“It has possibilities if the owners spent some money”

Ramada Mesa Phoenix East Area
Ranked #37 of 57 Hotels in Mesa
Tucson, Arizona
“It has possibilities if the owners spent some money”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Ended up staying here as part of a group and, like others have written, was concerned because of all of the negative comments. I would liken the room to an older Comfort Inn -- not good, not bad -- okay. Room was clean, I would describe decor as "threadbare." Lighting is poor in the room (and in the vanity area). Everything worked. It wasn't uncomfortable, it wasn't particularly comfortable.

As an older property the construction was sound and there was no noise from outside or the rooms next door (and we were right next to the vending machines). The staff was pretty accommodating. There was some confusion because when I checked in I was asked for my license plate number and when I didn't remember off the top of my head the guy said to just drop it off later. When I went to drop it off later, I was told that they really didn't need it.

Don't expect to use the exercise room -- the large room near the pool is empty and there are a few old machines off the lobby. If you are bothered by insecure property (no locked entrance and all rooms open to inside grassy area), this is not the place for you to stay. I have to say the neighborhood seemed nice and I didn't feel threatened.

Breakfast was substantial buffet in restaurant and it was a step above a standard hotel breakfast buffet with hot and cold items. Restaurant is clean but looks like original decor from when hotel was built originally. Staff at buffet was accommodating.

It is in a nice residential area and there is a coffee shop as well as a Starbuck's across the street.

When I was checking in there was a man at the desk saying that he'd been told to come back to change his room because his original room wasn't to his satisfaction and they exchanged keys.

About a 15 minute drive from downtown area of Mesa. We ate at the hotel restaurant one night and the food was quite good and service friendly (if a little slow because they didn't have a full staff because it was the end of the season and our group pretty much filled the restaurant -- actually when you consider how many people were there the service was amazing).

Room Tip: If I stayed at this hotel because the price was right, I'd suggest checking your room right away...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Jane G
wkaplan, Director of Sales at Ramada Mesa Phoenix East Area, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Jane,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Our teams are working hard to maintain our standards and we appreciate your recommendation. We do have security walk round the property to keep our guests safe. Your feedback is very important to us as a way to highlight areas we can improve in the near future.
I have shared your comments with our hotel management and owners accordingly.
Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Dobson Ranch Inn & Suites.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I had to stay at this hotel with a group, and when I read the reviews I almost didn't go. I even called the hotel in advance to try to ensure I got a renovated room, but they gave me the standard lame, "We can't guarantee that" line. So I went to the hotel with no little trepidation.

Overall, I have to say that our stay was fine. Fine as in OK. Not good - but not bad. Fine.

One important thing you should consider is that there is really no security. Entry to guest rooms is all off walkways unsecured from the public. That gives it a very motel-ish feel. The area seems safe enough - within a somewhat residential area - but very close to highway 60. Surprisingly, our room was quiet, as it was on the south side of the hotel (away from the highway) and facing a residential road.

Fortunately, we got a room that seemed to have been fairly recently renovated. The carpet was good. The bath had a clean fiberglass insert. The vanity counter was intact. Some of the furniture was clearly older - a dresser that actually looked antique, and a chair with tired upholstery. The bed and bedding were fine. The sheets may have been old, but they were clean, soft and comfortable. Sleep quality was good.

As to public spaces... The lobby has been redecorated. The pool itself seemed clean and pretty well maintained, although the pool deck is crumbling and needs to be resurfaced. The furnishings in the restaurant were pretty tired.

Service was OK too. Some employees seemed pretty inexperienced, but everyone was pleasant. Breakfast was substantial - eggs, potatoes, breakfast meat, pancakes or waffles, oatmeal, pastries, cereal, coffee, juice. Quality average but adequate.

I expected to give this place a 2 - but they exceeded my (low) expectations somewhat. I won't go back, but I didn't have an unpleasant stay.

Room Tip: Try to get something away from the highway - otherwise, noise could be an issue.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank RunawayBoomer
Wkaplan599, General Manager at Ramada Mesa Phoenix East Area, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Runaway Boomer,

Thank you for your review. Both the hotel and the restaurant will soon be in the process of renovation and repair. I look forward to the many wonderful changes that will restore Dobson Ranch Inn to be the charming and loved resort she once was.

Karl
Salamanca, New York
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

2nd Stay... we booked this hotel solely based on price. We got a great rate that we couldn't find anywhere else. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and settle for less. It's not a two star hotel. But definitely not more than 3. The free breakfast could really up the reviews if they hired someone who didn't overcook everything. Again the waffles were rock hard. Not even some yogurt? Our toilet leaked. The mattress pad was covered in long black hair. Ew. A desk clerk called our room at ten pm demanding I come full out a paper for our car which was already filled out the first night. Then he proceeded to argue with my husband about it. This hotel could be so much more. The ceiling vents are full of dust. Clean them. Put some speakers at the pool. Play some cabana music. Give it some ambiance. The pool is heated and a draw. A snack bar or even snack machines would be a helpful addition. The location is perfect. It's a better hotel than the others in that area. Manager was respectful in listening to our concerns.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank gailmariehs
Dear Gailmariehs,

Thank you for your review. I brought your concerns to my staff and owners. Both the hotel and the restaurant will soon be in the process of renovation and repair. A snack shop/store in the lobby and pool restaurant service are two options being looked at. I look forward to the many wonderful changes that will restore Dobson Ranch Inn to be the charming and loved resort she once was.

Karl
Orange County, CA
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I chose the Dobson Ranch Inn because approximately twenty years ago I lived in the Dobson Ranch area and was familiar with the property. Back in those days, the Dobson Ranch Inn was the closest thing you could get to a resort in Mesa, AZ, before the building boom of the mid to late 1990's. So, I had a picture in my mind of how things used to be. I would say the hotel may be past its prime.

Overall, the outside ground of the hotel were clean, and the lobby tidy. The pool and spa area were clean and seemed nice. Based on the photos on the website I expected there would be a proper exercise room, but was disappointed to find only a few run down pieces of equipment in a small room off the lobby. There are a lot of nice walking and running trails in the Dobson Ranch area, so I took advantage of that.

My room seemed to have been renovated not too long ago, as the carpet, paint and furnishings were in good shape and clean. The towels were terrible, however, and are something you'd expect from a Motel 6, threadbare and small. I would also expect a flat panel television in the room these days. I also discovered an entire wing of the hotel locked up, I'm guessing those are rooms which have not yet been renovated?

I was also very saddened to discover the restaurant had recently closed down, and only the bar was open. The bar serves some food, but the menu is limited. The restaurant does provide a breakfast, which is on par with a Marriott courtyard type of buffet, nothing special.

I'm told the hotel recently lost its affiliation with Best Western because the owners did not want to put money into resurfacing the parking lot, and some other issues. A hotel staff member said the owners put all of the money in the wrong things. I think I agree with them.

I've given probably a higher rating than maybe they deserve, but I was comfortable, it was clean, and it was quiet, and the price could not be beat.

Room Tip: Spend the extra couple of bucks, and make sure to ask for the "Executive King" room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DiamondTrimOC
wkaplan, General Manager at Ramada Mesa Phoenix East Area, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Daimondtrim O.C.
Thank you for your review. It is clear you understand both the history and possibility for this one time Mesa Resort. We are celebrating her 35th year and it seems you remember her grander days. Today we are slowly returning her to glory and hope you will return again to enjoy your stay at Dobson Ranch Inn & Suites.

Iowa
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Dobson rooms are hit and miss. Some are quite nice, some are less than good. My first room overlooked a parking lot. The furniture was dingy the halls were dirty. They gladly moved me to another room that was quite nice and was in the court yard. Unfortunately, two doors down was a trashy family who pulled the desk chairs outside where they BBQ'd on charcoal and smoked cigarettes nonstop...for 3 days. The hotel said nothing to them. If you've been to the Gulf of Mexico on the Louisiana shore you will understand what it could be like to stay here. The price is pretty low and kids like the pool area. Just don't expect a real "resort", in spite of what their iconic photo seems to depict.

Room Tip: Get a court yard room away from the pool.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank msvmaier
Dear Msvmaier,
Thank you for taking time to review Dobson Ranch Inn & Suites. Sorry you had a disruptive smoking family near by. We cannot discriminate nor do we know what kind of people our guests are often times before it's too late. You are right, all rooms are not equal even though we try, some rooms do have newer things in them because the old items were replaced. Hopefully next time you 'll have better experience.

Albuquerque
Reviewed 27 March 2014

First, I'd like to thank the hotel for letting me cancel my reservation through Hotels.com after the first night. That was appreciated. But the reasons why I wanted to leave after the first night are not complimentary. I would just say the pictures on the Website do not paint an accurate picture of the property. Room condition was really sad. The worst part was the condition of the bedding, bed itself, carpet, and furnishings. Just old, and in need of updating and upgrading. Did not sleep well, could hear everything in the adjoining rooms. But I will say that the staff in the lounge were very friendly. Maybe I got the Hotels.com special room- and there are better rooms than what I got. But based on my experience, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dougle96
Dear Douglas 96,
Thank you for your review. I am glad the staff treated you well and that we could reimburse your unused nights. I will share your experience of the "oldness" of the room with our Corporate Office in the hope of speeding-up their transformation.

Karl Le Claire

Travellers are raving about these Mesa hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Booked 4 nights, but left after 1! Disgusting! Stinky Room was dark and dingy with mismatched dented broken down furniture. Nightstand was sticky with rings from glasses of who knows what. Carpets were dirty and had not been vacuumed. Medication and food on carpet. Lampshades were dusty and yellow with age. No one has cleaned mop boards and along the base of walls in years. Bathroom area had all kinds of hair on counter, in the dirty sink, on the toilet, on the floor and everywhere in the tub, which needed a good scouring. Faucets were not clean and still had toothpaste and whatever from previous guests. When we used the tap, found the sink drain was clogged and would not drain. The stool tank lid didn't fit and was at least as old as this aged structure. Bathroom floor was very dirty! Bathroom walls had human waste on them.
Beds had cheesecloth sheets with no mattress pad; sheets did not stay tucked so we woke on a bare, broken down, yellowed mattress. Ughh! What a long night!

We checked four vending machines and could not get one bottle of water. In the morning we hoped to find bottled water on the breakfast bar (which we did not eat from!), and there was none.

When we complained to manager and head of house keeping, their main concern was who had been responsible for cleaning the room the day before. The problem is who has EVER been responsible for cleaning the last year or more! This kind of filth does not happen overnight.

Could not leave this place quick enough. Left without reservations elsewhere.

Stayed March 2014
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
wkaplan, General Manager at Ramada Mesa Phoenix East Area, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thank you for your review. I apologize for the unclean room and agree there is no excuse for it. If you had alerted us immediately, rather than the next day, we would have been happy to move you into a room which would have more than satisfied your stay.
We will be happy to reimburse your stay for the inconvenience caused.