“Cheerful, convenient, comfortable”

Design Suites Bariloche
Tiburon, CA
“Cheerful, convenient, comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2008

This modern, artistically designed property has bright rooms with lake and mountain views. Their three guest buildings march up a steep hillside (and we puffed up it ourselves to the top one) with a fourth under construction right next to ours. Noise was not an issue, though - at least not from construction, though occasionally we could hear the roar of the jacuzzi in the corner room above ours.

But then we had our own jacuzzi, and It's a nice luxury, probably even more so in ski season. Its location in the corner buys view at the expense of a bit of privacy, so one might want to be careful and use the large, fluffy bathrobes provided.

The staff was friendly and helpful, all with some English and most pretty good at it. The dining room is conveniently open all day, which was helpful since we were just acclimating to South American dining times. The menu is inventive although not extensive.

The location is a fairly long hike into town, so we used taxis and remises, which were readily available and reasonably priced at ten to twelve pesos. We felt the town was readily accessible.

Our only disappointment was the breakfast schedule, inexplicably just too late to eat and still make our sailing on the lake crossing to Chile. We don't understand why they can't accommodate what must be a good number of guests who take this route. So we left on a poor note.

• Liked — Jacuzzi with a view; quiet setting
  • Disliked — Couldn't get a slightly early breakfast
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Hebrew first
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2008

When I checked into my room I wanted to relax and rest from my long flight. This was not to be the case, the hotel has just started major construction and from my room all you can hear and feel is the buzzing of saws, pounding of hammers and the construction crew yelling back and forth at each other. I called down to the front desk to ask for a couple of better options. The clerk said I could either move down to the first building to a room on the first floor with no view or upgrade to a suite for $20/night. I asked if I could hold the reservation to give me an oppurtunity to find another hotel (it was only 2:30 in the afternoon). He said if I canceled reservation, I would be charged for one night. I told him this was unfair since there was no mention of construction when I made the reservation. I asked if the could send the hotel manager up so he could hear how noisy it was. He said no but I could come down to the front desk and talk to him myself. This is the worst customer service experience I have ever had. How could they expect any guest to be satisfied with a room with major construction only twenty feet away? I ended up taking a room without a view on the ground floor to get away from the noise but construction is all around the property, it´s horrible! Nobody should have to be tricked into staying at a hotel without being warned of their current conditions. I´ll post pictures when I return, so you can see all the construction and disruption. Although construction may be done when you stay here, you should know the service by the front desk staff and manager is not likely to be any better, stay away!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — customer service and construction noise
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank octravler
San Juan, Puerto Rico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2008

The place is very impersonal to begin with. Rooms are separated from the main building where administration/lounge/dining/gym area is so u have to walk outside, in cold, for 5 min at least if u want to have accomplish anything. Hotel stuff was very impersonal. Rooms are modern BUT the sheets are CHEAP, no cover on the mattress, only one pillow case on the pillows – the bed cover and all of the furniture is VERY CHEAP and old. No comforter so we had to use old, nasty overused and over washed blankets. On our check-out we had to wait for hotel stuff to go and check out if we didn’t take any 2 pesos snacks that they had distastefully displayed in the middle of the suite. It was pathetic.
Definitely will never come back and wouldn’t recommend it to anybody.

Stayed September 2008
3 Thank SANDRANYC26
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2008

I stayed at this excellent hotel in April 2008. I had a junior suite with the most imposing view you can dream of over the Nahuel Huapi Lake. The room is very spacious. Wi-fi internet is free of charge, plenty of cable channels. Very good bed. Excellent Jacuzzi in your own room overlooking the great vista. Toilette was excellent. I have no complaints about any aspect of the hotel (the lift didn't work for a few hours, but that can happen anywhere).

The breakfast is excellent. Exquisite. The restaurant is also excellent and the prices very accessible given Argentina's backwards economy and devalued currency. Apart from the prices the food was great. You'd be paying four times in Europe, Australia or the US for that quality.

It is advisable to hire a car in Bariloche and to go around. Car hires are quite inexpensive.

Overall, this was an excellent experience.

• Stayed April 2008
Granada Hills, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2008

Excellent location perched above a small hill offering great views of the lake. I was upgraded from a junior suite to a full suite with jacuzzi. Room is sleek and modern with blond wood and heaterd floors in the modern bathroom. Two minor complaints and a major one: they could use a t.v. larger than the 13" I had in my $300+ room and the food was very overpriced for what you get-albeit it tasted good. But my bigger concern was the staff as noted in other reviews on this forum. Day, front desk staff was very stuck up (same girl for the 3 nights I stayed there). For God's sake you have chosen a career in the hospitality industry catering to tourists-would it hurt to smile a little? I don't think that is asking for too much is it? Night staff was more friendly (again same girl for the night staff) but with only one person working there, checking in an influx of guests arriving from the same daily flight, I waited almost 20 minutes just to check in. Also, don't waste your time with the so called "on-site" travel agent. I inquired on an English language small circuit tour and was quoted by the agent $500 for a three hour tour. The night clerk was helpful in that she called around a few other tour companies and got me booked for the same tour for only $60. Yes, believe it!

• Liked — Views of the lake
  • Disliked — Front desk service
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank joidevivre
Seabrook, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2008

Only had time to spend one night there, but our stay was very good. The hotel is new therefor everything is very clean and new looking. The staff was considerate and willing to help in any way that they could. The hotel is just outside of town and is somewhat secluded in the trees but has a good view of the lake and it is away from all the noise of the town. A very cheap taxie ride of 5-10 minutes gets you into town when you want to go there.

My wife and I really enjoyed Bariloche and plan to return for an extended stay and will stay at the Design Suites again.

• Liked — Cleanliness and away from the noise of town
  • Disliked — Can not think of a thing.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2008

Really great rooms and service. Taxis are really easy and cheap into the town centre, or the bus goes from the bottom of the driveway.

The restaurant and breakfast was also really good.

Oh, and the massages are amazing!

Stayed February 2008