“Not as good as when it was the Broadway Palm”

Silver Star Theater
Ranked #8 of 64 things to do in Mesa
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Having visited this locations when it was known as the Broadway Palm Theater it is hard not to compare. We recently saw the Les Miserables A Revolutionary Comedy. The inside has been remodeled somewhat to reflect more of a Western Theme. The gift shop sadly, is gone. The seating is good and there is not a bad seat in the house. Gone is the buffet style dinner and in it's place is a simplified menu that you may order from. From Pizza, burgers and wraps. The food is okay for the limited menu. I enjoyed the wrap that I ordered. The service that we received was a bit lacking. Drink refill request was not filled and the change due back to us after paying the bill was not returned. We had to make a special request. The show was just okay. They manage to incorporate songs about buying food from their menu and buying season tickets. There was a big push for visiting the box office to purchase season tickets. They did a selection of country music songs after the main show. That was more enjoyable then the main show. There were some individual actors/singers that were quite good. I may give them another chance and try to see a different show. Would appeal more to an older crowd.

3  Thank MindyMesa

Reviewed 24 February 2013

The players did an outstanding job of their parody of Les Mis.
The show was filled with topical and current references along with snippets from other musicals. Their comedy was quick and sharp. Yes, there were some groaners but it all worked. The troupe has terrific voices and was very entertaining.
The wait staff was discreet in their service.
There was a treat at the end of the evening and we had a bonus of more song, dance and comedy, a tip of the Stetson to all of you!
A must see ...

Reviewed 18 January 2013

Silver Star Playhouse has taken the place of Broadway Palm Dinner Theater in Mesa. It’s comedy theater, melodrama. There is a piano player. You get to “cheer” for the hero and “boo and hiss” at the villian. $20 for adults, dinner is not included though you can order from a menu.

We sat at our table for a good ten minutes until anyone came to greet us. We ordered immediately when the server finally came. We had a pizza which is on a think, crispy lavosh style crust. All the ingrediants were fresh. The pizza was decent size (18” or so) but $15.99. We also ordered a mushroom swiss burger which came with fries. ($8.99) The food was decent but not really hot or even warm. You can just go to see a show and not order food. Another thing that was really annoying was the servers still come to your table during the show. They are constantly walking back and forth. The show is approximately 70 minutes long with an intermission. I can sit without needing anything during the show. I paid to see a show and not talk with the server. If I went back I would save my money and eat at home or elsewhere...though we don't intend to go back.

We are in our upper 40’s and early 50’s. We had our teenage daughter with us too. She does local theater and we wanted to check it out. We were the youngest ones there. The over 65 crowd seemed to enjoy it. They even gave a standing ovation at the end. It’s just ridiculous comedy, poor jokes, many political in nature. I guess after a bottle of wine or two anything is funny but since we don’t drink…I think we’ll pass.

Overall, we were disappointed, not worth the money. I'm giving it an "average" rating because I'm sure there are some who will enjoy it. We prefer Broadway/Off Broadway shows.

10  Thank debbiedavemesa