“Excellent staff, dated rooms”

Hilton Phoenix/ Mesa
Ranked #7 of 57 Hotels in Mesa
Dublin, Ireland
“Excellent staff, dated rooms”
Reviewed 2 October 2012

First and foremost the staff are what make this hotel. All very professional, very friendly, totally hospitable and go above and beyond.

There are some nice little touches such as free coffee in the lobby in the morning and refreshing cool flavour water the rest of the day and M&Ms on tap (literally on tap!). The bar in the lobby is very reasonable again with great bar staff and the area is kept pristine.

However I just feel it needs a serious refurb to bring it up to modern standards. Although the lobby and the building itself is pretty impressive it just feels very dull and dreary. The staggered mood lighting on each floor level looking into the atrium just doesnt tie in with the rest of the property and the bar area is rather dead.

The bedrooms although spacious and large need updating. They feel tired and dull. Even with the curtains open I felt like I was in a dark room. The radio/alarm clock beside my bed was falling to pieces and there was an electrical socket at the foot of the bed (just beside the bathroom door) which was coming out of the wall so I was afraid to use it. Also the bathroom was very small and cramped with leaky taps. I was disappointed I could not open the doors to the Juliet Balcony fully as one half was bolted shut. I also found the airconditioning unit to be unresponsive. Although a temperature control system was included, it would not change the temperature effectively.

Apart from that I found the beds to be very comfortable, the TV was top notch and the tea/coffee facilities in the room worked brilliantly. I also had room service twice which was very reasonable and of top notch quality. However both times I called room service it rang out meaning I then had to ring the front desk for them to take my order. Something tells me they may be cutting on staff at the moment which would not surprise me as the hotel seemed pretty quiet even over the weekend I was there.

The pool area although pleasant was pretty small and did not seem to get the sun all day. However as the hotel was not busy I was able to move around as the sun moved.

The hotels location to the Fiesta Mall made the short 10 minute walk just about managable even in the heat however I believe there is a bus that will bring you there if you are not good in the desert.

All in all a very comfortable stay and although I would return for the wonderful staff I may also have a look around elsewhere first!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
HiltonPhxEastMesa, General Manager at Hilton Phoenix/ Mesa, responded to this review, 12 October 2012
Dear Irishstandards,

Thank you for choosing Hilton Phoenix East/Mesa and taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the hotel’s amenities and hospitality. Be assured we are in the process of undergoing room renovations to improve our hotel through next year. Again, I would like to thank you for your feedback, as we take it very seriously. I hope to see you again soon!

Sincerely, Gary Levine, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Turkish first
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 24 September 2012 via mobile

Let me start by saying that the property is great. Lobby is awesome and the Desk Staff is superb. The atrium is beautiful with a bar that stays open till 10pm. There is a managers reception for those that have access and they have free drinks and appetizers from 5pm-7:30pm. The pool area was very relaxing. The only minus to the property is the outdated furniture in the rooms. I expected a little more from the Hilton brand. The free breakfast was awesome but it took a couple of try's to get clean silverware. Would I stay there again? Probably not. I love staying with Hilton but this property does not meet the mark when it comes to the rooms and that area is a deal breaker for me.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
HiltonPhxEastMesa, General Manager at Hilton Phoenix/ Mesa, responded to this review, 27 September 2012
Dear Ventura T,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, as we taking it very seriously. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the hotel’s amenities during your stay. I sincerely apologize our rooms were not up to your satisfaction. We are in the process of starting our renovation of rooms next month and we always strive to improve our hotel. I do hope you stay with us again to give us the chance to improve and meet the mark for you.

WELLINGTON
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Stayed at the Hilton East for 2 nights and was pleasantly surprised based on some of the negative reviews. Hotel was clean, room was very comfortable with excellent bed. Ate at the bar one night and food was very acceptable. Place was quiet and staff seemed very friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
HiltonPhxEastMesa, General Manager at Hilton Phoenix/ Mesa, responded to this review, 14 September 2012
Dear Denders,

Thank you for choosing Hilton Phoenix East/Mesa. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Please come back and visit us soon!

Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 31 August 2012

I've been staying here for years as a business traveler and top floor Hilton Honors guest but when I ask to make reservations at the front desk, I get told I have to call the hotel! I'm standing in the hotel but the lady keeps directing me away from her rather than trying to solve the problem. And when I do get someone from out back in the offices, I'm told that they cannot offer me the normal rate and I have to pay $179/nite for 3 of my 5 day planned ahead stay- yet I can go non-line and get the same room and treatment for $135/nite anytime. That's real customer service for you.

I asked for the manager to no avail- Marriott next door is looking pretty good.

Room Tip: stay at the Marriott next door
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
HiltonPhxEastMesa, Manager at Hilton Phoenix/ Mesa, responded to this review, 4 September 2012
Dear Ron K,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your candid response as we are always trying to find ways to improve on our services. I am truly sorry to hear about the frustrations with your regular rate not being available during your planned stay. We would love to speak with you about this if you have the time. You can ask for me or for Jennifer Donaldson, our Director of Revenue. We do very much value and appreciate your loyalty and business with our hotel and hope to see you again on your next trip to Mesa!

Brianne Pass
Front Office Supervisor
hereford
Reviewed 30 August 2012 via mobile

Hilton Mesa was poor for a Hilton compared to other Hilton I have stayed at. Hotel was clean, breakfast staff were friendly and helpful. Would strongly recommend the $10 upgrade for the executive lounge. Breakfast is free if you don't mind early hours and from 17:00 to 19:30 it's free (although limited in choice) drinks and buffet. Downside of executive is it is very small and gets busy quickly. Room cleaning was hit and miss, some days some things clearly had not been touched such as drinks glasses still half full. Bar is expensive and wouldn't pay those prices when there is a free taxi service to nearby bars. Would stay again for business but not for pleasure

Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
HiltonPhxEastMesa, General Manager at Hilton Phoenix/ Mesa, responded to this review, 4 September 2012
Dear Traveller722,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback as we take it very seriously. I sincerely apologize that you were unhappy with the level of service by the housekeeping staff. Be assured this has been brought to the attention of the department head and will be fixed immediately. Again, thank you for your comment and we hope to serve you again and show you our exceptional hospitality.

Aurora, Illinois
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Very comfortable hotel. If your affairs are on the east side of town this the place to stay. Close to highway and easy to get to airport. Staff was great and met all our needs. Free parking a big plus. Would stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
HiltonPhxEastMesa, General Manager at Hilton Phoenix/ Mesa, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Dear Planetisourown,

Thank you for choosing Hilton Phoenix East/Mesa for your business travel. Your feedback is very valuable to us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and I hope to see you again.

uk
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Stayed here on a recent work trip. Staff are very engaging and helpful for anything needed. A big big plus is the free parking in the hotel grounds. Although this isn't in a secure area, it more than met my needs. Bed was v comfy with plenty of pillows. Thanks for a great stay Hilton

Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
HiltonPhxEastMesa, General Manager at Hilton Phoenix/ Mesa, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Dear Ianbeale,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Please come back and visit us soon!