“A constant stream of problems, but staff tried to help”
Review of Hotel Saint George

Hotel Saint George
Ranked #11 of 50 Hotels in Puerto Iguazu
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“A constant stream of problems, but staff tried to help”
Reviewed 16 January 2013

I spent 2 days, 1 night in the area and lodged at this hotel. My reason for choosing the Hotel Saint George was logistics: the location right in front of the bus terminal was incredibly convenient for me, and as another tripadvisor contributor suggested it, I was sold on the idea from the start.

From the moment I arrived at 1:20pm after a 16 hour bus ride, all I wanted was my room and a shower - particularly as I wasn't accustomed to the high humidity and sub-tropic weather conditions. Unfortunately their rule about a 2pm check-in was not flexible and I had no choice but to proceed straight to my sightseeing exactly as I was. The man behind the desk consoled me a little by saying that I could have a shower after my day of sightseeing the next day and before I got on my bus to leave Iguazu, even though I would have already been checked out...

Once I returned to the hotel that day from visiting the falls, I couldn't have been more desperate for a shower. I went to my room (which was a big triple with spacious bathroom luckily), and discovered that there was no hot water! I called the desk several times and they sent someone to have a look, but all he could do was confirm that yes, there was no hot water.

After an hour of calls to the desk, by this point it was 8:30 and I was also very hungry. I asked for a room change, and I eventually was given one and also upgraded for the inconvenience, which was appreciated. By the time this was all settled it was so late and I was so famished that I had to go to dinner, alas, without a shower.

When I finally got my shower I was so grateful - there was hot water too. And, the internet connection was better in this wing of the hotel (they say they have wifi throughout the premises, but sadly there are many parts of the building where the wifi just doesn't pick up). I slept well, in spite of the dripping from the air conditioning unit.

The next morning I was generally satisfied with breakfast. There was tea, coffee, juices and water, and to eat there were various types of breads and pastries as well as hard-boiled eggs, sausage/hot dogs, ham, cheese and fruit. Checkout was easy too, as they had made me pay for the room upon check-in.

After a day of walking in Iguazu, when I returned to the hotel before catching my bus so that I could have that long-desired shower I was promised the day before, I was told that it was "occupied" and unavailable! This was very much the last straw for me, but luckily one of the men behind the desk knew of the difficulties I had the night before, and let me use the shower in the spa, which would otherwise not have been permitted.

Anything else... the computers require you to buy an internet access card with a code. The pool is nice and was a selling point for me, but sadly was overrun by screaming children. The food options at the bar behind the pool are expensive and disappointing. The rate for the room was well more than the hotel is worth. The location, however, is as convenient as can be.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank globetrotter1979

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
perth
Reviewed 15 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed here 2 nights to see the falls.
Our room was damp and smelt strange and even though we were on our honeymoon, we were given 2 beds.
Food by the pool was ok, but breakfast was horrible. All sweet pastries and breads. Looked amazing until you actually come to choosing what to eat!
Again, an ok place to stay as a stepping stone to see the waterfalls.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank kimmy009
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Stayed here for my trip to Iguazu falls. The hotel looked great over the internet, and the reviews seemed good enough, so I decided to book it.

The Staff: Fantastic! Very helpful, and comprehensive to travelers' needs.

Food: Breakfast is excellent. Very complete.

Hotel Itself: It must have been great, but it needs a bit of maintenance. Little things here and there would help. The A/C untis are really old, and don't blow cold air from the entire system (only a small portion of the A/C works) which in turn results in a very hot room that takes 2 days to cool down. The fans don't work, so that will not really help.

Besides that, the hotel is actually pretty good. It has a good location downtown, and plenty of restaurants in the area to eat at.

Room Tip: Definitely go for the Suites. The single bed rooms are very sad, and the beds are tiny.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Centrally located, nice place. Rooms are ok as well as bathrooms. Buffet breakfast included (no egg options, just what is served). The pool is ok. Good service! Mini bar and food is expensive.

It is a good option.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Stephanie V
Berkshire
Reviewed 7 January 2013

6 of our larger group had added a visit to Iguazu Falls to our itinerary. On arrival we were all given upgrades so had huge rooms with two double beds, very comfy too. The hotel was located in the town just outside the National Park, a few yards up a side street off the main road. This is an advantage as you have more choices of eating places all within very easy walking distance. If travelling independently the bus station was only yards away on the main road. Our room was at the front of the hotel but it was very quiet. Humming birds flitted around the flowers in the garden.

Breakfast was a tour de force - superb choices, beautifully presented and lots of it. We personally didn't have dinner in the hotel but the others in our group did and pronounced it very good.

There was a lovely swimming pool to cool off in after a steamy day visiting the Falls and a pleasant bar area to get coffee and snacks, a light lunch (quite substantial in fact!) or pre-dinner drink. Computers were available off the reception area with 20 mins free usage. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly.

Used by many locals which is always a good sign. Would highly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 4 January 2013 via mobile

Had a room in the older building. Room was clean but carpet could have used a steam cleaning. One towel and pillow case had stains! Gross. First night we found small ants all over above the window! I killed them with a rag a few came back the next day. Pool area was nice though. Pool was clean.
Breakfast was ok. Fresh fruit was nice.
Overall the staff was very friendly.
A bit over priced IMO but that's the high season for you.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 January 2013

We stayed here one night. The swimming pool was skanky (cloudy water.....). The breakfast was bare bones, with the soft boiled eggs not arriving until we had to leave. The room stank and the air-conditioning unit dripped all night onto the rug, forcing us to put a towel down to minimize the noise.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple