“Still a good place to eat, after all these years!”

Yen Ching Restaurant
Ranked #354 of 958 Restaurants in Mesa
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Met Yen Ching oh, so many years ago at their first location, Really liked it then and there and still do. Years ago they opened at this location and if you look at the signatures on the wall taken opening day, you would find mine if you knew who to look for. Have not had a bad meal there.Some time ago, I took a menu home with me and just started to have one new thing off the menu until I had sampled each and every menu offering. I liked them all, some more than others, of course. We take friends there and have carry out often. It's all good.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We were not impressed. The service is very good, but the food was ordinary, egg rolls were greasy and the entrees were generous but not very flavorful. We wouldn't return.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

We came here about a year ago and thought at that time they were losing their touch in the gourmet department. I think mostly the winter visitors like this place because it's fast and something to fill their stomachs. This time as a foursome we chose different dishes as we all like to share. I ordered the lemon chicken and all I can say is the lemon goop on top was probably out of a jar and even had a cherry on the side which gave me the idea it was flavored with other things and certainly not fresh lemon. The chicken was obviously overcooked and the taste as well as the texture was like it had been sitting under a warming light and then put on a plate with sauce poured over it, it was dreadful and not fresh at all. Others had garlic chicken, kung pao chicken and orange chicken. All the chicken tasted like it came out of the same place, one though was fried but fried until dry and then a mix of odd flavored sauces. Nothing tasted like someone had taken the time to prepare it from scratch in a wok like it should be made. No it all tasted prepared in advance like a buffett and plated quickly as it all came out the same time within 5 minutes of us ordering. It is not gourmet, it's just, well, I reserve my real feelings, don't go unless you like fast food that's been sitting around for awhile. We will not be ones to go back.

1  Thank 2Travelers43
Reviewed 25 February 2013

As many of the previous reviews have indicated, Yen Ching is definitely old style Chinese. The decor is the mandatory aquarium, pink tablecloths and plastic plants and flowers. The staff has been there for a long time so they get to know you and welcome you like an old friend and service is always good. I drink a LOT of water and they never miss keeping my glass filled. The menu is very typical of an old style Chinese restaurant. The food is always good and fresh, the portions generous. We always have enough to take home and we order a bag of their hard noodles to take home too. If you're looking for "asian fusion" or any of that new wave stuff, this is not the place. If you want good, authentic Chinese food, I would highly recommend Yen Ching.

Reviewed 25 September 2012

Yen Ching is a smallish very warm and comfortable chinese restaurant near Power Road and Main in east Mesa. Selection isn't nearly as large as the local "buffets" but the quality is excellent and the service admirable. Prices are reasonable and service is good. Reccommend to people who want quality and economy!