“I Love the Cubs”

30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“I Love the Cubs”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Fresh, new, beautiful ball park. It reminds me of Wrigley. The staff was so friendly and helpful. I have all good things to say about this ballpark.

Spring Grove, Illinois
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“Looks like Wrigley”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

First of all,I liked Ho Ho Kam. Cubs Park is nicer, looks like Wrigley. Traffic to the Park was not good but that is to be expected.There is only one park I liked better,Salt River Fields where the Rockies and Diamondbacks play. Prices keep increasing for the Cactus League,Cubs Park is no exception.If you go to Cubs park there are two free trolley shuttles,one from Mill Ave in Tempe and and another from Tempe Market Place.Avoid Driving altogether.
The Cubs set another Cactus League attendance record,the game I attended was sold out.15,167 against the Dodgers. The games in the west valley maybe have 6000 fans.
If I return to the Cactus League next March I would certainly return for at least one or two games at Cubs Park.

1 Thank Paul B
Denver, Colorado
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Gorgeous stadium, lost the intimate feel”
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

As with most new Spring Training parks, this one has lost that intimate feel that as baseball fans we love about spring training...bring right there so close to the actions and the players. However it is gorgeous with a huge lawn so that you can purchase affordable lawn seats. There's a walkway from the training complex to the stadium so that fans can have one opportunity to be close to the players. There are elements of Wrigley such as a red sign that you can request a custom greeting for, and a manual clock. The rooftops are also mimicked by having an upper deck area overlooking the field...good view but far away. A concept I love is the food trucks located beyond the grass seating. There was even a tenderloin truck from Iowa...delicious! Goose Island beer was on tap and there's a full bar. The souvenir shops were running low on certain items but there are several shops to pop into. Make sure you walk around the outside of the stadium to see all the cool Cubs features. It's not Hohokam but it's a great place to visit. There is a few for parking in the stadium lot.

Fairbury, Illinois
“Make some changes”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Lu was right with her comments about autographs and players not friendly with the fans and trying to avoid us. There are some great things about the park it is a beautiful place but we don't seem to have a good team to play on it. Not getting in until 11:00 is not good. Some people just go to stand around and visit. They have no idea what is happening on the field...they could stay home and do that. As far as the food goes I don't think the Ricketts family has anything to do with that. From what I hear the city of Mesa is running the food and beer sales. I don't drink beer but looks to me like there was quite a variety of it around. Not all of it is sold in the stands but at the concession stands there is more.

Appleton, Wisconsin
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

The new park is beautiful. The workers/volunteers were friendly and would go out of their way for you. I love the replica marquee. You can get in line, request something to be posted on it, and then stand in front of it to get your picture taken. Unbelievably, this service is for free. If all I wanted to do is walk into the park, watch the game and then leave, I would be very pleased.

I've been going to Spring Training for 28 years. The experience is unique, it means a lot more than just going to a game for me. It is an opportunity to get lots of photographs, get autographs at various places around the park, and to meet with friends we've made over the years, and of course, to watch the game. Many of the things I loved about spring training are now gone.

You can't get inside the park until 11; there was a gate opened at 10:30, formally. Batting practice is sometimes on another practice field behind a chain link fence so getting pictures is impossible or if it is in Cubs Park, it is over by about 11:30. Players leave the park to go to the club house. You can't go back outside the park to try to get autographs there. Once you are in, the rule is that is where you stay. They only have two port-o-potties on one end,for the entire season ticket holder parking lot. They need garbage cans for the tailgaters. Prices for food and souvenirs are high. Unlike other parks, they did not put things on sale at the end of spring training. Once again, their parking is 2 dollars or more than other parks.

Players avoid contact with fans. Many ride golf carts from the club house to the park rather than walk the path to the elevator entrance door. Toward the end, many rode to a back entrance so they could avoid autograph seekers completely. Being able to take pictures of players before the game or before they leave for an away game is very limited. Fences and security block you at every turn.

The list of things you cannot bring into the park does not include food. I asked, does that mean you can bring food in? Security said, "It doesn't say you can't bring in kangaroos, you can't bring those in either." After seeing many people bringing in snacks, I asked another worker. This one said I could bring in small snacks but not a picnic. After a few weeks, we learned workers are not on the same page. If you know the right person, you are allowed out of the park. Some require you to return with a stamped ticket, some require a stamped hand. If you have the wrong thing, you are sent to the ticket office to plead your case to get back in.

One game was rained out. When we paid for parking that day, the guy taking the money said, "save your parking ticket." If it rains you will get your money back." When we tried to get our money back, the ticket window person said that wasn't true. We tried to get our money back for the game. One said the money would apply to next year's tickets. I pointed out that I got an email from the Cubs saying I could request a refund. She had no idea.

Seats are really tight. Other than the front row, there is little leg room to maneuver as people leave during the game. You pray a line drive doesn't come your way because it is nearly impossible to move out of the way when the seats are full.

I know I will learn to love the park once I get used to all the restrictions. But for now, my feeling is this beautiful place is no longer fan friendly....it is only for making money. I can't help but be disappointed.

1 Thank Lu S