“I loved it! Fantastic service and a very nice room!”
Review of Casa Patagonica

and 1 more site!
Casa Patagonica
Ranked #7 of 28 Puerto Madryn B&B and Inns
Leeds
“I loved it! Fantastic service and a very nice room!”
Reviewed 24 June 2011

I have stayed at quite a few B&Bs/posadas in Argentina recently and Casa Patagonica in Puerto Madryn (www.casa-patagonica.com.ar) is definitely in my top two (the other being a place in Buenos Aires). This is mainly because of two things - the excellent quality of the accommodation and the fantastic service from the owners, particularly from Eugenia (service which was extremely helpful, but not too 'in-your-face´'...a difficult balancing act for any B&B-owner to pull off, but they do it perfectly here).

Eugenia went out of her way to help me plan my time in Puerto Madryn...she booked various tours for me, helped me find out when various things were open, etc. Nothing was too much trouble.

You share a lovely lounge/dining room and kitchen with the other guests, but when I was there this week I was lucky enough to have this area all to my self, which felt incredibly luxurious! This space is provided just for the guests (the owners live in a separate building), which is an arrangement I like, as it means you can watch the television and make some dinner or a cup of tea without feeling as though you are in any way intruding. However, all the while, the owners are just a one-minute walk away if you need them.

The room I stayed in (the double with en-suite) is lovely and the bed is very comfortable...a little traffic noise, but then that would be true of all of the well-situated B&Bs and hotels in Puerto Madryn. If you are looking for somewhere to base yourself for a visit to this amazing part of Patagonia, look no further! The bigger hotels in Puerto Madryn are quite a bit more expensive...so I was very pleased with my choice.

Breaskfast-wise, it´s solid, but not mindblowing. It's toast, a different (and often delicious) cake/pastry each day and plenty of good quality coffee and tea. As the breakfast varies a little each morning, if there is something you want to guarantee getting every morning (like dulce de leche or jam) I would ask the owners...I am sure they would oblige. Plus you have a fridge-freezer for your use if you want to buy anything additional from the nearby shops. I loved the fact that the timing of breakfast was very flexible, to work around my plans, which meant the coffee was always fresh.

Location-wise, I tended to walk into the city centre (it's about a 3 minute walk to the beach, and about a 20-minute walk to the city centre), but taxis are easy and quick to order.

Incidentally, I also strongly recommend the tours that Eugenia can book for you too, especially the snorkelling with seals (through www.madrynbuceo.com) and the trips to Doradillo and the pensinsula (through www.foresterotour.com.ar). If you need an English-speaking guide, however, do mention this to Eugenia. I was more than happy with a Spanish-speaking guide...so, as a result, Ricardo was perfect! But I could imagine that it might be a little tricky to access his vast and very interesting knowledge of the killer whales, seals, sea-lions, etc. if you do not have some Spanish. In the end, I went on three tours with Ricardo, so I was obviously happy.

Overall, I loved Casa Patagonica! I would say that this part of Argentina is an essential place to visit if you are heading to Argentina (although first do check the timetables for the different wildlife if you particularly want to see something). I have seen most of Argentina now and this coastal part of Patagonia ranks up there with Iguazú Falls as an unmissable stop. And, when you do visit Puerto Madryn, I doubt you'll find anywhere better to stay than Casa Patagonica. I have a feeling it won't be long before I head back there myself!

Room Tip: The deals on rooms with shared bath are great!!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank fester_mower

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Reviewed 16 March 2011

My husband and I stayed at this lovely B&B in late February and we couldn't have found a better place in Puerto Madryn. The hosts truly went out of their way to make us feel good and help us with local info and arrangements. In addition to a very comfortable bed, super spacious bathroom and a nice home, we received tons of great tips.

The location is great too. In a nice and quiet residential area, yet close enough to the malecon and center of town. A cab fare from the train station is less than 3 USD!

We used Puerto Madryn and Casa Patagonica as a starting point for Peninsula Valdes and it worked great. Maria Eugenia and Francisco even let us leave our luggage with them, while we were on Peninsula Valdes for a few days.

We feel it was the best value ever! Overall just a perfect place to stay. Highly recommended.

Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2011

This is a new place set up only in October and is used mainly by Argentinians. It feels more like a home (in a nice way) than a b and b, definitely not a hostel. You can use the fridge, there is a nice living area with tv, and the shared bathroom is cleaner than mine at home. Breakfast was included in the very reasonable rate, and they were even kind enough to buy some Gluten free biscuits and fruit for me (as I am Celiac and could not eat the bread and cake). The location is a bit out of town but still walkable and only 5 mins from the beach front. The bed was soooo comfortable. Our only complaint was that our room was very hot and we did not have any kind of fan = however it was unusually hot when we were there. I would recommend this place to anyone seeking a relaxing time away from the hustle and bustle.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple