“Bursting with Flavour”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 January 2013

We ended up at Anzio Landing by default because the original restaurant we were headed to was not open on Sundays. We were prepared to be underwhelmed upon entry as the room was open and plain with little decor or atmosphere. We were welcomed immediately and warmly and were happy to be seated along the side wall as the tables in the middle of the room were just that, with no division or ambience. From the moment we were seated, we were continually surprised and eventually impressed with this small restaurant. The service was impeccable, the food outstanding, and the whole experience memorable. (The old adage- don't judge a book by its cover!) Our waiter was attentive, knowledgeable, and non-intrusive. We ordered the trio of bruschetta with an amiable adjustment of no smoked salmon. The two types we shared were each delicious in their own way. My husband had the house salad which was fresh if not extraordinary. For the main course, my husband ordered the lasagna and I the pasta diablo. Both were bursting with flavour. The sauce on his lasagna had a complex, roasted flavour as if the sauce had been simmering all day. My pasta had a blush sauce that was equally creamy and tomato-y but also gave the palate a bit of a "nip" with spice - it was perfect! My husband knows his wine so chose wisely from the wine list and we enjoyed a red that was a perfect complement to the food. Both portions were so large we couldn't finish and brought them home. The leftovers were almost as good the next evening. We spotted the owner visiting various tables during the evening to chat with customers and check on the food. He also came to ours near the end of our meal. We enjoyed talking to him. My husband, who loves to cook, tried to pry some recipes from him to no avail, of course! So we promised we would be back, which we definitely will. My husband has travelled a lot on business and visited many Italian restaurants in Canada and US. He states that this one is "up there" on the list as one of the best. My only recommendation for the restaurant is that it needs to be spruced up a bit to give it some atmosphere and more privacy between tables.

1  Thank 34dreamford

Reviewed 20 November 2012

First off, let me explain that this is not just any review, and not just any reviewer for this restaurant. Way back in 1988, when I was a flight student at Falcon Field, I watched the original Anzio Landing restaurant being built. I ate there on the day it opened. I took my wife there on our first date. My wife and I had our wedding reception in their banquet room, and even though we moved out of state a few years later, we have returned several times over the years to our special place.

Our last visit prior to this one was five years ago. Apparently, since that time, it was sold to a new owner, and very recently the original location at the airport was closed and a new location near Las Sendas was opened. We decided to make a reservation for Saturday night, and went to the new location hoping the food and/or charm that made it such a unique and special place would still be there.

We were soundly disappointed. None of the character of the old place was brought over to the new restaurant. Sure, it's dressed up as an Italian restaurant, with stonework and Italian flourishes, but the things that made the old location so special were nowhere to be seen. None of the aviation decor was present; obviously the special view of the airplanes taking off and landing was gone; the high ceilings and bright lighting made it feel more like an average strip-mall restaurant than "our place." Nowhere was there any indication of the history of the brand that Anzio Landing once was, nor an explanation of the name (which was a play on words referring both to the airport location and to the WWII invasion of Italy by the Allied Forces). Clearly, they've moved on from what made this restaurant unique and special.

So, nostalgia aside, I wanted to rate the new place on its merit as an Italian restaurant. In this department, it was merely so-so. I ordered the lasagna and my wife ordered a chicken dish. The food arrived fairly quickly, but it was a bit bland. The house salad was a basic salad with a mediocre Italian dressing. The lasagna was piping hot throughout, and the noodles were limp, as if it had been frozen previously, then microwaved. Portions were fairly sized.

Service was good. We were met with a friendly greeting at the front door, and were quickly shown to our table. Our waiter, who was a young man, balanced making sure we were attended with leaving us to our conversation. We never felt neglected, and we never needed anything. Just right.

Overall, it was an average experience at an average Italian restaurant. Anzio Landing, once a place oozing character, has become just another place to grab a quick dinner, or perhaps have a drink at the bar and watch a game.

Hopefully, someone will buy out the building at the old location in the airport and try to make a go of it as another restaurant.

Note to Trip Advisor: the correct name of the restaurant is "Anzio Landing," not "Anzio's Landing." Please correct it in your database.

6  Thank Jim T
Reviewed 10 November 2012

We love the new location. Would frequent it more with some improvements. Need to do a much better happy hour to get more people in. No real specials were offered and the house wine was terrible. Would not recommend as a wine spot at all. The calamari was great but flatbread was just OK. Service was good but that was to be expected since the place was pretty empty.

Reviewed 3 November 2012

We had a wonderful meal and excellent service. The new location is terrific! They have made a special focus on the bar and have excellent drinks. We will be back soon!

Reviewed 7 October 2012

Anzio's Landing restaurant has been around for many years. They recently moved from the Falcon Field location to the Villages at Las Sendas. We ate at the new Anzio's Landing in October 2012. I must first say that their new location has lots of potential (both from a food and ambience perspective) and hopefully they will take advantage of it. But, the dinner we had was so-so at best - so I am hoping they put some polish on the food and kick it up a notch. The new decor is very simple and open, but felt sort of sterile and empty. The hostess was friendly and seated us quickly - she asked if we were familiar with the old place and that they kept many of the same menu items. We looked over the menu and it took an awkwardly long time for one of the wait staff to come by and give us water and bread - even though there must have been 6-8 staff standing around looking eager and ready to work. Finally our server came by and took our order. He was very friendly but seemed kind of preoccupied even though they were not at all busy. As the new Anzio is right next to Breadsmith, I was wondering if they would have fresh bread. It did not appear so becasue the bread was sliced and very dry (the old Anzio used to have yummy fresh hot rolls. I ordered the Mediterranean pasta with chicken. It was served in a small square plate and was so-so, kind of bland and unimaginitive and the chicken was dry. My dinner friend had pasta with pork and the pork was tough and chewy. I'll sum this by saying that I hope my mediocre experience at Anzio was due to the new opening and not having everything up and running. They have a great opportunity to wow the local folks, which they will hopefully take advantage of in a spectacular way !!