“Not as I expected.”

Ranked #39 of 52 Puerto Iguazu B&B and Inns
North Bend, Washington
“Not as I expected.”
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We booked at La Strada because it was recommended in the Rough Guide. When we arrived it was very hot. We were taken to our room, which turned out to be two stories. The first floor were bunk beds and the bathroom. The second floor had a double bed, and the only air conditioner. The staircase was quite steep. My initial impression was the it was HORRIBLE. I was concerned about the stairs to the bathroom, and whether the air conditioner would be sufficient. I asked to be switched to a one story room and they were able to accommodate us. It was much better. The room was clean, but we stayed there for three nights and our towels were never changed. The staff was very nice and helpful, and the breakfast was better than most of the hotels we were at.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I booked this trip through an agent in the UK as part of a 3 night 2 day trip to Iguassu falls. I arrived after an early morning flight and was greeted by friendly staff, with adequate english, and was allowed to check in early. I was staying in a room with a double and single bed, and a bathroom (electric shower, wc, bidet, sink). I was greeted by a damp smell and mould in the shower but the room appeared superficially clean. The room was extremely noisy, every word from outside could be heard clearly, and next door's tv too! Earplugs definitely a necessity. I encountered some of the less popular Argentinian wildlife in the room, including a large centipede, moths, and 2 huge cockroaches on the last night. Breakfast was ok. A good selection of drinks, cakes and (slightly stale) bread. I ate in the restaurant one evening, it was fine, not worth writing home about. I wouldn't look forward to spending time in the pool. It was very small, and didn't look clean.

The best thing about this hotel was the staff, they were always approachable, friendly and helpful. The location was good, about a 15min walk to the centre of Porto Iguazu, through a safe neighbourhood: biggest threat was barking dogs. However, based on the quality of the room I stayed in, I can't recommend this hotel. I was disappointed.

• Stayed September 2011
lastradaresidencial, Director de Relaciones Públicas at La Strada, responded to this review, 29 September 2011
We are really sorry for all those inconvenients, we're trying to change a lot of things.

Regards

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Iguazu hotels

JHB, South Africa
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Rooms:
The rooms get very hot in summer and the air conditioner is a welcome relief. Though ours seemed to have a problem causing it to start making a very loud grinding and squeaking noise at around midnight. I had to jump out of bed to turn it off, then I woke up again an hour or 2 later sweating from the heat and turned it on again.

We couldn't change rooms (as they were fill) so I had a nightly relay of turning the air con off and on again.

Other rooms did not seem to have this problem.

The central pool is a hub of activity (and gawkers) which may annoy those wanting day naps or gawkless swims.

The one pillow had a blood stain on it but luckily there were only 2 of us in a room with 6 beds so we found clean ones.

Service:
The staff are friendly and the breakfasts are simple, but for what you pay it's adequate.

Location:
We could walk to most places in town as well as the bus stop heading to the falls. The town taxis are cheap anyway if want a quick ride somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2010
lastradaresidencial, Director de Relaciones Públicas at La Strada, responded to this review, 30 August 2011
We really sorry for all those inconvenients, we are doing a lot of changes and nowadays the maintenance and cleaning service are much better than in that time.
If you return to Iguazu, you are invited to come and check all this changes.
Louisville, Colorado
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We booked a package trip to Iguazu Falls via Tangol Argentina in Buenos Aires. Part of the trip involved a flight to Puerta Iguazu, Misiones, Argentina, and a 3-night stay at La Strada Residencial.

As expected (small town, with not many USA visitors), the hotel agent at the front desk did not speak much English. But it was OK; we made do with my broken Spanish.

Food: It was relatively late for us; so we decided to dine at La Strada. We think it has one chef/cook, perhaps proprietor's spouse. The hotel representative said it would take one hour to prepare the meal (for four--my wife and I, and our two teenage children). The food was adequate. I ordered a baked chicken with rice, for 40 pesos (approx. US$10). I received a leg and thigh with about 3/4 cup of rice. The quality was mediocre. Nothing special.

Lodging: We were assigned to Room No. 1, a 2-floor, 4-bed (1 bunk bed) room that is much like a duplex-style in the U.S. Upon entering, there was a bunk bed on the right, a single on the left, an aisle in between. Turning left, there was a bathroom (shower, toilet, bidet, sink). Turning right, there was a steep staircase (approx. 8-inch riser and 8-inch tread; so close to 45 degrees). It was very basic wood construction. The right handrail ended abruptly at the ceiling--an acute angle that inflicted a cut to my finger on my first trip up. The upstairs had a TV, air conditioning unit, double bed, and dresser. Although the carpentry appeared sound, it was crude/rough. There was no landline phone. Wi-Fi was slow but OK.

The room overall was not habitable. Upon entry, I started coughing from an intense musty/basement-like smell. Upon further review, we saw that the pine wall paneling next to the bunk bed had a significant amount of mold. The same was true of the opposite wall and the ceiling above that wall. In two of the corners of the main room, there was black residue and what appeared to be 3-4 small, brown millipedes moving very slowly. I also saw one ant. The bathroom plumbing was leaking somewhere underneath the toilet, bidet and sink (the floor underneath all was noticeably wet and puddling). Some photos of the room are attached to this review.

I notified the front desk that the room was uninhabitable. Without hesitation, he moved us to Room No. 3, two doors down. That room was the same layout, but it was cleaner and without mold, insects and leaking plumbing. There was only a slight musty smell. Nonetheless, we did not consider it to be sufficiently clean. We stayed one night at this hotel, in Room No. 3, and moved out the next afternoon. (To its credit, Tangol Argentina moved promptly to get us transferred to Jardin Iguazu Hotel, an excellent hotel I will review subsequently.)

On the morning of Day 2, we had breakfast at La Strada. It was OK. Fresh juice and room-temperature bakery items.

Tangol Argentina apologized profusely. It said the hotel proprietor said the hotel agent was a new employee and erroneously assigned us to a room that was "under maintenance." It is possible that was true, but I am dubious. First, the agent appeared to be the proprietor. He certainly did not act like a new employee. Second, nothing about the room suggested it was under maintenance (e.g., all the beds were made, and there was no debris). It is true, however, that the hotel is in the process of adding two additional units to the left of Room No. 1, but these units are self-contained and the construction of the additional units should not have affected Room No. 1 (there was significant concrete/masonry sand/dirt on the porch of Room No. 1).

I cannot recommend this hotel based on my experience. Motel 6 is perhaps one of the most economical franchise lodging places in the U.S. The two rooms we experienced were well below the standards of Motel 6.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Czemerenske
lastradaresidencial, Director de Relaciones Públicas at La Strada, responded to this review, 23 August 2011
It's true that the guy in the reception desk was new and he didn't realize that the room wasn' t habitable. But we really sorry for all the inconvenients that you had, this is a small place, not a three, four or five star hotel and we try to do all the best that we can. The same about the dinner; We have a good menu, but maybe you wanted other things that you could have in a restaurant, wich we aren't.
Anyway, We really sorry for all this.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 29 July 2010

Basic room -- beds, wardrobe, bathroom, TV and not much else. Two-storey room with two bunks (can sleep 4) downstairs and a double bed upstairs. No fly-screen on windows, which is a concern considering mosquitoes and the heat, so the airconditioner was appreciated. Reasonable location -- on a quiet back street in a residential area, walking distance to town centre (where bus station and restaurants are), and close to bus stop where you can catch a public bus to go to the Iguazu Falls national park. Reasonable breakfast (by Argentinian standards) included.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Turin, Italy
Reviewed 19 September 2009

Best in photo then live, is a beautiful place but not to much clean

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 19 August 2009

We loved Iguazu Falls and this was an attractive place to stay for a couple of nights. As we didn't speak Spanish, we were pleased that the desk staff made a genuine effort to help whenever possible. Breakfast was served in a very pleasant dining room looking out to the garden and cobble stoned street.
Two storey accommodation looked gorgeous and rustic from outside but proved to be impractical from the inside. To reach our double bed upstairs we had to negotiate a very oddly built set of stairs, with a handrail set at a wierd height.We could not safely carry our suitcases upstairs, so left them downstairs on the ground floor where there were single bunks.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple