“a wonderful ending to a wonderful adventure”

Estancia Nibepo Aike
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We had a wonderful stay here at Nibepo Aike to finish off two weeks in Argentina. Everyone on the Estancia was friendly, welcoming and most helpful. The asado was outstanding as is the beef in Argentina in a special setting.

Even though we are from a farming area in the US, we did enjoy the farm activities as sheep shearing and miking the cow. The gouchos entertained us immensly. Walking around the area in the fresh air was a treat the day before a long journey back to the US.

A huge thank you to the staff and all those that made our trip so very special.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank janet o
There are newer reviews for Estancia Nibepo Aike

Reviewed 30 March 2013

Just to be clear, we did not stay here, we only went as a day trip. However, what a day trip, this was one of the highlights of our stay in El Calafate, second only to the Big Ice trek on Perito Moreno.
Part of me hesitates to give such a glowing recommendation because this is such a special place, that the more that is known about it the more it will be overrun. I hope that it does not lose its charm because of that.
This is far out of town, so be prepared for a long drive, but the scenery is stunning so you're certainly not bored. Part of the reason to go here is that it is one of the few working estancias that you can tour. Most of the estancia tours are in old farms that are no longer operational, this one still is. When you arrive they greet you with fresh baked bread and mate. We wandered around the main house looking at the views and pictures. There are some very friendly cats who are characters in their own right who joined us outside. Also some cute puppies running around. I spent a little time drinking mate with the chef as he was preparing lamb for the afternoon lunch and he showed me how they prepare it traditional Patagonia Cordero. He is the 8 time champion of making this dish for all of Patagonia.
In a small group we wandered to the cow pen where they showed us how they milk the cows, followed by a short walk down to the lake where we learned about the geology and history of the area. When we came back we joined a larger group of tourists and they demonstrated a traditional sheep shearing. There were some people who took horse rides instead of walking down to the lake, however, since I am allergic to horses we didn't do this. It didn't look like they rode that far though. We toured the barn and then headed back inside for an epic lamb feast, the best lamb we had in all of Argentina!
Recounting the activities it doesn't sound like a very active day, however, what isn't communicated is the pleasure of spending time on such a beautiful relaxing estancia and getting a taste of the pace of life for these gauchos. We had such a wonderful time walking around the estancia and interacting with the animals. We had a small group and our guide Emily spoke both Spanish and English and was a wealth of knowledge. We also made good friends with the other people in our tour. It is worth noting that while we had a small group of about 8 people, there was a large French tourist bus that was also there and it had closer to 50 people. I think in such a large group it would have lost its charm, so I would definitely recommend going in a small group if possible.
If you're looking for a relaxing day to spend in exquisitely beautiful nature, to slow down your life, lose some stress, and learn about a different way of living, this is a fantastic journey to embark on. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank inempyrean
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Our bodies were pretty sore the day after trekking to the center of the Perrito Moreno Glacier for 7 hours, so we wanted to find an activity that was mellow. The thought of sitting around in the touristy town of El Calafate all day sounded really tedious. We decided to take a day trip to this Estancia and we were so glad we did. Our guide, Emily, was wonderful and everyone who worked on the ranch was awesome. The setting is breathtaking - it's hard to put your camera down. And although the Estancia is definitely geared towards tourists, it didn't matter to us. We loved seeing the gauchos milk the cattle, shear and herd the sheep, and tend to the land. The highlight was the incredible meal they made for us at the end of the tour. The chef is an 8 time winner in Patagonia for his lamb - and boy, was it was award winning. The chorizo was also amazing. It was so much fun sitting with everyone and conversing over such wonderful food. An unforgettable day!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank megado5
Reviewed 27 March 2013

This estancia was commended as a good original country experience.
The price - value ratio is the lowest on the whole area (350 pesos for an average meal + 90 pesos for the transport)
You need to add extra money for a 50 mins horse ride (+100 pesos). The only enjoyable thing you can do with your family but the problem is that this is available for 10 year old kids or above.
This is not recommended at all for anyone!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank fabinaty
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Nibepo Aike is a glorious experience IF you can handle a few inconveniences. It's quite a drive to get there on some unpaved roads and the generator electricity is sometimes off for certain periods of the day. BUT..it is so well worth it to experience real ranch life, to watch the gauchos herding the animals, milking the cows, shearing the sheep and to go horseback riding with them on 75,000 acres. The fireplace is warm and inviting, the staff couldn't be friendlier and the food is delicious and plentiful. Add to that the fields of lupine and the snow capped mountains and the wonderful hikes and side trips that can be made from here and you have heaven. And how many hotel staff members give you a big hug when you leave? I wish had had brought my children here when they were young to have this experience.

Room Tip: None of the rooms are anything special. It's a farmhouse.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Carolyn B
Reviewed 15 January 2013

I felt cheated, I realize a reservation via telephone a week before staying, and they charged me the entire stay before go, without warning. Previously asked twice if I balance debited. No Baucher received. I did not sign any authorization to charge the total stay in without warning. My card was blocked by the debit. They advanced the date of my admission one day prior to the request, if not called and confirmed my stay did not know.
My wife was sick before going, they did not return my money if I was not staying. I request half board, as my wife was pregnant, asked her to contemplate lunch, we arrived and they had forgotten. I ask again and they told me there was no problem that was contemplated. On leaving they charged us each day USS 40 for lunch. ended up paying the same as the full rate and we make no activity.
I think they do not care to tourists, which lack clear communication of such information. The place is beautiful, I recommend it, but attention is far from the price they charge.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank risendronato
Reviewed 12 November 2012

This is a long way to go but the estancia is in a very beautiful setting and worth the journey. The guides were helpful and knowledgeble and the lunch excellent. Riding is worthwhile as you are at peace with nature and can see the wildlife close up, with Perito Moreno glacier just beyond.

Room Tip: Did not stay
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple