“Perfect for a honey moon”

Hosteria Patagonia Paraiso
Ranked #34 of 48 Hotels in Villa La Angostura
Campinas
“Perfect for a honey moon”
Reviewed 13 July 2010

Villa a angostuta is a fantastic destination. And hosteria patagonia pataiso just fits for this paradise. Clever rooms, nice food, friendly owners, unforgettable place and view. During the winter, certanly the perfect honey moon.

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 10 January 2010

My wife and I spent 4 nights at the Patagonia Paraiso Hotel on a "New Year" getaway. We decided to do this on the spur of the moment, with no advance planning--just two days before in the late evening. So at about 9 PM I started calling different hotels in the Villa La Angostura area--a few were fully booked for the new year weekend, others had their reservation office closed for the day. An hour or so later, I was ready to give-up when I finally reached the Patagonia Paraiso. The person on the other end of the line identified himself as the owner, informed me that he had one room left and offered to confirm my reservation inmediately, which I did Without thinking twice. First point in favor of the Patagonia Paraiso: quick reservation process, even at 10 PM! (As it turned-out the owner, Manuel, is on call just about any hour of the day or night.)

This hotel is located in PUerto Manzano, a peninsula about 7 kilometers from downtown Villa La Angostura. It is right beside the lake in the midst of a pine forest and all the rooms have a beautiful view. (See photos) The hotel is very well equipped considering its size: full service restaurant serving all three meals and snacks in between, spa with sauna, massage and heated swimming pool, home theatre with a 50-inch plasma screen and a collection of over 200 movies.

We stayed in a room that was designated a "junior suite", although I would consider it to be a normal hotel room. It had a very good queen bed made up with crisp, white bed linen, satelite TV, DVD player, jacuzzi, electronic safe for valuables, and a terrace with chairs from which one could admire the breathtaking view. The room and bathroom (as well as all the interior of the property) were spotlessly clean and in very good condition. There were nice touches such as bathrobes and slippers for the trip to and from the spa and a very complete set of toiletries that were replenished daily. During one cold, rainy day we turned-on the heating, which warmed the room to a comfortable temperature very quickly. The only problem we had was with a leaking shower door, which Manuel took care of right away.

I should point-out that the hotel has a room specially designed for persons who use a wheelchair. Its bathroom is correspondingly equipped. The main lobby and the room are connected by a ramp.

We tried-out the sauna and the heated pool. The sauna was so clean, I actually felt as though I was the first person to have ever used it! My wife and I found the heated pool was a bit too warm for our taste--probably because we both needed to cool down after a sauna (in my case) and suntanning (in her case). I could imagine the pool temperature being ideal for winter use, but for summer I think maybe 5 degrees less would be better.

The room rate included a cold buffet breakfast with a selection of cheese, coldcuts, home-baked pastries including the famous Argentine "media luna" (crescents) and "alfajores" (two butter cookies sandwiched around a layer of rich "dulce de leche" and grated coconut around the outer perimeter). I was great to wake up with freshly-squeezed orange juice and good, fresh coffee from an expreso machine. All the breakfast items were constantly replenished up until the very end of the breakfast service at 10:30 AM.

Although Villa La Angostura is famous for its great restaurants, we did have a light lunch in the restaurant. Manuel's wife attended to us personally. Needless to say, the service was very good and the food, although simple, was of excellent quality.

To sum-up, I highly recommend this hotel in every respect. My wife and I felt like guests in a home, with Manuel and his wife as our hosts. It was a great experience and we plan to return later this year with my parents-in-law.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ArneH
Austin, TX
Reviewed 5 November 2008

The owners are in over their head here. And they gouge their customers. I had to pay half of the bill just to reserve a room. When I arrived I had to pay the other half before even seeing the room or staying there! The room itself was relatively well-appointed. The electric power to the area cut off during a snowstorm. This place was the only one without a generator. All the other lodges and hosterias were running on reserve power while we froze. And we still paiid for all the nights there. We had to ask for candles so we could see. At least they comped our food. That was the only good thing there - the person cooking the food did a good job. Also, the conversion rate they used on our card gave them additional money. And they smoke cigarettes indoors in the common areas. All in all, for the large amount of money we paid to stay there, this place is horrible.

• Stayed August 2008
4 Thank asclepius76
patagoniaparaiso, propietario at Hosteria Patagonia Paraiso, responded to this review, 11 December 2009
Whether we don’t agree with some of the statements made on this criticism, we recognize that is real and sincere, and so we accept it. However, we can say that the generator is operational and running since mid-December 2008. We understand that the guest has made a mistake in calculating the exchange rate, since we have assumed that it belonged according to the dollar from the date of payment. It is customary in Argentina to charge at booking moment at least 50% of total accommodation value, and is specified in the cancellation policies when making your reservation and purchase the service.
BAHIA
Reviewed 3 August 2008

Beware of Hosteria Patagonia Paraiso in Villa Angostura. After reserving and paying in advance for 4 full nights, my family and I (3 adults) stayed at this Hosteria last July 2008. After an uneventful stay, on the day before we were to leave I had an accident while sitting on a wooden chair in the room. Fortunately I was not hurt but the chair had a broken leg.
When I informed the owners (Manuel and Ana) about the accident I was surprised to hear that the chair was part of an “exclusive set of an ancient pair of chairs and round table” which cost a total of US $2,500.00. My wife, who is a Professor of Law at a Brazilian University, uselessly tried to argue based on the principles of Law. An insurance agent called by the owners tried to help but left when I first offered US$100.00 to get rid of the trouble. They threatened to call the police if we did not pay and had the doors closed under the watchful eyes of a security guard. We could not leave until we paid US$ 200.00 (the least they accepted for the repair which they had initially established as US$ 400.00). Beware of Hosteria Patagonia Paraiso, it may become hell.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Owners
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
7 Thank RICBahia
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 24 March 2007

My husband and I are Argentine residents so the rates that applied to us may not be available to foreigners. We also traveled in March, which is medium to low season. However, it is an excellent season to travel, as the weather is fine (end of summer), the prices are low and the places are not packed with children and teen-agers (school time has started). At the Patagonia Paraiso, we paid 80 US dollars per night for a double room (called Junior Suite, but just an average room) with whirlpool bath and view to the lake, even from the whirlpool.
Patagonia Paraiso is situated on a peninsula, on the coast of the bay, overlooking the mainland. This peninsula and bay (Bahía Manzano and Puerto Manzano peninsula) are 7 km from Villa La Angostura, the village on the northern shore of the Nahuel Huapi Lake. Famous Bariloche lies on the southern shore of this huge lake. In fact, travelers have to fly to Bariloche airport first, when coming to Villa La Angostura. The best deal is to rent a car and drive the 80 km or so round the lake. But an alternative is to take a bus from the bus terminal ($12 or 4 US dollars), which will drop you in Villa La Angostura after a 1 1/2 hour journey. From there, you can take another bus to the beginning of the Puerto Manzano peninsula ($1 or 0.33 US dollars, running one per hour), or a taxi ($15 or 5 US dollars). There are several trekking circuits up the mountains and to waterfalls, plus bus and boat tours in the area, and in winter there is a skiing resort about 2 miles from Bahía Manzano.
Now that you know where the place is and what you can do, let's concentrate on the hotel itself. It is advertised as a 4-star hotel. True in some aspects: only 12 rooms ensure that you are very well taken care of, and all of them have gorgeous views to the lake (see photos). Fittings in the room are top quality, as are mattress, linen, whirlpool tub in bathroom, electronic safe in the closet, complimentary terry cloth bathrobes. Beautiful common areas, including a TV room with a 54" plasma screen and comfortable sofas, free Internet access in the TV room, available 24 hours a day, breakfast terrace with open view. The newly opened heated swimming pool is small, but since there are few guests, it turns into an almost private swimming pool. You can walk along the coast from the inlet where the hotel is situated right to the beginning of Bahía Manzano, where you will find the harbor for private boats and a couple of restaurants (about 300 yards). Or you can just sit and read on the terrace or under the tall coihue trees, or next to the local arrayanes bushes (reddish bark, part of a National Park attraction), or lie on the volcanic sand beach and bird watch. We had lunch there and found the food adequate.
On the other hand, it is also true that the hotel's maintenance is lacking a bit, since there were areas of the room that needed repainting (and working on the plumbing, since apparently there were leaks into the room from the bathroom), and I would guess that, since the hotel is only one year old, the problem is that the quality of construction is not up to standard in these far away places . The rooms are small in size, but the closet space is adequate and so is the bathroom, with a separate sink area. The wall separating the whirlpool tub from the bedroom included a huge ceiling-to-tub glass pane, through which you could see right up to the lake. It did have a curtain, though, which could be pulled down when needed, for privacy.
Breakfast buffet was adequate. European travelers might miss the hot food (eggs, for example), but there was a wide assortment of pastries, fresh fruit salad, cereals and yoghurt, as well as ham and cheese.
So I would rate it as a three-star plus hotel. The plus also has to do with the fact that the owners, Manuel and Ana are always there to help you with whatever you need.

• Liked — Service and views
  • Disliked — Size of bedroom, need to repaint and plaster walls in some places.
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Argentine-tourist
British Columbia
Reviewed 5 March 2007

We have just stayed 5 nights at this small hosteria in Puerto Manzano, not far from Villa la Angostura. The location is excellent with a number of good restaurants nearby - the best of which is Puerto Tomato where we had a couple of great lunches. ( try the homemade pasta ! ) As to the Patagonia Paraiso I must say we were disappointed. The rooms, though well decorated, were quite small. They had lovely bedding. After our 3rd night the owner asked us to relocate to a different room as they had a family group arriving. We were not pleased and thought the owner should have put us originally in a room where we could stay for our whole visit. This hosteria could be much better than it is if more attention would be paid to details. Although only a year old, the building needs repairs and they are not being done. The second room we stayed in badly needed painting. One of the stairs in the lobby was missing part of the tread. When we arrived the patio surrounding the pool was covered in dirt and the pool was full of leaves. The room price was reasonable so it's good value. Just that it could be so much better.

Stayed February 2007