“1/2 day cycle with great stop-offs”
Review of Circuito Chico

US$335.00*
Full-Day Tour of Nahuel Huapi Lake and Small Circuit
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“1/2 day cycle with great stop-offs”
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

We got the number 20 (can also get 22) bus for 7 pesos each (buy ticket from kiosk opposite) from Bariloche centre on the San Martin road to KM18, 100m past a small roundabout is Cordillera bikes where we rented bikes for the day for 150 pesos. The route (25km of cycling) is really obvious and on tarmac. We locked our bikes and walked along Sendero Arrayanes, then a bit later turn right on a gravel road to Villa Tacul for a 30 min walk up a hill for amazing views. The next stop was for the Gilbert cerveceria just before the main mirador on the circuit. All in all it took less than 6 hours. Plenty of buses back too. Definitely recommended!

Visited March 2014
2 Thank SafLondoner

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Cancun, Mexico
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“A great way to have a glance”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I recommend you do a tour on the first days of your stay and then rent a car to see or stay longer the points you find most interesting, its a great tour and not to long!

Visited February 2014
Melbourne, Australia
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Stunning and do-able for people of most abilities...”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

First things first, the scenery is absolutely stunning and frankly, my words will simply not do it justice so I wont ramble on about the crystal clear blue lakes in the alpine setting. What I will do however, is give you a low down on the tour so you can get a better idea of what to expect...so:

- Number 20 bus from Moreno heading west (I caught it by the green diagonally across the road from the petrol garage on Moreno where you turn off to go to Juramento) , costs 5.15 pesos each way. Ask the driver to drop you off where you can hire the bikes (just saying bicis should do the trick).

- The guys at the Circuito Chico were pretty professional and got us going quickly and efficiently, with a good run through of the circuit and additional information. The cost at the moment is 120 pesos (which may change due to the rather substantial inflation problem)...pretty cheap if you have dollars to exchange, I got 11 to the US Dollar with a couple 100 dollar bills in my hostel (41 Below).

- For regular cyclists, I would be surprised if this circuit taxes you remotely so just sit back and enjoy the scenery.

- For people that are in decent shape but don't really cycle, again, it shouldn't be too taxing other than the annoying sore backside which is unavoidable. My legs burnt a little on some of the hills but I made it up all of them without getting off the bike (I hadn't ridden a bike in three years until last week in Puerto Varas). Just be careful on the gravel parts (Colonia Suiza and Villa Tacul) as there are a few bumps that can be a little surprising if you rarely ride a bike.

- For everyone else, I actually think it should still be do-able for most people with few problems. There are about five extended hills that may cause problems but I was really surprised at how short the circuit actually is, which means that you can happily coast the downhill sections and then walk the uphill sections. It does not really get seriously steep anywhere along the circuit. I didn't do the Villa Tacul section so I can not comment on that but the Colonia Suiza section may be worth skipping for people that are concerned about making it round since that's quite a lengthy detour down and up again, and the town is tiny and not really that scenic if I am being honest (nice spot for some food though). If you've made it to the Colonia turn off with no problems, you should be fine though.

- You encounter a lot more traffic on the final 7km but I didn't find it uncomfortable or dangerous. If you do feel uncomfortable however, or you've simply had enough, you can drop the bike off around the Llao Llao hotel area and take the bus, I believe you have to pay a little extra for this. That last section doesn't really have too much more to look at so you will only be missing a little extra exercise if you decide to skip it.

And that's about it, so as always, if you have any specific questions or I have missed anything glaringly obvious, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Visited January 2014
5 Thank randallml
Houston, Texas
341 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 240 helpful votes
“over rated”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

yes. The circuit is beautiful but there are easier ways to enjoy the scenery than puffing up and down 35km on a bike. We saw several out of breath and miserable looking bikers. Those that were whizzing by were also not enjoying the scenery. We took the bus, enjoyed the passing scenery through the windows, got down near the end, walked around a bit and decided we had had enough.

Visited December 2013
San Francisco, California
“Amazing Views - Rent a Car!”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

The views on this circuit are amazing, but most of the time on a bike you are on a normal road with no views. I would have much rather rented a car and done this which would have saved a ton of time and would have also allowed me to drive to a lot of other places around Bariloche in the same day. You could honestly rent a car for one day, do the circuit, and then drive to San Martin and back. That's what I would do if I could do it again.

Visited November 2013