“Watch for extra charges on bill”

Ramada Mesa Phoenix East Area
Ranked #37 of 57 Hotels in Mesa
Colorado
“Watch for extra charges on bill”
Reviewed 3 February 2009

We just returned from a few days staying at the Dobson Ranch Inn. It was booked thru elderhostel. The rooms are very dark, linens could used an upgrade. We had a problem checking out. I signed the bill before noticing an extra charge on our bill. There was no one on duty who could show us a receipt for the charge, the mgr could not come out of a meeting, even when we returned after lunch. We left feeling very cheated.

• Disliked — Lack of service at front desk.
  • Stayed January 2008
1 Thank travellight7
dobsonranch, Assistant Manager at Ramada Mesa Phoenix East Area, responded to this review, 5 February 2009
We would like to thank this guest for bringing this unfortunate circumstance to our attention while they were staying at our hotel. This guest was contacted and notified that there was a charge misapplied to their room and informed that a full refund had been issued. Thanks to this guest a new policy has been put into affect to insure if management is not available that the guest charge is corrected until management is available to research the issue.

The Best Western Dobson Ranch Inn is just finishing up a 2 million dollar renovation. The only items left for completion of the renovation is the new lighting as well as the new linens including comforters and bed skirts. All of these items have been ordered and will be completed before March 15, 2009.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
USA
Reviewed 1 January 2009

The location is perfect for hopping on US 60 (Superstition Freeway), which is why I chose this hotel. My room faced Dobson Road and the highway, and while the traffic noise was fairly well muffled I would suggest getting a room on the other side if you can.

In many hotels the hot water isn't hot enough for me to shave. Not so at the Dobson Ranch, where the hot water is SCALDING! Make sure the kiddies don't get near the faucets without supervision... seriously. But it does make for a nice hot shower.

During my stay the lobby was closed, so checkin and guest services were run out of a makeshift office. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was filling but b-o-r-i-n-g. Every day the same three hot dishes: eggs, home fries, and sausage. No fresh fruit, no yogurt, no oatmeal (at least I didn't see any), and most of the cereals were loaded with sugar.

Bottom line: I'd stay again if I got the same price (under $60).

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
Herndon, VA
Reviewed 9 October 2008

My sister and I stayed at the Best Western Dodson Ranch Inn and Resort on Oct 1st through Oct 7th. The room was big with two comfortable queen size beds. There was a frig and coffee maker in the room. It also had a iron and ironing board. We received a free hot buffet breakfast every morning. The hotel was quiet even with remodeling going on. The pool was big and very nice. Also the hotel staff was polite and always helpful with directions. If I am ever in the area again I will be staying at this hotel.
THANKS TO ALL AT THE BEST WESTERN DODSON RANCH INN AND RESORT.

• Liked — The big comfortable beds
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 4 August 2008

I will be traveling to the Mesa area frequently over the next year for business, and was checking out places to stay. The BW Dobson Ranch is the closet to my business location, so I definitely wanted to check it out! Upon check in, the staff accomodated my AARP rate, but when I advised them of my purpose for being there, they immediately gave me the corporate rate. The room was somewhat dark, not the best lighting, but we were there to sleep mostly. Nice fridge, but would like a microwave also. When we initially entered the room, we got this Pine-Sol type of smell, but that disappeared over time. Shortly after checking in, the desk staff called the room to check to see if everything was to our satisfaction! The breakfast was great! The pool was very nice as well. This facility is definitley on my short list!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
Gold Coast Australia
Reviewed 25 July 2008

We stayed at the Dobson Ranch & Resort in April 2008 and it was a pleasant surprise. Nice & quiet, close to supermarket for supplies. We were travelling around USA for a month from Australia and this was the last place we stayed before flying home. It was great. Room had a nice size fridge. Laundry room was the cheapest we had come across during our travels. The grounds were also lovely. We had one meal in the restaurant and it was great! We would certainly stay here again.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
Nashua, NH
Reviewed 17 May 2008

Ok, the property is really nice. Our room was against the a/c unit for the hole building. The entire wall shook, but there were no other rooms available. Ok, I'll put up with it. Then it happened, at 12:34 the toilet upstairs leaked. You got it, all over the bed. It took the front desk another call and 30 min to respond. Long story short I was not happy. When I returned home I waited for mangment to contact me as I requested. They didn't until I contacted again. To be honest the manager did give a more than decent apology. Will I stay again, yes. The property was that nice.

• Liked — Grounds and pool area
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank nashuanh5
Reviewed 24 March 2008

My son and I recently stayed at the Dobson Ranch for five days in early March to catch some spring training action. On previous spring training getaways, we've stayed at the Marriot Courtyard and Residence Inn, but unfortunately decided to save a few bucks this year by staying at Dobson Ranch. All in all, it was a poor experience as the rooms are very tired and poorly maintained. The service provided by the hotel's minimal staff was also severely lacking as it took three attempts to have housekeeping provide an extra pillow and two days to change the burned out flourescent tube light over our vanity. Additionally, we had problems ordering an in room movie and had game tickets stolen from our room (luckily, we were able to cancel and have new tickets reissued...although the indifferent staff was of no help).

As for positives, the pool is nice and the free breakfast is okay (although a little variety would be nice...). In a nutshell, I would not recommend this to friends or family because of the poorly maintained, outdated rooms and the ineffective, undermanned staff. There are several better options in the Mesa area that can be had for a few dollars more.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank ZZXZ
dobsonranch, Sales Manager at Ramada Mesa Phoenix East Area, responded to this review, 28 March 2008
The Dobson Ranch Inn is now under new ownership and by the end of 2008 will have undergone a $2 million dollar renovation (including the guestrooms).

Travellers are raving about these Mesa hotels