“Well, it's been said before...”

La Posada del Angel
Ranked #31 of 70 Hotels in El Calafate
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Juan and Graciela are probably the best hosts we had the pleasure of encountering during our trip. They serve a very tasty breakfast, give advice about the more authentic places in this very touristy town and Juan even lent my gf sunglasses to visit the glacier! When we returned them, we had a lovely chat over a cup of coffee and had a hard time leaving. I wish we could've spent an extra night in their posada.
Our room was a bit on the small side, but functional and clean.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 March 2014

My wife and I were fortunate enough to stay with Juan and Graciela for 4 nights while in El Calafate. I say fortunate because it is hard to know exactly what kind of experience one is going to have staying at a place after only looking at pictures and reading reviews online. We were extremely happy that we chose to stay at La Posada del Angel during our vacation.

Typically we stay at places away off the beaten path to avoid the crowds, so we are used to commuting to the center of town by walking or car. We are in our 30's and feel the benefits much out weigh the commute requirement. The walk to town from the B&B does take about 10 minutes and there is a steep-ish climb from the main street to the bus terminal (stairs are also available). If you making that walk turns you off, I can assure you that the warmth and hospitality that Juan and Graciela shows guests will more than make up for the effort. Plus, if they are going to town at the same time you are, they will likely give you a ride.

The first night we were there, we went to town to book tours and eat dinner. For some reason the tours in El Calafate require people to bring their own lunch, so we also had to stop at the grocery store before walking back. That particular night, the grocery store decided to close early and would not let me in after showing up 2 minutes past the early closing time. My wife and I were scrambling to figure out how to get some lunch that we could take with us on the tour (aka had to be eaten cold) when the only store in town was closed. We ended up getting a few items from what I can best describe as a gas station store (minus the gas pumps), which needed to be cooked in order to be eaten. We crossed our fingers that Juan and Graciela would let us use their kitchen, especially sort of late at night, but when we got back, the answer was, "of course." They helped us with anything else we needed (tour recos, laundrymat location, restaurant suggestions, etc.) while we were there too.

Throughout our stay, we talked with Juan and Graciela at each meal and learned about how they have taken in 2 stray dogs (stray dogs are everywhere in Argentina...quite sad really). They are two of the nicest people we have met and were happy to call them mom and dad after a couple days of getting to know them. We took an overnight trip to El Chalten and they let us stash our luggage with them, but it felt like returning home when we came back.

Thanks mom and dad for making our trip to El Calafate an enjoyable and memorable one. We wish you all the best in the future.

Robert and Ellen

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank robert s
Reviewed 28 January 2014

If basic and super kind people is what you want, this is the spot. I was traveling alone and Juan treated me like his own daughter! Absolutely went above and beyond to help me more than once. (He drove me to bus terminal twice!) My room was clean, simple and basic, hot water, warm bed. Juan and his wife are lovely people with big hearts. My Spanish is horrible and he speaks very basic English but we understood each other anyway and cracked jokes.....it was a pleasure. Thank you!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Juan and Graciela are so kind and welcoming. They offer the use of their home and go above and beyond expectations with their customer service. The bed and breakfast is modern and clean, and well-appointed for couples with private bathrooms. Posada del Angel was the perfect complement to the amazing excursions that we took to visit the glaciers.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Juan and Graciela go beyond good service, they will treat you like family, the place is very nice, and conveniently located close to bus station and downtown. we needed to do some laundry as we arrived after finishing an 8 days trekking trip in Torres del Paine and Juan took us in his vehicle around town to find an open laundry that will have our clothing ready before our departure, I would recommend this place to anybody planning to spend time in El Calafate

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We stayed at Posada del Angel on two different legs of our trip to Patagonia and we were all very pleased that we did. Juan and his wife were so friendly, helpful and welcoming. We had a few special requests such as making breakfast very early so we could go on the glacier walk, and they were always very accommodating. It is like staying at the house of friends! The house itself is very nicely decorated and comfortable, and the rooms are furnished like someone's house also. Wifi, great hot water, comfy beds with plenty of heating - all very cozy. The house is a short walk from downtown through a totally safe neighborhood and is pretty close to the bus station. The first night we got there, it was late, and I wanted to get a glass of Malbec, since we were in Argentina, and Juan sold me a bottle from his kitchen so I didn't have to go out searching for a liquor store at 11 pm (although this being Argentina, I'm sure something would have been open). Even though my Spanish is not that great, I had some interesting conversations with Juan - really nice guy and very helpful, friendly and service oriented. Would definitely recommend Posada del Angel. Oh, and the price was very reasonable also!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Only spent one night here but we were greeted with kisses like old friends. We felt so welcome - it was like having an amazing Argentinian mum and dad! My Spanish is terrible and their English was better but not fluent - but we had great chats anyway! Breakfast was made for us super early as we had a tour booked - it was nice to get toast and croissants for a change. When we returned from our tour, we were given ice water and allowed to sit and relax in the living area before our bus.

The room was so cosy and comfortable and I had a great night's sleep. The wifi was really fast in all areas of the house.

Loved this b&b and would definitely recommend.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple