“Michelin star quality food at local Parilla prices”
Review of Almazen de Sabores

Almazen de Sabores
Cuisines: Fusion
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Almazen de Sabores is a warm restaurant where attended by its owners served with love creative dishes gourmet cuisine with a capacity for 20 people is an ideal place to have a nice quiet dinner
Reviewed 5 April 2012

My fiance and I visited Almazen de Sabores last night having checked trip advisor for recommendations.

I can unequivocally state this is the best food I have tasted in South America, perhaps even the best meal I have ever had, and undoubtedly the best value. My fiance and I opted for the 6 course tasting menu (priced at incredibly reasonable 120 pesos per person), a bottle of malbec (again incredible value at 70 pesos) and water and coffee, with the total bill coming in at around 340 pesos.

Admittedly finding the restaurant is not for the feint hearted, given its location in a small residential quarter in the town of Dina Huapi, but those willing to take on the adventure of locating the restaurant are rewarded with a seemingly never ending (in a good way) feast of culinary excellence. Every dish put before us was incredibly well presented, inventive in its flavour and perfectly balanced. Needless to say not a scrap of food was left on either of our plates.

The chef catered for our personal tastes, preparing a bespoke tasting menu for myself and my fiance (after we mentioned that I was not a huge fan of seafood, but my fiance was keen to have seafood).

Good English is spoken and the service was excellent, warm, attentive and fun. The proprietors have a real love for what they do and it shines through in this dining experience.

I really can´t recommend this place highly enough.

One tip for those trying to find the restaurant, google maps displays the name of the road as "chilco", whereas we were informed by our hotel that the real name is "las chilcas". The restaurant is on the intersection of Chilco/Las Chilcas and Los Radales. If taking a taxi from bariloche the driver will head north on the coast road and should turn left onto Los Abedules, then right onto Los Radales. The restaurant is 3 short blocks away and has a large sign outside displaying the name of the restaurant. I would recommend booking ahead as it would seem the restaurant only seats around 20-25 people in total.

4  Thank Matthew F

Reviewed 11 March 2012

While staying in Bariloche, Argentina we checked Trip Advisor and found this cozy, delightful local restaurant. It is run by a husband and wife team who have made part of their house into a tiny restaurant.

We chose the chef's six course dinner so that we could have a chance to sample as many tastes as possible. The food was truly excellent and cooked to order, taking our wishes into consideration along with what was fresh and on hand for the day. There were different dishes for each of us since our food tastes are not the same for some things. Since my husband is a seafood lover, he had three seafood dishes. I had one of these and two vegetarian courses to suit my requests.

The chef is formally trained with extensive experience in Buenos Aires and Spain. His food shows the years of work he has done. There are creativity, good presentation and interesting combinations here. What a pleasure.

It is worthwhile to call ahead for reservations and to get directions to the restaurant which is in a small neighborhood off the main highway into the town of Dina Huapi as it could be hard to find otherwise.

We found

2  Thank rita and bob s
Reviewed 6 March 2012

The place is hard to find, in a residential quartier. on GoogleMaps check for the Los Radales/Quintral crossway, or just ask the locals.
Once you get there it's another world, it looks pretty much like a Restaurant in Paris: family business, tiny (reservation is recomended, they can also help you to find the place), nice atmosphere... The portions are not "argentinian" ones, but we didn't left hungry. Everything is prepared with care and well presented, while waiting for the main dishes we also got different little snacks. A good way to take a break from the parrilla.

1  Thank hyksos
Reviewed 29 January 2012

After reading the raving reviews on TripAdvisor, we decided to go here for a change. We were arriving from Villa la Angostura and it´s on the way to Bariloche so that helped as well. You do have to know the exact address, it can be a bit hard to find. That´s a big plus as well, you won´t find the tipical tourists hanging out here. But if you´re staying in Bariloche, keep in mind that it is located in the neighbooring Dina Huapi, about 15 km out of town.

The service was perfect, very professional but with a kind personal touch. The food, simply amazing. I can honestly say that you can compare it to any Michelin-star restaurant in Europe! The price though is VERY reasonable, that was to my biggest surprise. I was sure the prices I saw on TripAdvisor had to be in Dollars, but it´s really in Argentine Pesos, so they will score an 11 on a scale from 1 to 10 on pricing!

All in all a perfect find, we surely will go here again and recommend it to every one who wants to have a nice dinner in a special (little) place, off the beaten path. Don´t expect the typical Argentinian food, but that is a big plus in my opinion to have a healthy change in your diet every now and then (and trust me, I´m a big fan of Argentinian cuisine).

2  Thank Tipica_Travel
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We found this jewel almost by chance, it was recommended by a local; and indeed most of the guests are locals (We love that! So we ended up coming here 3 nights in a row :P).
The food is simply wonderfull! It has influences of spanish, french and local cuisine. We asked them to surprise us and they kept on bringing small dishes, one after the other! (We recommend doing that, the seem to love showing off their best stuf!).
The atmosphere is really cozy, we didn't want to leave!
As a side note, our server turned out to be also the owner of the place and married with the chef! They both run the place by themselves which makes things an even cooler experience!

2  Thank Andrew_Z83