“Great location and friendly hosts but watch out for the 21% tax!!”
Review of Hosteria Meulen

Hosteria Meulen
Ranked #45 of 69 Hotels in El Calafate
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Just a short walk from Lagoon Nimez the Hosteria Muelen is in a great location. It takes about half an hour to stroll into town. The room overlooking the lake was lovely and the service very friendly. Breakfast was quite ordinary but everyone gets two lovely warm croissants! The sitting room and outside terrace are good places to watch the changing light over the lake.
The only downfall for me was the hefty 21% tax added to the bill, which came as a surprise. Not sure if it would have applied had I paid in cash - a bit late to do anything about that on the last morning on my way to the bus!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Sue N
hosteriameulen, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hosteria Meulen, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2013

Thank you very much Susan for your nice comment, it was a pleasure to have you as a guest, and we will glad to see you again, if you returns to El Calafate.
And indeed, by the central that you made ​​the booked, the national taxes are discriminated.
Best wishes
Mariela

Reviewed 26 January 2013

We are a group of 4 sisters from Thailand. We stayed at Meulen for 4 nights. I and my sisters found that this is a very friendly hotel. Staff are nice and very helpful. Rooms are ok. I'm impressed by the extra service the hotel provided as requested.

We asked about a car rental info. The hotel help managed it easily and fast.
I asked the owner about how to order lunch boxes and told her I'll order and at the same time I'd asked her about the possibility to have breakfast boxes and she said she will prepare breakfast for us. Later, my sister said another receptionist at the lobby told her that there would be NO breakfast box for us on a requested date. I was like... confuse, but didn't take it seriously. However, I forgot to order lunch boxes. I didn't anticipated breakfast boxes on the day we're going to Torres del paine, but we got that's impressive. She has a good service mind and remember the tiny little things we asked for.

Thank you very much for making us feel so relax, safe and also for taking good care to all of us.

I would definately recommend this hotels to my friends and everyone.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chintana T
Reviewed 4 December 2012

After spending time in refugios, it was nice to stay in a propoer hotel. It has a quirky European alpine feel to it. The rooms are very warm and with adequate facilities. Breakfast was typical for the region - a continental type. The staff are quite friendly and most speak reasonable English.

The only downside was that the hotel is about a half hour walk from the middle of town.. They promise a regular shuttle service, but it didnt turn up on Sunday. Cabs are inepensive though. Unfortunately, the location precludes popping into town for a late night drink (the hotel only had 1 type of beer in the bar).

Amazing views of the lake and town from this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2012

When arriving at the hotel I was amazed, I arrived in the hotel about 5:30am and they staff were very friendly and helpful. the rooms were excellent and very clean, it was by far the best holiday my family have been on, everyone is soooo helpful and smiley there…The glaciar is spectacular, I don’t know It is dificult to describe such experience. Everything is awesome in calafate!! I hope to retun one day there…such a nice town.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2012

While Patagonia is a backpackers dream, you might find yourself tempted to forego the backpack and choose a more tranquil rest, if you stay here. It was awfully tempting to extend my stay, thankfully (or may be unfortunately) Meulen was booked for the next few nights, so I remained committed to a backpacking adventure. Beware, Meulen is wonderful and inexpensive...great food, great hosts (thankyou Slvia for offering some of your husband's clothes when the airline lost my pack, and thankyou Paola for the Spanish lessons!). But the view, the postcard somebody has installed in each window is magnificent. Damned Calafate Berry, I'll be back

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank craigwilson w
hosteriameulen, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hosteria Meulen, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Mr Craig:
Thank you very much for your kind comments and value your time in writing, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Hosteria Meulen, our restaurant and our views.
I hope another opportunity if you want to visit, and of course taste calafate berry again!
Best regards.

Reviewed 1 March 2012

the hotel is out of town and on a sand/gravel road. work is being done on the main road and the drivers had a hard time to get there but the hotel is lovely both inside and out and the rooms are excellent with great lake views. paula is very helpful and nice. there is a lagoon nearby with a great variety of plants and birds which was nice to visit. breakfast is o.k. and the price fair. there is a shuttle service to and from the center of calefate but it has to be requested and operates twice a day. taxi's are available and cost about 28 pesos. the hotel has a nice deck.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank michalbassat

Dear Guest
We appreciate your laudatory comments and value your time to write.
I hope another opportunity if you want to visit.
Kind regards

Reviewed 9 January 2012

This place would be great if it were just closer to town. The views are great of largo argentino, there's a free breakfast that is just sufficient, wifi was ok (we couldn't get it in our room, so we were camped out in the living room area/lobby when we had to use wifi). They only take you twice into town daily, and return twice daily, it's just a taxi service, so one night when we were returning, there were 6 of us crammed into 4 seats, all stacked on top of each other (a sedan). The walk downtown, if you don't want to rely on the taxi is about 20 minutes. The wildlife preserve nearby is a great short walk away though, and we probably wouldn't have gone to the preservei f we didn't stay in this part of town. The preserve is worth a visit if you have a couple hours.

Room is spacious, there's a sign on the safety box saying they'll charge more if you use it (we didn't use it...seems kinda silly though).

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple