“Asado heaven”

Posada Patagonica Nakel Yen
London, United Kingdom
“Asado heaven”
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights, staff were good booking us trips, giving us information. Barbeque was huge and we cooked up a storm. Kitchen dining area is pretty good, hostel computers are really old and slow and need upgrading. It's a bit of a walk from town but seems further just because it's such a small place

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Dennis T

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 24 March 2014

It has been mentioned before, but the rooms beside the desk are akin to sleeping on the couch in the lobby. There is no sound-proofing between the stereo literally right outside your door, the people in the lobby or the front-desk AND your room. Unless you don't mind the noise, ask for a room further in the hostel.

I booked two nights at this hostel and asked for a quiet room which I always do and was put into one of the rooms beside the desk anyway. After telling them that I was going to move to a different hotel because of the noise, the guy at the desk became upset and told me that I would still have to pay for the room (this was before I had even used the room; I had just put my bag in it). Even though I wasn't happy about this, I told him that I would pay for one night only since that was about all the inconvenience the hostel could expect from a last minute cancellation. I also offered that moving me to another room might also address the situation, and he immediately showed me another room in the back which was quiet and perfectly suitable, so I stayed there for the first night.

Later on that night, I was told that I would have to move back to the original room because they had a booking for the room that I was in. I told them that I would stay in the room I was in for one night and look for more accommodations for the next day.

The facilities were nothing special. The lobby had worn out couches. The wifi did not work in my room or in the lobby most of the time, the breakfast was only bread. This is all masked by the fake smiles and handshakes of the staff, which I found out later could disappear quickly if you had a problem.

The hostel is in an inconvenient spot outside of the downtown and up a large dusty hill. The price for what you get was very expensive. For my second night, I paid the same amount and ended up with a beautiful room close to the downtown area on a quiet street in a hostel with far superior facilities.

I would definitely not recommend this hostel to anyone as there are so many better options available in the area. One last note is that Nakel Yenu also has the least favorable exchange rate for U.S. dollars that I encountered in El Calafate. Maybe they only gave me the poor rate because I complained, but all of the other places I went had a better rate.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in another hostel/hotel for the best stay in El Calafate.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Sibiu, Romania
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We stayed here 3 days and within this time we saw plenty of things. The staff is very helpful and informed us about the best options we had. Perito Moreno, glacier tours and horseback riding. The hostel is very nice, the rooms are also nice, clean and warm. Before arriving here I read some reviews about the noise during the night and the quality of sleep. It wasn't the case for us, we slept very good and it was no noise at all (we had a double room with private bathroom at the first floor). As for the hostels location, it's a 10-15 minutes walking distance from the bus station, where you have to descend a hill, the only problem is that on return you go uphill :). But it was no problem for us.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Nice place to stay. Hostel world etc says short walk from bus station, not true!! 25 min walk with good amount uphill, not pleasant with backpacks. Wouldn't have minded if said so on description, have walked further to other hostels from station. Nice welcoming staff. Have communal BBQs arranged for small fee. Good sized and clean room with good and clean bathroom. Warm shower with decent power. Nice breakfast with clean kitchen and decent cooking pans/utensils. Good wifi.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I booked a 4 night stay at this hostel after reading all of the good reviews I read. The hostel offers extremely friendly staff that love to push tours on you, but overall like to help you e kitchen facilities are great for making your own food. The location is a bit out of town but the walk is only about 10 minutes away. The asados have a fun atmosphere that makes you intermingle with the others at the hostel, although I have definitely had better hostel asados in patagonia (i.e. the meat was so-so with no seasoning, cheap cuts, over cooked). Breakfasts are very basic with buns, sweet spreads, sugared juice and coffee. The bathrooms seemed to be cleaned decently enough so no complaints there.

My biggest complaint is that the hostel offers zero sleep quality. We stayed in an upstairs private room, with shared bathroom, which faced the street in front of the hostel. The bed was horribly uncomfortable with springs digging into our hips and ribs all night. Luckily we had our camping mats so we were able to put those on top of the mattress but it didn't help the fact that the mattress caved in the middle. Also, the hostel kept the heat on permanently so the room would become a horrible sauna in no time if you didn't keep the window open. Unfortunately, as soon as you opened up the window, all you would heat is the partying happening below you on the porch, loud music and street traffic (ie. all the cars without mufflers). Since the lobby common area is so small, everyone would go outside in the front of the hostel to hang out until 3 or 4 AM, talking loudly, smoking and playing loud music. The bar across the street also didn't help with the noise level. Overall, we maybe got an hours sleep each night we stayed there, which made our hiking and excursions a little challenging. The window also had crappy drapes that did nothing to stop the street light from shining right into our rooms. To help the situation, we tried wearing eye masks, ear plugs and, downloaded a white noise app but it barely helped our ability to sleep. We were so exhausted by the 3rd night we tried finding somewhere, anywhere, in El Calafate to sleep other than this hostel but everything was booked up at that point.

Overall, I would say skip this place entirely and go to another hostel and treat yourself to sleep.

Room Tip: Very noisy rooms on ground level as well as rooms overlooking the street.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Nakel Yenu for 4 days with my boyfriend in a double room. The place is close to the center and the staff includes four kind and friendly guys. I loved the fact that it was always clean and cozy, with great music and great wibe. The breakfast was luxurious! Also hot water all the time, good Wifi, great beds. The kitchen is aslo fully equipped and convenient to use. Last thing - I highly recommend to buy turist deals like a visit to the Perito Moreno glaciar through the hostel - prices are lower than those offered by the agencies at the center.
So enjoy your stay - you will not regret!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Switzerland
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Nakel Yenu is a good backpacker's place. You get good value for your money, even though some basic things are missing, for instance hooks to hang clothes in the dorms (it wouldn't cost a lot of money or effort to add them) and also storm plugs in the dorms. The kitchen, in a separate building, is roomy , well equipped and welcoming. Breakfast is good. The staff is very easy-going and friendly. The internet connection is really bad! It's not directly in the town center but you can get there walking 5 min.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple