“Nice but Understaffed”

Phoenix Marriott Mesa
Ranked #21 of 57 Hotels in Mesa
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I recently stayed here for a conference and have to say that as far as meeting accommodations, it was ideal. The few times we dined in the restaurant, food was delicious. Everyone was very friendly; however, they seemed to be terribly understaffed especially knowing that a conference was being held. There was no shuttle available, unless room service was slow. This was especially problematic as the hotel is not within walking distance to any shopping or other attractions.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
PhoenixMarriottmesa, General Manager at Phoenix Marriott Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Thank you for your feedback concerning your stay with us. We really appreciate the kind words that you had to say about our restaurant and the meeting facilities that we have.

We are tucked into an area that is 3 blocks away from downtown Mesa. Our Mesa Arts Center is one of the best in the valley, and our museum offering--all within walking distance--are fabulous as well. The Mesa area, and the East Valley has much to offer. We hope that you have the chance to return and explore all that Mesa has to offer.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Friendly staff, nice quiet accomodations. Problem is there are very little dining and no shopping opportunities nearby. The property has a nice set of meeting rooms in a separate building. Good spot to hold meetings, but other than that a decent hotel set far away from everything.

Room Tip: End of halls away from elevators
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

We appreciate your feedback on your stay with us at the Phoenix Marriott Mesa.

We are located 3 blocks away from the downtown Mesa area. I'm sorry that you did not have the chance to explore our historic downtown area. Much work is happening downtown to extend the light rail into our area. There will be stops available within walking distance from us by 2015. This will provide access into Tempe, Phoenix, and Sky Harbor Airport.

I hope that you have the chance to visit us again, and get to experience all that Mesa and the East Valley has to offer.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I stayed here for a conference and the hotel was average but a little pricey. When I checked in, I had asked for a king room which they could only give me on the first floor near the fitness center. I wanted a high floor and could only get a double room. I went up to the room and it was hot and the thermostat said 62. I went back down and miraculously they gave me a room on the 5th floor with a king bed.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Doglover3336

Thank you for your comments concerning your stay with us here in Mesa.

I apologize for the time it took to find you the right room accommodation. Our staff goes through an extensive pre-arrival process to ensure that we can meet the arrival expectations of each guest. I have shared your comments with the team.

I hope that we have an opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Clean comfortable room. Not near anything. Can't walk to town areas. Needs back yard -courtyard landscaping, one elevator didn't work, two fountains not working. No wow factor. Won't stay there again. Fine if there for conference only.

• Stayed: April 2014
PhoenixMarriottmesa, General Manager at Phoenix Marriott Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel. While you did mention the clean, comfortable room, you also mentioned a few things that fell short of your expectation.

We are located three blocks north of downtown Mesa. The light rail construction that is taking place will link us next year to Tempe, Phoenix, and Sky Harbor Airport. Historic downtown Mesa will be revitalized with this work.

We hope to see you back as our guest soon, and have you experience all that downtown Mesa has to offer.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

We stayed here as a part of a travel package deal. The hotel is very clean and updated with all the amenities including a well laid out pool, jacuzzi, and fire pit area. The room (202)) adjoined a sun deck that overlooked the pool area and was very convenient. The surrounding area is somewhat depressed though appears to be growing with in the introduction this year of the Chicago Cubs spring training campus. Overall, not bad.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
PhoenixMarriottmesa, General Manager at Phoenix Marriott Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Thank you for your comments concerning your stay with us at the Phoenix Marriott Mesa.

We are very proud of our hotel, and staff. Your comments have been shared with them. Our area of Mesa is quickly transforming. The addition of the new Cubs facility has been a plus. Next year, we will have the Oakland A's just a few blocks away at Hohokam field for spring training. Having two major league teams in Mesa will be a fantastic for all of our spring visitors. Additionally, the light rail will be expanding into downtown Mesa in 2015. Transportation will be available to our guest just three blocks away.. This will allow easy travel into Tempe, Phoenix, and the airport. This work will also coincide with the rebirth of Historic Downtown Mesa.

Our area is a diamond in the rough, but will quickly be known as a terrific area to spend time in the East Valley. We hope you have the chance to come back, stay with us, and experience all that downtown Mesa will have to offer.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

I am a Marriott Platinum member so I do know a little something about Marriott properties.
When I checked in they had no rooms on the concierge level. As a valued Marriott customer, they put me on the first floor next to an exit door that is broken and doesn't lock (and it should). The door slams shut every time.
I asked to be changed to the concierge level the next day but was given the run around. I was even considering paying more because "people who pay for that level get priority", but they wouldn't give me a price I would have to pay.
The gyms air conditioner doesn't work. It's 80 degrees (I checked). The concierge printer is out of service...so I had to use the computer in the lobby level. The staff didn't know the password....finally one did. Management is not present as far as I have seen. The restaurant staff on the first night was talking smack about the patrons not sitting at the bar.

I will end on one good note..the staff in the concierge lounge was very nice and professional

Stayed: March 2014
PhoenixMarriottmesa, General Manager at Phoenix Marriott Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

I apologize for the issues that you faced while you were here. We discussed these yesterday in the lobby. Our concierge floor was completely full due to a full house, but we should have found a way to get you away from the room that you were in. I have addressed the restaurant staff regarding the comments you made, but without specifics from you, we a were not able to pinpoint the exact night--we did have a broader discussion around proper behavior by the staff. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

We are aware of the fitness room temperature, and are addressing it. Our hotel is undergoing several renovation projects, and while we can't address them all at once, we are making the effort to impact the larger areas.

We appreciate your loyalty to Marriott, and the fact that you are a Platinum member with us.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Visit here was for a corporate outing and was very disappointed in the hotel. It's just worn and old. The rooms are okay, clean and functional but the again, just old and worn.

The pool is not Marriott or Phoenix quality.
The outside sitting areas are decent but don't have the Marriott feel that you have come to expect from their properties.

Though there was no big individual discrepancy that stood out, as a whole the hotel just doesn't meet the Marriott brand quality. Many of my co-workers felt the same way.

As a side note, the staff was excellent and the conference facilities very good.

This is just one of those older hotel properties that one day you drive past and it goes from a Marriott/Hilton to a Radisson/Doubletree.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
PhoenixMarriottmesa, General Manager at Phoenix Marriott Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Thank you fro taking the time to share your opinion of your stay with us at the Phoenix Marriott Mesa. While I was encouraged by some of your comments, your overall view of our hotel was disappointing to me.

We are undergoing various stages of renovation, both in the rooms, and infrastructure to upgrade our product. Your comments have been shared with the staff in order to better communicate what we are doing. Your thoughts are important, as guest perception is very important to us.

I hope we have the chance to have you back as our guests when our work is complete.

Thank you again for sharing your insights.