“Horrible service”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Ranked #29 of 57 Hotels in Mesa
Reviewed 6 April 2014

The front desk personnel acted as if they were totally annoyed that they had to wait on me. I had booked 4 nights....and decided to cancel the reservation and find another hoter. Moved to the Comfort Suites in Mesa and received terrific service. When I told the clerk at the Clarion to cancel my reservation she just said "OK".

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
tejash p, Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed at the Clarion Inn in Mesa because it was much less expensive than hotels in Phoenix or Scottsdale. The hotel was nice, but unfortunately for the hotel, the Main Street is torn up and you can only turn one direction out of the hotel. I think this is why we received a very reasonable price. The breakfast was pretty good, but the small room was packed each morning. The pool and hot tub are very nice -- highly chlorinated but nice.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
tejash p, Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

tj

Reviewed 23 March 2014

You get what you pay for but even still it wasn't what it should have been.
We were looking for inexpensive place to stay to do some things in Mesa/Phoenix area.
Check in was a hassale as they couldn't finc our choice privileges # and basically we gave up and said we'd call the 800 # later.
Room was ok but nothing special. Looked clean, except for top of mirror in sink area.
Nice balcony overlooking pool (or some rooms only parking lot) but no chairs to sit out there and only one moveable chair in room. (There were 2 of us.)
Bathtub/shower had no grab bar. Towels were dingy, dingy, gray dingy. I looked on maid's cart to see about changing them out but they were all that way.
Breakfast was meager to say the least. They had no one servicing the area and saw several people waiting for replacement food. Breakfast room not big enough for all the guests and they wouldn't let them sit in lobby area.
Male clerk sitting in lobby at check in wouldn't help female clerks who were clearly having difficulties & guests were lining up.
Smoking by pool area and on balconies allowed and smoke came into room. Gate by pool needs to be oiled badly, squeaks very loudly every time opened and can hear it even with windows shut.

Room Tip: Dont expect much. Ask for upper room if want quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
tejash p, Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Our family used the hotel pool on a late afternoon. When we were done, we hung our bathing suits on the side of our bathtub. We even made sure that they were ringed well so as not to have any puddles outside the tub & even lined the outside with a towel. The next day, a company that provides excursion to the Grand Canyon picked us up at 6am. The trip lasted for 14hrs. Before leaving, we placed the "Do Not Disturb" sign on our door as we were rushing to get out and did not have a chance to lock any personal items-as the room had no safe. Upon our return, our room key failed to work. My husband asked for a replacement. The manager snapped at my husband yelling, “You left your room a mess!” When asked to clarify the manager stated that we left our bathing suits hanging on the tub thereby giving the housekeeper a hard time cleaning the tub. The manager loudly stated that they have a coin-operated dryer and we should have used it to dry our bathing suits. We explained to the manager that this is unheard of and no hotel had ever given us a hard time hanging bathing suits in the bathroom. The manager ordered us to leave their property! That pretty much left us with no choice but to leave. We were treated rudely for a very petty reason. We feared for our safety as the manager behaved inappropriately & in addition, went against our “Do Not Disturb” request. It is so unfortunate that very inexperienced staff run this hotel with no proper training on Customer Service.

Room Tip: We learned the hard way. Do not try to save money by going with an inexpensive hotel. You get what y...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank AROP64
tejash p, Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

dear guest

clarion inn

Reviewed 13 March 2014

NOT the hotels fault for the road construction.
However i had a very quiet nights stay, comfy bed, and very clean.
Price was excellent and I would recomend this establishment.
Looks new or nearly renovated.

Room Tip: Be prepared...they are building a light rail system and Heavy construction will be there for awhile...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
tejash p, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

tj

Reviewed 12 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
tejash p, Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Reviewed 10 March 2014

I won't blame the hotel for the location or the road construction. That's out of their control. I will blame the staff for the overwhelming smell of curry being cooked in room 226, which is apparently living quarters for the management of the hotel.

The linens were old and clearly victims of thousands of washings. But at least they were washed. Our traveling partners had a pee stain on their sheet and their mattress pad, indicating that the linens were not changed from the previous guests.

The carpets in the hallways were tattered and smelled musty and mildewy. I already mentioned the curry smell that dominated our hallway day and night.

When I checked in, the clerk tried to raise my rate $35/night because my wife was with me, while my reservation only indicated one adult. I called the 800 number in front of the clerk. After I hung up with the 800 number customer service and keeping my room at the original rate, the clerk rudely and brusquely checked me in in complete silence, broken only by him telling me my room number. Nothing but mouse clicks and the sounds of the printer for several minutes. Awkward.

My room key didn't work for the locked door for the continental breakfast, but given the overall state of the hotel, I didn't even bother to ask for access to the breakfast room.

No elevators for luggage carts. The exercise room smelled TERRIBLE.

I learned three things on this recent stay: 1. I will never let anyone else book my travel ever again 2. Do not trust online reviews and 3. I will never stay at the Clarion Inn in Mesa, ever again.

Oh, one more thing....the TV's were outdated, non-flat screen, standard definition, in case that matters to some people. It did to me.

Room Tip: stay on the first floor, nowhere near room 226.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Barry B
tejash p, Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014