“Motel 6 - a Basic Base”

Ranked #35 of 57 Hotels in Mesa
Chicago, IL
“Motel 6 - a Basic Base”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Having wrapped-up business in Las Vegas earlier this year (March), I decided to take a ride though the desert and take in some spring training baseball. This was to serve as my first visit to the greater Phoenix area, and a perfect middle-finger to the Chicago cold back home. For starters, I use these reviews as a guide when I haven't been to an area before and the Phoenix area is easily THE MOST DIFFICULT to book a hotel for someone who hasn't been there before (and I am a regular in Europe!). Most reviews are inherently negative to begin with but it is overwhelmingly so in Phoenix - EVERY hotel seems to have 'cockroaches' or be the scene of a 'filming of COPS', according to over-the-top reviewers here. These are all people who don't understand that, in life, you tend to get what you pay for. So, what I decided was that this econo motel needs is one good, reasonable, and balanced review (no offense anyone). So, read on for the Great, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly with some bottom line comments . . .

GREAT

* The only thing truly 'great' about this hotel was the price. There are many similarly low-priced motels in this area, but at least I know this one now (I'm hoping this March trip will now be annual).

GOOD

* Service: for this class of hotel, I found the staff - in a few interactions - to be very good. I had flown stupid Spirit Airlines who charges you $10 for printing your boarding pass at the airport (!!). Of course I wanted to avoid that and the front desk woman graciously let me send her a file of my boarding pass to print. And, I happened to walk into the maintenance man and mentioned a small problem with the sink drain (apparently there is a part from the drain that "tweakers" like to steal to help them smoke crack, or something!). I came back to find it promptly fixed. This is a good staff for this class of hotel.

* Location: The location is 'good' and not a bad base for exploring the area. I found plenty of shopping and convenience options nearby. This is good as this hotel is as sparse as it gets, as to be expected.

* Cleanliness: never mistake a hotel's cleanliness for being outdated - they are two different things. Sure these rooms are sparse and like a trip to 1989, but I found everything to be reasonably clean.

BAD (room for improvement)

* Room Switch: I arrived late at night and was given a handicap room as the type of room I booked wasn't available. So, I spent the first of a few nights in it. They did promptly switch me to the right room the next morning. No prob, but had I stayed in the handicap room I would have had a much dimmer view of this hotel - it smelled of cigarette smoke and the room's furniture, decor, and lay-out were far worse than the regular rooms.

* Temperature Control: as others have said, this is a weakness. These are loud older, outboard styled AC units. Mine worked but 'barely' - they are loud and a far cry from modern systems where one simply sets the desired temperature digitally and the system does the rest. To an extent, you should expect this in this class of motel - to an extent.

* Lay-out / Closeness: I had no problems with noise, neighbors, etc. but . . . I could see this being a crap-shoot with this kind of hotel. These are outdoor-access rooms and all are either enclosed in a courtyard or facing parking lots, so all it would take are a few stupid people outside talking loud, congregating, or drinking to be a nuisance. It didn't happen, luckily. On the subject of closeness, you may find parking to be a little sparse if you get back late.

* Fan: the bathroom fan was loud - why is that ALWAYS the case in this kind of motel!?

UGLY

* I didn't encounter any ugliness but easily see the potential. When i had my boarding pass printed at the office I was curious to see some kind of sticky beverage all over the ground. The nice persons in the office explained some wackos just inquired about a room and when they were told 'no openings' they became incensed and threw some kind of beverage at the office from outside. This is NOT the hotel's fault but this is the kind of potential low-life you may encounter at ANY motel in this price range. That said, most of the people at this hotel were like me - just on vacation taking in spring training.

BOTTOM LINE

* I felt like I received good value and got what I paid for. But, I understand that I get what I pay for. I had just left a master suite at Mandalay Bay in LV and it was like entering a different planet but, again, $250 a night gets you something $40 a night doesn't. I don't think everyone that posts reviews here gets that.

* If you really are handicapped and don't absolutely NEED the handicapped room, you may want to skip it. The regular rooms are nicer.

* You can stay here with confidence but you must # 1- come with accurate expectations and # 2 - keep an eye on things. Both of these things apply anywhere, really.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 4 April 2014

The motel is in a nice location. The staff was great. BUT, there's not much to add in the way of amenities. The room had no shampoo, no hair dryer, no fridge, no microwave, no clock, no radio, no laundry bag, no Kleenex, no coffee maker, no free wi-fi. Basically what you get is a bed, a bible, and a television. The heated pool wasn't.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marutiak

Travellers are raving about these Mesa hotels

Buffalo Grove, Illinois
Reviewed 18 March 2014

First off I must say that its a motel6, so lets keep some perspective here.... A little confusing arrival as there are 2 motel6's within a block of each other... Had to stay an extra day last minute as my flight home was cancelled due to a winter storm.... Room clean enough, although bed spread had numerous cigarette burns, also sheets were ripped in some spots... Tv is an old cathode ray tube, retro, LOL.... Room was freezing, I guess a good thing in the dead of summer.... Some unsavory characters walking around property at night, but I had no problems.... In a pinch I might stay again , but probably just one night...

Room Tip: The back near the pool was quiet enough, once the pool crowd packed it in....
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Benefits
Claresholm, Canada
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Bed was improperly made; bedspreads had cigarette burns; phone and remote control were dirty and sticky; noisy fans; very dirty outside entry area and sidewalk to rooms.
I travel with my dog and find these Motels to be accommodating, fairly clean and reasonably priced.
Worst Motel 6 I've ever stayed in.
New manager was eager to improve facility and hopefully he will make changes.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Bev R
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stayed in this motel from Sat/Sunday. Apparently they always sell out in the weekend so they raise the price quite a bit. We arrived at 5.30 pm, in the middle of a rainstorm. Just as we arrived, the maids started pushing the trash cans & room service carts around, blocking the way. What motel has the room service clean up the rooms while the new guests are arriving? The maids were unfriendly and unprofessional. The beds were terribly uncomfortable and the windows couldn't be opened. Two small towels for the whole room, which was very small. Will not stay there again, ever.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Guest_0403
Yuma, Arizona
Reviewed 4 October 2013

N33 23.353 W 111 50.284
10/1/13

Motel 6 Mesa – Country Club Dr. #0378
We have stayed at this motel a few times over the past year. Most have been OK but the last two times it has been going downhill. Our last stay on 10/1/13 was a nightmare. It started out with lots of people standing outside talking very loud until about 11:PM. One group went upstairs with more loud talking walking very hard and slamming of doors. Now this was above us about two rooms down. Next was about 2/ AM someone in the same area started something that sounded like a motorcycle or race car. This went on for about 45 min’s. All was good until 5/ AM when the people above us two rooms down started yelling at each other again, walking hard and slamming doors.

There is no way the office could not have heard the first group talking or the motorcycle or race car running at 2: AM. When we checked out we brought this to the girl’s attention.

Years ago we would stay at the Motel 6 on Main St. Mesa until it got so bad that we moved to this one. There is something about the neighborhood. There is another Motel down on Country Club and Main that keeps the lobby doors locked.

Emry & Virginia

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Emry L
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Mesa North, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Emry,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. The noisy conditions you encountered are not consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6, and we sincerely apologize for your unpleasant stay. Please kindly contact our Guest Relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you and our other guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.
Reviewed 26 August 2013

What a train wreck! I admit, I was sucked in by the price but it wasn't worth it. The carpet wasn't vacuumed well, the AC wouldn't keep up with cooling the room, the "non-smoking" room smelled of cigarettes, the blanket had cigarette holes burned through it, there was only 1 towel I the room to share with my wife, the TV channels were not much more than static, and the bed was very uncomfortable. We were going to stay 2 nights but the following morning I went to the front desk to cancel my next night stay. I advised the desk of the problems and they simply said "Sorry".

At least I got my money back for the night I canceled.

Room Tip: Don't try to save money by staying here, it's not worth it.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dale R
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Mesa North, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear Dale R - Thank you for posting your review. We apologize for the unpleasant stay you experienced as a result of the bedding conditions, carpet cleanliness, odor and bed comfort issues you encountered in your room. The issues you experienced are certainly not consistent with Motel 6 standards for quality, and we encourage you to contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you and our other guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.