“Delicious Food- Beware of Overcooking”
Review of Alto el Fuego

Alto el Fuego
Cuisines: Argentinian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Abierto de lunes a sabado de 12 a 15 y de 20 a 24. Domingo cerrado
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My husband and I both got the ribeye and the meat was indeed delicious. There is no question that it is one of the best restaurants you will find in Bariloche. That said, aware that Argentinians tend to overcook their meat, my husband and I ordered our steaks rare. Nevertheless, they came back medium at best. That ruined a beautiful piece of meat in my opinion, so the steaks were not nearly as good as they should have been. But, this is not specific to Alto El Fuego, unfortunately it is something that occurs throughout Argentina, so be aware of that, and if you don't want your steak medium or medium well, order it muy jugoso (rare) or jugoso (medium rare).
We also had the mashed potato side which was unbelievably creamy and delicious. The meal, like most meals in Argentina, comes with chimichurri sauce. Of all the chimichurris we had in Argentina, which was probably around 20, this is by far the best one!
The waitress spoke English which was great, and the service was rather prompt, unlike most restaurants in Argentina. Overall great experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,681)

Reviewed 19 November 2013

From the outside this restaurant doesn't look like one of the most amazing restaurants in Bariloche, but is really is. We had the lamb and steak at this cozy little restaurant, and were not disappointed. The portions are big, and we could probably have shared my portion of lamb, but it was all really tasty, even the next day. They have a good selection of meat and wine, with a very romantic and cozy atmosphere. The waiters speak good english which was very helpful. Best Chimichurri I have ever tasted!!! Worth it!

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Opens a bit late for American tastes but we waited til 8. Worth it. the lamb was plentiful, tender, and rather mild compared to what we get at home. My friend did steak and thoroughly enjoyed it. Service was attentive but understated. Lovely meal in a pleasant setting.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Lovely little restaurant nestled away from the main centre but in a lovely little setting. I was recommended this place at the hostel I was staying at and it did not disappoint. Definitely one of the best steaks I had during my travels in Argentina, excellent wine and super cheap price comparatively. Highly recommend it.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Our last night in Bariloche, recommended by our hostel Periko's.
Missed it at first but found within 5 minutes, pouring raing when we arrived. Nearly empty at 8pm, they do dine late in ARG !
Ordered a skirt steak to share, med rare, they brought bread and chimy chura with it, wonderbar, ordered a rum to start, tasted it first before pouring in the usual coke and said wow no coke needed here. Very friendly attentive service , the chef took our meat order and spoke good English, he is a tall good looking man with a great sense of humor, we were not sure on ordering the skirt steak and he assured us it was a good choice, had great home made fries and a delightful full salad, meal was outstanding, sharing one steak was plenty for 2 and made the cost of the meal very affordable. Had Las Perdices Malbec for 90 pesos, turned out to be the best red of our trip up to that time, super fruit forward wine that would compare to wines double or triple the price, 2010 was the vintage we had
Left feeling like we were lucky to have dined here ! Chef checked on us after the meat was served to make sure we were happy. It was perfect !
It was a bit of a cool evening, they had a nice stove with a wood fire which made for a romantic setting, 30 minutes after arrival the place as full of smiling customers.
Great staff, a very very good place for a reasonable price, Adios !