“Terrific place to stay”

Ranked #1 of 52 Puerto Iguazu B&B and Inns
Seattle, Washington
“Terrific place to stay”
Reviewed 25 August 2011

John is helpful and available, and even took us on a tour of town on arrival. Bar none the best breakfast in Argentina, with papaya and other fruit, unbelievable banana bread and fresh-squeezed orange juice, and assorted breads.

The room was spacious but otherwise quite simple. The bathroom was also adequate.

But you won't be spending much time in your room. At 7 John hosts cocktail hour(s) on the patio, replete with dangerously good caipirinhas and some munchies.

The place could be a bit closer to the center, but that's the tradeoff with a guesthouse, plus Puerto Iguazu is so small it's not a big deal. The B&B is pretty close to a bus stop.

• Stayed August 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Chatou, France
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We stayed for 3 nights, which we thoroughly enjoyed, even though for a B&B it is quite expensive The drinks at 7pm with all the guests were particularly enjoyable. John, the owner, was very helpful and helped us organise the two days we had to see the falls, so that we saw as much as possible. It is definitely worth seeing the falls from both sides.

The breakfast was good and the staff were pleasant.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 14 August 2011

John's B&B is very special with plenty of attention to detail. The staff are great and he's very helpful (perhaps to the point of officiousness). There's a nice privacy gap between the main house and the guest rooms that's taken up with the garden (trees helpfully labelled). The room was flawless. The breakfast was fantastic and tasty (which makes one linger too long for some more coffee and banana bread!) And, especially for gregarious types, the happy hour at 7pm is nice with very tasty homemade Caipirinhas and crunchy dumplings (all included in the price :) ). And the location is great as well, it's only a 10min walk down the road to the 'centre' of the town. Overall, highly recommended.

Room Tip: Couples: ask for end rooms as the walls are thin!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Had the most amazing time at the Secret Garden!! John picked me up from the bus station and showed me the city.. Then he showed me the beautiful room and introduced me to the other guests!! I am still in contact with the other guests as this place brings people from around the world together!! You get drinks at 7pm which is a great time to chat and get to know the other guests!! As I was travelling by myself I organised to travel to the Argentine side of the falls with another guest which was just fantastic.. I seriously wouldn't stay anywhere else.. John organised all taxis and everything was perfect.. Thanks again John for the amazing experience!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
JessMD
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Went in 2008, totally forgot to do a review but I was reviewing something else so I figured I'd do it now, 3 years tardy but hey, it's the thought that counts right? :)

Obviously I don't remember too much, but I will highlight the memories: Roxy, John's dog, was a really sweet little Jack Russell, totally full of energy and affection. The room was nice and spacious and clean, and John makes AWESOME caipirinhas. It's also not too far from Iguazu and was reasonably priced. And John has a fascinating personal history and has lived in Argentina for years, he'll give you some insight into the culture and country that you wouldn't get out of a guidebook.

I remember searching a lot for hotels in Iguazu, some of the hotels are astronomically priced and you get a very sterile hotel experience. My boyfriend and I are so much more B&B than hotel people, so maybe we're a bit biased. But I'm willing to give up a little bit of private space and fancy room service if it means I can share a drink with the owner of the establishment for a few hours on the patio every night, and meet people from all walks of life.

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Mound
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We had a great stay at the Secret Garden. The place was very clean. Great location. John was beyond helpful with every arrangement we needed to make. I have never stayed anywhere that was more welcoming, comfortable, and easy.
The secret Garden is a great value and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 August 2011

This place was fabulous. My only regret is that we only stayed one night. Everyone told me that there there is little to do in Iguazu and therefore you only need to spend one night there if you have time to do both sides of the falls, so that’s what we did. We had such a nice (albeit brief) stay, that I wish we could have spent one more night there just to relax and chat with other guests and the warm proprietor John.

He and his dog Roxy were very hospitable, and even sent us a few photo's from our stay. Would love to stay there again (for a longer period of time) if we ever make it back to the the wonderful falls!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple