“Mixed Review of Esplendor”

Esplendor Hotel El Calafate
Ranked #16 of 70 Hotels in El Calafate
New York, NY
“Mixed Review of Esplendor”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2010

This is a really stylish hotel, with very cool decor and interiors. Our room was nice (though a bit hot--no A/C) and the restaurant and lobby area are tasteful. The food is good. The walk to the main strip of town is easy. The major downside to our stay was that we received an email the night before we arrived saying that we were going to be downgraded to a Concept (standard) room from the suite we'd reserved. The suites here look amazing, and we're on our honeymoon and thought we'd splurge. We were sorely disappointed to be downgraded and there was nothing the nice folks who work here could do, blaming it all on management in Buenos Aeries. Apparently, they made ten bookings for six suites, and I don't think this was an isolated incident, given other tripadvisor write-ups. So be warned. Also, the internet was spotty in the room, fine in the lobby. The dogs bark all night and the motorcycles rev down the street, so your sleep might be interrupted if you're a light sleeper and need the window open to stay cool.

So, stay here, but it might be imperfect.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank abziegs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2010

We stayed at the Esplendor for one night in November and wished that we could have stayed another night. The hotel is in a great location, a short walk up the hill from the main street in El Calafate - quite close to the bus terminal. The decor of the hotel and rooms are very nice and the bed was incredibly comfortable. Breakfast was very good and the staff were friendly. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
E03TripAdv, Gerente at Esplendor Hotel El Calafate, responded to this review, 3 January 2011
Dear Guest:

I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with TripAdvisor. Your nice comments encourage us to continue working on providing high quality accommodations and services. I will definitively share them with my staff. I look forward to the opportunity of hosting your next visit to El Calafate.

Lecheria, Venezuela
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2010

After 5 days hiking at Torres del Paine (Chile), took the bus over to El Calafate to check out the big glacier (Perito Moreno). Couldn't believe my luck when I checked in to the hotel...was like a piece of heaven (luxury) in Patagonia. The decor was Patagonian rustic-ness (deer horns, local decorations) but modern and chic - think dark wood, open spaces, comfort, and macs in the lobby.

When I saw my modern bathroom with lots of glass and a bidet, well I was soooo happy and couldn't wait to take a nice long hot shower (and finally get clean). I loved the sylishness of my room with the (fake) deer horn lights, rustic bench, and cool pillows. Had a nice view of town and the water. The wi-fi was free and worked on and off in my room.

The breakfast was good, also with a nice view of the town. They can provide a box lunch to take with you to the glacier. The hotel is on a bit of a hill, and it is about 10-15 minutes walking to the main street of town (with all the shops and restaurants). I loved the walk and the zig-zag walkway to the entrance. (During the walk you pass some houses [culture], dogs that ignore you, a park, and an irresistible chocolate shop.) The staff were very helpful (came to my room to open my wine bottle). Had a nice massage at the hotel.

This town was my stopover on the way to Ushuaia. I stayed 3 days, but really only needed 2. But it was nice and relaxing and the hotel was great.

Beautiful and comfy hotel. Hope to stay there again.

Food: I recall fondly the patagonian lamb at Casimiro Bigua (on the main street)

Stayed February 2010, travelled solo

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2010

On arrival we were greeted with a smile from the staff and the check in was great. We were given maps and told about the hotel facilities. Checkout was equally great the staff at the counter were really efficient and helpful, they even printed out our on line check in boarding passses !!! The service was not in your face and even though probably a little short staffed at times, a large tour group was staying at the same time, when the staff were interacting they were really professional, polite and friendly. The bar tender was equally friendly..though he was off helping out elsewhere most of the time.

The decor was equal to the photographs which was unique and pretty amazing. Lots of antlers, sheeps skin and leather.

The major downside for us was that we received an email the night before we were to arrive telling us that we were going to be moved to another hotel that we had never heard of as there was a problem with the reservation system and the hotel was over booked. We replied with our concern over this new arrangement.

The major upside was that the relocation never happened and we were upgraded to a suite room, which was awesome !!! Well done Esplendor angry customers - nil converts - one.

Not sure how the tour group fits in with the whole vibe of a boutique hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
E03TripAdv, Gerente at Esplendor Hotel El Calafate, responded to this review, 3 November 2010
Dear Guest:

I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with TripAdvisor. Your comments encourage us to continue working on providing high quality accommodations and services. I will definitively share them with my staff. I look forward to the opportunity of hosting your next visit to Argentina.

Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2010

Hotel looks great on the internet and looks great when you arrive but is is a shame there is no one who could be bothered to even talk to you or help you when you arrive. Some young twenty something at the front desk all alone who was busy surfing the internet and not vaguely interested in anything or anybody else.
Finally after some 5 excuse me´s and then being told to wait a minute we were given our room key. Unfortunately our room key was the only thing that seemed to be working. I soon found out that the fireplace was broken and couldn´t be fixed, the bar was closed and they had no idea when it was to reopen and the restaurant would be open for breakfast but would not be operating any other time. Basically nothing worked in this place including the staff.
It was my 50th birthday present to come to El Calafate and bring my wife and son. The rest of the trip was fantastic but this hotel is a big dud.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Dear Guest:

I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with TripAdvisor. Your comments encourage us to continue working on improving the quality of our accommodations and services. I will definitively share them with my staff. I look forward to the opportunity of hosting your next visit to Argentina.

New Hampshire, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2010

This hotel has a lot of great things going for it -- style/decor, service, proximity to the center of town, cleanliness....Unfortunately, temperature control was difficult. If you prefer cooler temperatures while sleeping, please note that there is no a/c at this hotel. Your only option is to turn off the radiators (which really heat up the room) and open the window, which is fine with the cool Patagonian air. The downside is that it was hard to sleep with the street traffic (not crazy but still constant throughout the night) and the barking dogs...even with earplugs. Otherwise, we had no other issues with the hotel. The tip about walking through the bus station to get to town was great; it was an easy 5-10 minute walk.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
lsolavaggione, Gerente at Esplendor Hotel El Calafate, responded to this review, 28 September 2010

Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2010

Get a room if you can facing onto the town and lake. Lovely hotel, pleasant room and breakfast, good value for money. Hotel in a pleasant position, an easy walk from the main street of El Calafate. El Calafate was wonderful to visit in April - beautifully autumnal. Just flying in over the empty spaces of Patagonia was a treat in itself. And the scenery is incredible. Would recommend you hire a taxi to take you to the Perito Moreno glacier area and you can explore by yourself at your leisure. Boat trip followed by lunch at the visitor centre and then the wonderful walkings back to the boat jetty. Next day we booked a full day boat trip to the Estancia Cristina with a 4x4 drive to an overlook on the Uppsala glacier - also absolutely wonderful. And the Esplendor a delightful place to be based in.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest:

I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with TripAdvisor. Your nice comments encourage us to continue working on providing high quality accommodations and services. I will definitively share them with my staff. I look forward to the opportunity of hosting your next visit to Argentina.