“Wouldn't pay full price”

Hilton Phoenix/ Mesa
Ranked #7 of 57 Hotels in Mesa
anaheim hills, ca, usa
“Wouldn't pay full price”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2005

Stayed here two nights March 25-27. Bathroom had leaks around bottom of tub (grout missing) and combined with stopped up shower resulted in a wet floor. Sink stopper was broken, no bulbs in two lamps, same furnishings since built in 80's and an overall bad Motel 6 feel. Was rated three stars on Priceline where I paid $55/night. Can't really complain however as it was spring break/Spring Training time and wasn't in room but to sleep - however would not have stayed there if had other choices. Stayed at the Phoenix Airport Hilton in November for $35 (Priceline) and was much nicer. Pool wasn't heated (though advertised) and the "adult" hot tub was smaller than mine at home. The hot tub appeared to not have been cleaned in awhile either but didn't want to find out first hand. The 24 hour fitness room was very good - no sauna but all the machines. Can't coment on the lounge/other features.

• Stayed March 2005
2 Thank richp5

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Turkish first
Phoenix,Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2004

Last week my husband and I stayed at the Hilton Phoenix East/Mesa for 3 nights.
We travel very frequently and this was the worst hotel we have ever stayed in.

We had booked the hotel room 5 weeks ahead.
I had read one of your reviews that the rooms facing the freeway were noisy.
The night before we checked in, my husband called the hotel to request for a quiet kingsize room away from the freeway.The front desk noted the request.

When we arrived the next day, we were told that the room that has been assigned to us is facing the freeway!!!
The front desk reassigned another room.When we went up to the room, we discovered that there was a connecting door.
We were not happy with the room as we know from experience that such rooms tend to be noisy.
So, we ended up with the noisy room facing the freeway as they did not have any other room!

When we took a shower the first night, we found that the bath was clogged.
We left it at that as we were tired.
So, the next day, before we left the room, we called the front desk to see to the clog.
A note was left in the bathroom to say that the "tub was unplugged" by the Eng. while we were not in the room.

Apparently, the problem was not fixed as when one of us took a shower, the bath was still clogged up.
I called the front desk and someone came up and he said he's the engineer.
He fiddled in the bathroom for some 20 mins and then he said that it is fixed.

After he left, I turned the bath faucet on.To my disappointment, the bath was still clogged.
I called the front desk again and another engineer was sent up.
He tried to fix the problem for an hour and then said that that's the best he can do and something to do with the pipes of the next room being connected to our room.

No one called from the front desk to check whether the problem has been fixed.
The problem was still not solved after 3 attempts.
No one asked us whether we would like to move to another room.

We needed to stay in this particular hotel as our professional exam was being held there.
If not for the convenience, we really wouldn't have stayed there.

The room was old and dirty.It looks as though it could do with some urgent refurbishment.
For the rate that we paid, it was totally not worth it.
The staff were not friendly and housekeeping was not good as well.

We will never stay in this Hilton again.

4 Thank oranges8
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2004

My Mom and I stayed here over Easter and had the best time. We we treated very well by the friendly staff. Down pillows were heavenly. We ordered the breakfast in bed and it was delicious.

This was a special treat for my elderly Mom as she had never stayed any place as elegant as this. I got a great deal on priceline.

I bought Mom a dozen roses for Easter and when we got back from breakfast, the staff had found a vase and put them in.

The decor is lovely. First class.

1 Thank Tweedle_10
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2004

We stayed at the Mesa Hilton because it was close to the place where we had a meeting the next morning. My husband had called the night before to make sure they knew we needed a wheelchair accessible room. When we got to the hotel they told us that they had no indication that we needed an accessible room. At that point my husband was getting really upset. They told us they could get us an accessible room in another hotel but it was 9:30pm and I really did not want to repack the car and go to another hotel. They promised us they would get it straightened out for the next night and gave us a coupon for free dinner for two. The room was ok and the wheelchair fit thru the bathroom door but he could not get close to the sink. The next morning we stopped by the front desk and they said they already had an accessible room for us for that night. We had a meeting all day and asked them if they could move our bags from the regular room to the accessible room. We left for our meeting and did not return until about 4pm. When we went to our new room, they had moved everything and upgraded us to an accessible suite that was really nice. In the end they tried hard to make it right and they did. The hotel is nice but not superior. I would stay there again for convenience but the pool was really small and the hotel seemed like it had seen better days.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2004

My family and I recently stayed at this hotel in the midst of our vacation. By far it was the best experience we had at any hotel on our trip! From the moment we arrived, there was always someone working at the hotel who smiled and said hello and made us feel welcome. When we called for extra towels and coffee, it was brought up to our room immediately. The pool was great, my kids really loved the waterfalls and the fire ring. The workout room was more than I expected. And you can use a computer with high speed Internet for absolutely free! I will definitely stay at this hotel again next time I'm in Arizona. Great value.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2004

This is part 2 of my hotel experience in Phoenix. If you want an exceptional hotel, see reviews for Scottsdale Resort & Conf. Centre. We were on a business trip and decided to stay a few extra days on our own. I had booked the Hilton Mesa and when we arrived (having just stayed at the Westin Kierland in Scottsdale) we were extremely disappointed! I had to check to make sure that the other reviewers were talking about the same hotel. It is an absolute dump - old & dirty! When we walked into the room, the first thing my husband did was lift the sheets to see if they were clean. Our first thoughts were to check and see if we could get a flight home the next day. We went to what they advertise to be a 'world-class shopping mall' next door and found an old, disgusting mall. We were definitely not in Scottsdale anymore!!! We got on the internet at Best Buy and found the Scottsdale Resort and it was cheaper than the Hilton. Went back to the Hilton, cancelled the res. and headed back to Scottsdale. When my husband went up to get our luggage, he said there was dust on the walls in the elevator and people had written their names in it! As I said in my other review, we felt at home at the Scottsdale Resort and didn't want our trip to end. We couldn't wait to leave the Hilton. This was our first time to Phoenix, so we didn't know the city. A piece of advice, if you can find an affordable hotel in Scottsdale, stay there. Mesa was certainly not the nicest area, which may explain the hotel.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2003

This hotel was wonderful. The rooms were clean and in very good condition, and the staff was pleasant. I would definitely stay here again.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member