“Nice Hotel - Near Nothing” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Phoenix Marriott Mesa

Phoenix Marriott Mesa
Ranked #20 of 57 Hotels in Mesa
chicago
“Nice Hotel - Near Nothing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Friendly staff, nice quiet accomodations. Problem is there are very little dining and no shopping opportunities nearby. The property has a nice set of meeting rooms in a separate building. Good spot to hold meetings, but other than that a decent hotel set far away from everything.

Room Tip: End of halls away from elevators
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PhoenixMarriottmesa, General Manager at Phoenix Marriott Mesa, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
We appreciate your feedback on your stay with us at the Phoenix Marriott Mesa.

We are located 3 blocks away from the downtown Mesa area. I'm sorry that you did not have the chance to explore our historic downtown area. Much work is happening downtown to extend the light rail into our area. There will be stops available within walking distance from us by 2015. This will provide access into Tempe, Phoenix, and Sky Harbor Airport.

I hope that you have the chance to visit us again, and get to experience all that Mesa and the East Valley has to offer.

Donald Gibson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Soquel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a conference and the hotel was average but a little pricey. When I checked in, I had asked for a king room which they could only give me on the first floor near the fitness center. I wanted a high floor and could only get a double room. I went up to the room and it was hot and the thermostat said 62. I went back down and miraculously they gave me a room on the 5th floor with a king bed.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Doglover3336
Thank you for your comments concerning your stay with us here in Mesa.

I apologize for the time it took to find you the right room accommodation. Our staff goes through an extensive pre-arrival process to ensure that we can meet the arrival expectations of each guest. I have shared your comments with the team.

I hope that we have an opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Campton Hills, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Clean comfortable room. Not near anything. Can't walk to town areas. Needs back yard -courtyard landscaping, one elevator didn't work, two fountains not working. No wow factor. Won't stay there again. Fine if there for conference only.

• Stayed April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
PhoenixMarriottmesa, General Manager at Phoenix Marriott Mesa, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel. While you did mention the clean, comfortable room, you also mentioned a few things that fell short of your expectation.

We are located three blocks north of downtown Mesa. The light rail construction that is taking place will link us next year to Tempe, Phoenix, and Sky Harbor Airport. Historic downtown Mesa will be revitalized with this work.

We hope to see you back as our guest soon, and have you experience all that downtown Mesa has to offer.

Aurora, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as a part of a travel package deal. The hotel is very clean and updated with all the amenities including a well laid out pool, jacuzzi, and fire pit area. The room (202)) adjoined a sun deck that overlooked the pool area and was very convenient. The surrounding area is somewhat depressed though appears to be growing with in the introduction this year of the Chicago Cubs spring training campus. Overall, not bad.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
PhoenixMarriottmesa, General Manager at Phoenix Marriott Mesa, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Thank you for your comments concerning your stay with us at the Phoenix Marriott Mesa.

We are very proud of our hotel, and staff. Your comments have been shared with them. Our area of Mesa is quickly transforming. The addition of the new Cubs facility has been a plus. Next year, we will have the Oakland A's just a few blocks away at Hohokam field for spring training. Having two major league teams in Mesa will be a fantastic for all of our spring visitors. Additionally, the light rail will be expanding into downtown Mesa in 2015. Transportation will be available to our guest just three blocks away.. This will allow easy travel into Tempe, Phoenix, and the airport. This work will also coincide with the rebirth of Historic Downtown Mesa.

Our area is a diamond in the rough, but will quickly be known as a terrific area to spend time in the East Valley. We hope you have the chance to come back, stay with us, and experience all that downtown Mesa will have to offer.

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

I am a Marriott Platinum member so I do know a little something about Marriott properties.
When I checked in they had no rooms on the concierge level. As a valued Marriott customer, they put me on the first floor next to an exit door that is broken and doesn't lock (and it should). The door slams shut every time.
I asked to be changed to the concierge level the next day but was given the run around. I was even considering paying more because "people who pay for that level get priority", but they wouldn't give me a price I would have to pay.
The gyms air conditioner doesn't work. It's 80 degrees (I checked). The concierge printer is out of service...so I had to use the computer in the lobby level. The staff didn't know the password....finally one did. Management is not present as far as I have seen. The restaurant staff on the first night was talking smack about the patrons not sitting at the bar.

I will end on one good note..the staff in the concierge lounge was very nice and professional

Stayed March 2014
PhoenixMarriottmesa, General Manager at Phoenix Marriott Mesa, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
I apologize for the issues that you faced while you were here. We discussed these yesterday in the lobby. Our concierge floor was completely full due to a full house, but we should have found a way to get you away from the room that you were in. I have addressed the restaurant staff regarding the comments you made, but without specifics from you, we a were not able to pinpoint the exact night--we did have a broader discussion around proper behavior by the staff. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

We are aware of the fitness room temperature, and are addressing it. Our hotel is undergoing several renovation projects, and while we can't address them all at once, we are making the effort to impact the larger areas.

We appreciate your loyalty to Marriott, and the fact that you are a Platinum member with us.

Long Island, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

Visit here was for a corporate outing and was very disappointed in the hotel. It's just worn and old. The rooms are okay, clean and functional but the again, just old and worn.

The pool is not Marriott or Phoenix quality.
The outside sitting areas are decent but don't have the Marriott feel that you have come to expect from their properties.

Though there was no big individual discrepancy that stood out, as a whole the hotel just doesn't meet the Marriott brand quality. Many of my co-workers felt the same way.

As a side note, the staff was excellent and the conference facilities very good.

This is just one of those older hotel properties that one day you drive past and it goes from a Marriott/Hilton to a Radisson/Doubletree.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PhoenixMarriottmesa, General Manager at Phoenix Marriott Mesa, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you fro taking the time to share your opinion of your stay with us at the Phoenix Marriott Mesa. While I was encouraged by some of your comments, your overall view of our hotel was disappointing to me.

We are undergoing various stages of renovation, both in the rooms, and infrastructure to upgrade our product. Your comments have been shared with the staff in order to better communicate what we are doing. Your thoughts are important, as guest perception is very important to us.

I hope we have the chance to have you back as our guests when our work is complete.

Thank you again for sharing your insights.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

if you are looking for a resort property, this is not for you. If you are looking for a room with a bed and bathroom and great service, this hotel is for you. I normally stay in Tempe, but with Spring Training going on, I refused to pay $359 to stay at the hotel I usually stay in.

The room was spacious and very comfortable. The service I received at 10:50pm at Azul on 3/12 was outstanding. I was served a vodka and tonic in a pint glass. How wouldn't like that :)

I would stay here again when my Tempe hotel is over priced. The complimentary breakfast was not the greatest, but you cannot be picky when something is free. The fruit was very fresh and ripe.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PhoenixMarriottmesa, General Manager at Phoenix Marriott Mesa, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Sometimes, timing is everything. I appreciate your comments on the service, sleep quality, rooms, service, and cleanliness that you received.

You mentioned that you usually stay in another part of town. Please keep in mind that in 2015, the light rail will connect Mesa to Tempe, Phoenix, and Sky Harbor airport. With the experience that you had, and what is coming to Mesa, you may just be a few steps away from a hidden treasure that you just discovered.

Thanks again. We look forward to moving from being your second hotel of choice, to your first.