Dobson Ranch Inn and Suites
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We just stayed for one night and glad we weren't staying any longer....grounds are rather nice but facility overall is outdated......nothing special re the room.....very little "extras" in room (eg no laundry bag available; towels in bathroom very thin and small for showers).....comp breakfast although advertised as "full breakfast" offered the same as most motels....nothing special and the potato cakes available on our morning were like "bricks"......needed a knife to cut them...so neither I nor my wife finished them......I'd probably give the Inn an overall 2 1/2 stars if that was available.........just not impressed..........

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank papasmurfTucson_AZ
wkaplan, Director of Sales at Dobson Ranch Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear PapasmurfTucso,
Thank you for your remarks, which I have shared with my staffs.
Our teams are looking into making changes on the Free Breakfast by providing healthy breakfast such more fresh fruits,oakmeal, yogurt,pastries and coffee/tea.
We are at the moment making changes to up keep the hotel in providing excellent services and facilities to our guests.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Dobson Ranch Resort is an ok hotel, it is not a resort! It has a pool, but no other "resort" amenities. The room was clean, but so dark. Someone in my group described the room as "on the run from a drug cartel" style.

The location is very convenient for getting on the Superstition Freeway and anywhere else in Tempe/Mesa you need to go. For the one night we needed. Place to sleep, it was fine.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank DLSArizona
wkaplan, Director of Sales at Dobson Ranch Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear DLSArizona,
Thank you for your review. You had mentioned it is a Resort but it has always never been a resort since it was opened in 1979 by Dwight Patterson "Father of the Cactus League". The inn came alive when Milwaukee Brewers, Cubs and fans stays in this hotel for many years. Dobson Ranch Inn & Suites became one of the favorite vacation sports for East Valley visitors and baseball teams.
Our teams are working hard to improve the facilities and services to provide our guests Excellent Services.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Ended up staying here as part of a group and, like others have written, was concerned because of all of the negative comments. I would liken the room to an older Comfort Inn -- not good, not bad -- okay. Room was clean, I would describe decor as "threadbare." Lighting is poor in the room (and in the vanity area). Everything worked. It wasn't uncomfortable, it wasn't particularly comfortable.

As an older property the construction was sound and there was no noise from outside or the rooms next door (and we were right next to the vending machines). The staff was pretty accommodating. There was some confusion because when I checked in I was asked for my license plate number and when I didn't remember off the top of my head the guy said to just drop it off later. When I went to drop it off later, I was told that they really didn't need it.

Don't expect to use the exercise room -- the large room near the pool is empty and there are a few old machines off the lobby. If you are bothered by insecure property (no locked entrance and all rooms open to inside grassy area), this is not the place for you to stay. I have to say the neighborhood seemed nice and I didn't feel threatened.

Breakfast was substantial buffet in restaurant and it was a step above a standard hotel breakfast buffet with hot and cold items. Restaurant is clean but looks like original decor from when hotel was built originally. Staff at buffet was accommodating.

It is in a nice residential area and there is a coffee shop as well as a Starbuck's across the street.

When I was checking in there was a man at the desk saying that he'd been told to come back to change his room because his original room wasn't to his satisfaction and they exchanged keys.

About a 15 minute drive from downtown area of Mesa. We ate at the hotel restaurant one night and the food was quite good and service friendly (if a little slow because they didn't have a full staff because it was the end of the season and our group pretty much filled the restaurant -- actually when you consider how many people were there the service was amazing).

Room Tip: If I stayed at this hotel because the price was right, I'd suggest checking your room right away and going back if it's not satisfactory. I'd suggest a room that opens on the courtyard.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Jane G
wkaplan, Director of Sales at Dobson Ranch Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Jane,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Our teams are working hard to maintain our standards and we appreciate your recommendation. We do have security walk round the property to keep our guests safe. Your feedback is very important to us as a way to highlight areas we can improve in the near future.
I have shared your comments with our hotel management and owners accordingly.
Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Dobson Ranch Inn & Suites.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I had to stay at this hotel with a group, and when I read the reviews I almost didn't go. I even called the hotel in advance to try to ensure I got a renovated room, but they gave me the standard lame, "We can't guarantee that" line. So I went to the hotel with no little trepidation.

Overall, I have to say that our stay was fine. Fine as in OK. Not good - but not bad. Fine.

One important thing you should consider is that there is really no security. Entry to guest rooms is all off walkways unsecured from the public. That gives it a very motel-ish feel. The area seems safe enough - within a somewhat residential area - but very close to highway 60. Surprisingly, our room was quiet, as it was on the south side of the hotel (away from the highway) and facing a residential road.

Fortunately, we got a room that seemed to have been fairly recently renovated. The carpet was good. The bath had a clean fiberglass insert. The vanity counter was intact. Some of the furniture was clearly older - a dresser that actually looked antique, and a chair with tired upholstery. The bed and bedding were fine. The sheets may have been old, but they were clean, soft and comfortable. Sleep quality was good.

As to public spaces... The lobby has been redecorated. The pool itself seemed clean and pretty well maintained, although the pool deck is crumbling and needs to be resurfaced. The furnishings in the restaurant were pretty tired.

Service was OK too. Some employees seemed pretty inexperienced, but everyone was pleasant. Breakfast was substantial - eggs, potatoes, breakfast meat, pancakes or waffles, oatmeal, pastries, cereal, coffee, juice. Quality average but adequate.

I expected to give this place a 2 - but they exceeded my (low) expectations somewhat. I won't go back, but I didn't have an unpleasant stay.

Room Tip: Try to get something away from the highway - otherwise, noise could be an issue.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank RunawayBoomer
Wkaplan599, General Manager at Dobson Ranch Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Runaway Boomer,

Thank you for your review. Both the hotel and the restaurant will soon be in the process of renovation and repair. I look forward to the many wonderful changes that will restore Dobson Ranch Inn to be the charming and loved resort she once was.

Karl

Reviewed 16 April 2014

2nd Stay... we booked this hotel solely based on price. We got a great rate that we couldn't find anywhere else. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and settle for less. It's not a two star hotel. But definitely not more than 3. The free breakfast could really up the reviews if they hired someone who didn't overcook everything. Again the waffles were rock hard. Not even some yogurt? Our toilet leaked. The mattress pad was covered in long black hair. Ew. A desk clerk called our room at ten pm demanding I come full out a paper for our car which was already filled out the first night. Then he proceeded to argue with my husband about it. This hotel could be so much more. The ceiling vents are full of dust. Clean them. Put some speakers at the pool. Play some cabana music. Give it some ambiance. The pool is heated and a draw. A snack bar or even snack machines would be a helpful addition. The location is perfect. It's a better hotel than the others in that area. Manager was respectful in listening to our concerns.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank gailmariehs

Dear Gailmariehs,

Thank you for your review. I brought your concerns to my staff and owners. Both the hotel and the restaurant will soon be in the process of renovation and repair. A snack shop/store in the lobby and pool restaurant service are two options being looked at. I look forward to the many wonderful changes that will restore Dobson Ranch Inn to be the charming and loved resort she once was.

Karl