“Lovely hostel”

Mango Tree Hostel Bar
Reviewed 3 May 2013

This hostel is very charming! The decor of the building is very cheerful and welcoming, and the grounds made it feel like you were living on a ranch in Iguazu. I am mostly giving it 4 stars because the place was very relaxed and the staff was very friendly. However, the bedrooms smelled like acetone, and my friends and I had some trouble breathing. A few previous reviewers mentioned bedbugs, and although I never experienced any during my stay there, the smell may have been due to fumigation. The bedrooms were air-conditioned though, which is great considering how hot Iguazu can get, even during the fall. The pool area was very nice, even though the pool itself was pretty dirty. The breakfast was complimentary and delicious. The location was very convenient, and a short walking distance from the town's bakeries and restaurants. It's not the best, but at around $12 USD a night, you get more than you pay for.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 February 2013

Picture this... it's late at night, you've had a long day, it's hot and you're tired. You crawl into bed only to feel a bit itchy, and notice bugs the size of apple pips on your bed and under your pillow (surely they can't be bed bugs, bedbugs are microscopic aren't they?) You get out of bed and quickly check Google to see what a bedbug looks like. They are bedbugs, so you wake the others in the room (4 bed dorm) and when you turn on the light you notice they are EVERYWHERE, crawling all over the walls as well.

I had read reviews that there were bedbugs in Mango Tree, but it was toprated on Hostelworld and Tripadvisor, so I thought it would be worth the risk. DON'T DO IT! I booked 3 nights accommodation here, and didn't even get to spend a full night. We showed the manager, he didn't seem surprised and claimed that the room had been "fumigated" and that it's likely someone else from the outside brought them in. Seriously though, an infestation like that didn't just happen overnight.

After a couple of minutes of calling around, they said there were no available beds in any other hostels or hotels in Puerto Iguazu. (yeah, right!) They finally found us some beds in the hostel just across the road. So we had to pack and move all of our stuff at 2am.

The real issue here is not that they have bedbugs, it's that management don't seem to really care. They get a passing trade in Iguazu, and are not reliant on repeat business. People probably don't even realise that they've been bitten or that they're carrying bedbugs to the next hostel they go to (hence the good reviews). The next day there were more unsuspecting backpackers in our old room. I also met a guy from a different dorm who had the same problem. He had a late night shower and found bedbugs on his towel.

They really need to shut the hostel down, buy new beds and mattresses. They seem to "fumigate" one bedroom at a time (or not at all) and so the entire hostel is just rife with bedbugs.

I assumed the Mango Tree would be paying for at least one night in our new accommodation, as well as the cost of laundering all of our clothes. They didn't.

A couple of other bugbears... the pool was closed, the shower only had hot water (not cool in a tropical climate), the toilet seat was broken, there was no soap in the dispenser, you had to pay to rent towels, and wifi kept dropping out in the rooms.

I hope some people find this useful and opt NOT to stay there!

Room Tip: ALL rooms have bedbugs!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank aoife_ob
Reviewed 1 February 2013 via mobile

BEDBUGS!!!! EVERYWHERE!! Everything was fine until one of my roommates woke me up at 2:30 am and told me there are Bedbugs everywhere. And yes there were bedbugs everywhere. I was shocked about the amount of bugs. All 4 of the room left the hostel during the night. Next day I went there and ask for a refund....I asked as well if there are new people in the room -> Answer was yes but we cleand the room. Speechless I left, no base for a conversation given.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank mirko1111
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I stayed at this hostel for one night only but that was more than enough. I was in the 14 bed dorm and had a terrible night! Soon after I fell asleep I started itching. When I took my flash light to check the bed, I found lots of bedbugs. For a while I killed them and tried to sleep but by 4 am I couldn't take it any longer. When I took a closer look at the seam of the mattress, I found a hell of a lot of bedbugs...YUCK! They were crawling all over the bed frame as well.
So I went to reception to request a bed in another room...I changed my clothes and left all my luggage in the old room.

I left early the next morning to go to the falls so I figured I would talk to the hostel when I get back. When I got back somebody threw all my stuff that I left on the bed (didn't want to put it in my backpack in case there were still bugs on my clothes) on the ground and somebody else was using my bed?!
So I went to reception and was told that I could keep the bed I changed to during the night. I told them that the infestation was reeeeally bad (even showed them the bedbugs I killed) and that I really didn't think that somebody else should be sleeping in my bed. They told me they cleaned it all and it was okay. I really don't think so!

Anyway...of course before unpacking in the new room I checked my new mattress and found more bedbugs! And that was in a room on the other side of the building. I told the lady at reception I didn't want to stay and it was no problem... but what shocked me was that she obviously didn't care and didn't even ask which bed was mine in the new room and where I found the bedbugs.

Also, breakfast was absolutely awful...I didn't spend enough time to experience the bar or the pool so I don't know about that.

Room Tip: I was in the 14 bed dorm first, in the bed on the right hand side in the first small room when you c...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank doedae
Reviewed 22 January 2013

Great Hostel, great location and very sympathetic people running the place. I recommend trying the steak. I had it on new years eve and it was the biggest and best I've had in Argentina to date.

There is always something going on in the Hostel, but the bar is far enough away from the rooms that you can choose between a party or a good night's sleep before going to the falls.

Ask about the Farinha for some authentic local cuisine in the area

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 January 2013 via mobile

One of the best hostels I have stayed in! Staff are awesome and very helpful. Location is right by the bus station and near everything. Atmosphere is great, you can chill or hang at the bar by the pool and meet a great bunch of fellow travelers. Oh and THE STEAK! Best in Argentina, cooked at the hostel, it is a thing to behold and rivals the falls themselves.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 6 December 2012

This place was really great, confortable and clean. The rooms are clean, beds are confortable for a hostel, and there's a lot of areas where you can chill and enjoy the wifi, even around the swiming pool.
The staff is awesome, patient and welcoming, explaining over and over how to get to the falls!! They're really helpful on anything, and seem always happy to do so.
At night they propose nice (and huge..) steaks on the bbq, wich is really cool and a great way to meet other guests and staff, if wanted, although you obviously don't have to.
Would definitely recommend this place, while travelling it's always good to end up in place like this really!

• Stayed: December 2012