Zur Kate German Restaurant
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I was stationed in Germany for a total of 13 years while serving in the Air Force. And, my mother is German. So I know a little bit about how German food should taste.

Zur Kate is all about appearances, nothing more. The restaurant was very clean, presentable, and had an authentic German feel, as if I'd just been transported to Europe. The hostess was very friendly, and took our order quickly. Upon later returning to our table, she placed a basket of store bought rye bread in front of us. I expected broetchen, but apparently this place doesn't have the time to acquire these hard rolls, or to craft them. A big disappointment, as we drove nearly an hour to "experience" the tastes of Germany we'd been missing so long.

After browsing the menu, I decided to order the Sauerbraten with dumpling, gravy, and red cabbage. The beef was very tender, however, the gravy had no flavor. The dumpling was warm, not hot, and wasn't cooked thoroughly. The red cabbage tasted as if it had come from a tin can, as it was soggy and mushy; not appetizing at all. My wife ordered the Cornish hen, and upon receiving it, was surprised to find it fried and quite small. This was the first time either of us had experienced a crispy Cornish hen; usually they are baked or grilled.

To summarize, Zur Kate is a clean, decent restaurant with a friendly staff. Prices are good, but the food is not. Not recommended for those who know good German food. If you're a tourist, you might enjoy this place, otherwise I can't recommend spending your money here.

2  Thank Johnny C

Reviewed 15 April 2013

This is our "go to" place when someone asks us for something different outside of the usual chain restaurant food. Wonderful selection, value priced and a delightful selection of old world brews. Toss in the music and its an evening you won't forget!

Reviewed 22 March 2013

Classy and friendly atmosphere, great staff, and without a doubt, the best German food I've had (with the exception of my Mom's.) Big portions and great selections. Highly recommended if you are a German food fan.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

I was meeting friends who were in town for the night and they picked this place because it was close to their hotel. Wow, we didn't know what a treat we were in for. Besides the charming German decor, they had a husband/wife team playing accordion and singing German songs. The duo even stopped at our table and played a couple of kid's songs for my friends' little girl.

The food was great - we got 2 versions of the schnitzel - cordon bleu and one that had traditional gravy but with a hint of hot peppers in it. Yum! Our third adult diner got the sauerbraten which was tender and juicy. The sides, German Potato Salad and Spaetzle as well as sauerkraut and cooked shredded cabbage and the delicious rye bread made great meal. The kiddo's burger must have been good, too, because she cleaned her plate. We then split a black forest cake and a strudel, both of which were yum.

For drinks, we split a pitcher of oktoberfest beer, which had just the right hint of spice.

This is a very small place, so even though we did not have to wait for a table, I could see that happening, especially if your group was more than 4 people.

Definitely will recommend and will return when we want another German food fix.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

Average Americanized German food in a strip mall. Nothing special about it except prices were decent. Try the Bavarian Point in the same complex for wonderful
German food.