breakfast. The dinner is a buffet, complete with good salad bar, several varieties of chicken and and beef, and even cooked vegetables (a rarity in Argentina). They even included dessert. The price was 30 pesos ($9 US).

The breakfast was less spectacular, a basic continental breakfast of coffee or tea, breads with jelly, and some kind of sugary cereal.

The pool is small and in a small courtyard with no shade. It can be very hot midday.

Close to bus station. Internet on two computers in the lobby. Stop by the Saint George hotel next door for some cooling off. I think you can tap into their wireless too.

I enjoyed my stay and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dragon55

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 2 January 2009

Hotel was pretty good, not great. The room was a little drab, and the bed wasn't the best, but it was fairly clean and secure, and the TV worked and got a good range of channels. The breakfast was lackluster, and the service was okay. It is only a short walk away from the main bus station and the better restauarants in town and is on a quiet and apparently safe street lined with other hotels. For the value ($108AR for a single when I stayed) I thought it was worth it.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness
  • Disliked — Just a little blah in general
  • Stayed July 2008
2 Thank axcxtxixoxn
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed 22 September 2008

This was the only time we've relied on a travel agent at an airport to book us in somewhere .... and the rating of 2 (nearly a 1) suggests that's not a great idea! The positives are location - a couple of blocks from some good restaurants and the bus station (which is useful in Iguazu) and it does have a pool. But overall it just feels old, grim and dirty.

It looks OK from the outside but as soon as we went in I knew it wasn't for us - just a tired old hotel with no character. Room was spacious enough but just had a feeling of grubbiness. The toilet overflowed when flushed - covering you with goodness knows what if you didn't move quickly - the water wasn't hot one morning and there's no maid service at all. Breakfast was varied but just not particularly appetising - and the ants crawling out of the hot water thermos really put me off my mate. And it's not particularly cheap.

I'm sure there's better near the bus station than this. We moved after 2 nights to RioTropic.

• Liked — Location was OK
  • Disliked — Most of it
  • Stayed September 2008
1 Thank Burntwood

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Iguazu hotels

Geneva
Reviewed 31 May 2008

There are 2 types of rooms in Los Helechos.... First day, I was given a terrible depressing room, and asked for another one; they gave me a much nicer one (a little more expensive, a few dollars more, but it is worth it).

I'm going back there with my husband next year and will definitely stay again at Los Helechos.

• Liked — Quality-Price Ratio
  • Disliked — They should inform tourists about the 2 types of rooms
  • Stayed January 2003, travelled solo
1 Thank Biboulinette
The Netherlands
Reviewed 25 March 2008

We booked a room at Los Helechos because of the positive reviews at Tripadvisor. At that time tofu_dog's review wasn't there yet, but that review is so accurate. We stayed there only for one night and we were glad to leave. The place is run down. The lights in the room didn't work and the toilet was constantly leaking water. Breakfast was a disappointment. I know the place wasn't too expensive, but still it could have some more quality.
We had a superior room, which means with air conditioning. Standard rooms do not have air conditioning.
We have made our booking by sending them an email. They quoted us a rate of 105 pesos. At our bill there was a rate of 180 pesos, which I assume is the walk in rate. By showing the email in print the woman changed the bill, but she didn't look very happy. I think the room was worth 105 pesos, but not one peso more.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room and breakfast
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 21 March 2008

My wife and I had at best a fair experience at Hosteria Los Helechos. This hotel is in the budget category, which we're very familiar with, but in comparison with other hotels and inns in this category, I'd say it is more toward the bottom. For the price, we weren't expecting a five-star experience, but there are just certain elements of basic hospitality and cleanliness that should be expected from any tourist accommodation.

Let's start with the pluses. Los Helechos is located in a very convenient part of Puerto Iguazu. The bus terminal, where you'll make all your connections to Iguazu Falls in Argentina or Brazil, is just three blocks away. Similarly, most of the restaurants in town as well as a number of grocery stores are also within short walking distance. The nearest bank/ATM is about a 15-minute walk. The air conditioning in our room worked well, which is important if you're visiting in the summer, as we were. There are two Internet access computers in the lobby, which are available for use at very modest rates in 30 minute increments.

Needs improvement: Our room was dimly lit and marginally clean. Most disappointing were all the dead bugs smashed on the walls. I know this is the rain forest, and there are bugs, but seeing their remnants like so much wallpaper made bug spray a requirement before sleeping. The linens could use some updating. The bathrooms are very small and cramped, and that goes for the showers as well. Breakfast largely consisted of leftover dinner rolls from the night before, a sad looking fruit cocktail, juice, and coffee. Ham and cheese are available, but you have to ask specifically for it. Los Helechos has its own restaurant, but in the two nights we stayed there, we never saw a soul dining in it.

Now for the "needs major improvement" category. Service here was terrible. The woman who greeted us, who shall remain nameless, was about the most unhelpful person we've encountered in our travels. She basically wanted nothing else than to check us in and be left alone. When we asked her about moonlight tours of Iguazu Falls, she told us to call the park administration and that she didn't have the number, and pointed us to the lobby payphone. The payphone didn't work, so she said we could use the front desk phone if we paid her. She dialed the number for us, told the person on the other side to hold for me, and she handed the phone to me, whereupon I had to ask for an English-speaking representative. Afterward, I offered the park administration number to her to write down for future reference for other guests, and she acted like it I was inconveniencing her. Later on, we witnessed her in a heated exchange with a Spanish-speaking guest, who no doubt had less tolerance for her antics. Upon checkout, she said that the shuttle to the airport had already left, and that we'd need a taxi. We didn't believe her, and guess what, she was wrong.

So, in summary, Hosteria Los Helechos is a decent place if you're an independent, never-rely-on-others type and looking for an air-conditioned place to sleep close to the bus terminal. The place is fairly cheap, but don't expect good value. Caveat emptor!

• Liked — Location is convenient to the bus terminal
  • Disliked — Horrible, lazy service
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tofu_dog
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 11 December 2007

I stayed here for 3 nights in November and was very satisfied.

I stayed in one of the older rooms with a fan. The cost was about 100 pesos per night for a single with breakfast. However, this part of Argentina can be ferociously hot in the summer (Dec. through March) . During that time period, you probably want a room with a/c.

This hotel is very popular , and it is advisable to contact the hotel in advance for reservations instead of just showing up at the door.

The hotel also has an excellent location. It is only a block from the bus station, where you can catch a bus to the falls or pretty much anywhere else you want to go.

You really need to give the falls and the park at least 2 full days to do it justice. The majority of foreign tourists only give the park and falls part of one day - which is not enough for one of the world's great attractions.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled solo