“Best Western Mezona Inn” 5 of 5 bubbles

Mesa Mezona Hotel
Ranked #18 of 57 Hotels in Mesa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Shoreline, United States
“Best Western Mezona Inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

If you are looking for a clean, restful room with a pool, Mezona Inn, Mesa AZ cannot be beat. The staff is very helpful and willing to make your stay as stress-free as possible. Most of all, this motel is Clean, Clean, CLEAN!! The rooms and the grounds are immaculate: the pool is crystal clear. The beds are comfortable but the pillows leave a little to be desired; but nothing is perfect and pillows are a personal preference. This is a great deal for the price and we stay here whenever we visit family in the Phoenix area.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Kathy H, General Manager at Mesa Mezona Hotel, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and will return the next time you are in the area. We strive to provide nice clean rooms, great service and value to all our guests. I appreciate your taking the time to write a review of your experience for others to read. Your comments on what makes a good pillow being varied is so true. We do keep extras for those who prefer a firmer pillow. I hope you and yours have a great New Year.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Warrington, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

A decent place to stay while we visited the Apache Trail and Taliesin West. The only real negative from the experience was that the soap dispenser in the shower did not work and they only gave us 1 bar of soap for the sink. So we used the 1 bar from the sink for everything (made it stretch). The shampoo dispenser worked fine in the shower. The attendant at the counter was friendly at check-in and the woman working the breakfast was nice as well. The Orange Juice was watered down a tad much for my taste so I avoided it after the 1st day but there was a good selection of typical breakfast items from which to choose.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review of your experience to share with others. I am sorry for the incident with the soap dispenser and certainly apologize for the inconvenience it caused. They are new and our housekeepers definitely need better training to avoid this in the future. I am glad you enjoyed your stay otherwise. I will have to check on the mixture for our juice too. I hope you will come and stay with us again the next time you are in Mesa.

Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

Front desk clerks were helpful and friendly and the hotel is located within easy walking distance to the downtown Mesa Arts District. Housekeeping staff could have used some training, though. All of the soap dispensers in the room were empty, and only one side of the sink had been cleaned. This was an OK place to stay—but with a little bit of attention to detail, it could be a really nice place to stay.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review of your experience. I am sorry that you found the stay "Just OK" but based on your comments I certainly understand your point of view. I apologize for the soap dispenser being empty and agree some additional training is needed for our housekeeping staff. I appreciate your candid review. I hope you will allow us another opportunity to serve you the next time you are in Mesa.
Clarkdale, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

I really wanted to write a better review for the Mezona. We had problems, though.
Despite these problems, you should know that staff, from front desk to maintenance to the general manager, handled everything very well, and my money was refunded in full.
I have no complaints about the staff. They were great.

I'd been wanting to stay at the Mezona Inn ever since reading it had been the Chicago Cubs spring training home-away-from-home back in the day. It mostly met my expectations as far as style (1960s-70s), location (good, near downtown Mesa and just a couple miles from the current end point of the Light Rail system, which is being extended and should soon reach downtown Mesa). They are pet-friendly, which we always appreciate as we travel with little dogs.The price was decent-- we got an pre-paid online rate somewhere around $52 (a sizable discount from their regular rates), plus there was an additional fee for our pets. Pool was nice, hot tub clean and well maintained and staff was helpful.

Our room, 122, was a pet-friendly room around back. The room on first glance was impressive, clean, and nicely put together. The linens were nice, the heating/cooling system was real high tech, and the TV got lots of channels. The motel was pretty busy with lots of guests checked in. There was a big family staying in the room next to us, with several small, unsupervised toddlers that kept opening and closing the door and running outside revealing their tired-looking parents in various states of undress on the bed. It was a little seedy.

In the middle of the night I woke up to something crawling on my arm. We are frequent campers and accustomed to the wild creatures of the desert, so I didn't think much of it, but I kept feeling something walking on me, so I got up and turned the light on. Bed bugs. I freaked. I grabbed a film canister and walked around searching for more. We found about 5 or 6 that morning..
It was 2:00am and as I had to get up at 4:00am to head down to Mesa to see my friends participate in a triathlon, I did not call the front desk to move rooms. It didn't seem worth the trouble, though I did find myself rising every 20 minutes to look for sign of any more bed bugs. It was a restless sleep, with one eye open til the alarm sounded.

I brought the film canister to the front counter when I got back from the race start, and the contents were confirmed as bed bugs. They sent maintenance right away. The guy was great and really helpful. He heat-treated all of our clothing and the dogs' bedding in an industrial drier that heats up to 150 degrees, and gave us advice on how to manage other items, like my husband's pillow (put in the freezer when we got home) as severe heat and severe cold are the only ways to really kill these very tenacious bugs.

We suffered no bites or anything like that, but we were freaked out by the episode.
We've stayed in lots of very weird, very vintage motels over the years, but this was the very first time I'd ever encountered bed bugs. We were pretty bummed.

But, as I mentioned, the staff was gracious, apologetic, helpful, and they refunded my payment in full, including the pet fee.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kathy H, General Manager at Mesa Mezona Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
I want to extend my sincere apologies for the freaky experience you had while staying with us. We do our best to prevent such incidents but unfortunately, on rare occasions we have to handle such unpleasant situations. I am glad our staff was responsive to your needs. I am sorry too for the noise issues from other guests. I appreciate your taking the time to share your experience both good and bad as it helps us get better. I hope if you are ever back in Mesa you will provide us with another opportunity to serve your lodging needs.

Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

It was one of the worst experiences of my life. The first room I got the housekeeping never bothered to clean the sink or the toilet. When I called to complain I was told that the housekeeping wasn't in right now they can ask their repair guy to come look at it. They moved me to a second room eventually where when I put the toilet seat down there was pee stains all over it. I was finally moved to a third room which they asked me to check before I move in and finally that one was clean. However, I stayed there three nights and found out that everyday when the housekeeping came they never bothered changing my sheets. The beds were made and the card was left on top of them to show that everything was washed and cleaned. How do I know that the sheets were never cleaned or changed? there was a black stain on one side of the sheet and that stain was in the exact same place all three days. I can now say for sure that the other two rooms I got before this one neither the sheets were changed nor the toilets were cleaned after the last guests left. The beds were made which was very deceiving. The staff has absolutely no knowledge of customer service or how to deal with situations like these. Before I checked out I complained at the first desk about it and the young girl over there said "ok, I will let my housekeeping know" when I was walking out she realized that she should say sorry so then she said "I'm sorry for the inconvenience" that's pretty much it. It is the worst place I have ever stayed at. I have previously stayed at best western and they have been clean but this place is nothing even close to being clean. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Unless you don't care about your sheets being changed or the bathroom being cleaned after the last person left the room. Stay away!

Green Features: Very environmentally friendly as they never bother to wash their sheets. They save a lot of water doing this.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback, we genuinely appreciate any feedback from our guests. Whether it’s positive or negative it helps us get better. We are disappointed we didn’t meet your expectations during your recent visit with us. We pride ourselves on offering an exceptional experience from check in to check out; and when we fail to do so we take a look back and see where it is we went wrong. I am sorry for the cleaning and customer service issues you experienced. I assure you that the experience you had is not commonplace here. It is unfortunate you will not return but we thank you for your previous business.

Regards,
Sierra Vista, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

This was the first time we stayed at this Best Western Hotel. It's located in the downtown area. The room was comfortably furnished. While not new and bright, everything worked! We didn't get a chance to use the pool or spa because of our schedule, but it sure looked inviting. Breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

1 Thank Mark K
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your review with others on trip advisor. Your opinions are an important part of assuring our guests are receiving the best service possible. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in the area. Your business is appreciated.

Gunnison, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

The best western was a good value. The Carpets are stained and the toiletries are in pump containers on the walls. The bed are comfortable and the place while older was well run. My only issue at all was the very noisy wedding party that for two nights was loud and obnoxious. But the front desk staff was awesome and took care of the problem well.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

1 Thank Burke L
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our property with others. Customer reviews are important. I am sorry that the wedding party was so disruptive. I am glad our staff took care of the issue in a timely and efficient manner. Our property is a good value, centrally located and we do our best to insure each guest enjoys their stay. I hope you will come and stay with us again the next time you are in Mesa.