All reviews every hour in town shuttle service hourly shuttle noisy neighbours view from the dining room other hotels lake view ice trekking thin walls wonderful stay the bus stayed nights tour calafate argentina flamingos
Reviewed 7 February 2018

These include:

1) Bugs/insects and an inappropriate response to them
- I found approximately small 15 bugs (crawling with wings) on January 25th (Evening 3). These were crawling in the sink, over my toiletries and on the floor
- The hotel’s response was to move me to the next room. This had an adjoining bathroom and door (with gaps between the door and the carpet/floor)
- When I complained, the hotel was very dismissive, suggesting bugs are not uncommon at this hotel

2) Threatening/rude staff
- The key incident occurred on January 26th (Morning 3) – an older, large, stocky male Concierge stood over me and attempted to physically and verbally intimidate me (I am a slim female)
- A tour pick-up driver arrived early (at 6.35-6.40 am instead of the 6.45am time advised)
- Breakfast at the hotel is only available from 6.30 exactly
- The Concierge came to the table and physically stood over me and my meal, shouting loudly that I needed to stop eating and leave. He raised his hand repeatedly over my plate. He refused to let me take even the remainder of my food already on my plate with me.
- Of note, another male being picked up for the same tour was still gathering his things from his room. The driver was also understanding. Edenia’s Concierge was the problem.

3) Lack of basic provisions (particularly water)
- Unlike other hotels, this hotel does not provide at least 1 complimentary bottle of water on arrival
- The taps in the room are fitted low so water bottles cannot be filled up
- When I attempted to fill an existing bottle with some water for the day on January 24th (Morning 1) during breakfast, I was strongly berated by the Breakfast server “Ana” saying I would be charged for the water at Room Service prices if I continued

4) General other issues with the hotel
- The above 3 issues are a major health and safety concern. Other issues which are minor by comparison, but should be noted include:
o Extremely poor internet/wifi
o Poor quality bedding/blankets (holes in bedding)
o Distance from the city - There is however an hourly shuttle service - this shuttle service and the driver (most professional/courteous employee encountered there) were the only positive thing about Edenia Hotel
I stayed in 4 other hotels in Argentina (1 in Ushsuaia, 2 in BA and 1 in Iguazu Falls) which were all fantastic so I don’t believe these issues to be related to language/cultural problems.

I have photos of the bugs and the bedding if this website, the hotel or interested guests would like to follow up on this review.

Room tip: Choose an alternative hotel
Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank jaciantispam
HOTELEDENIA, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Edenia Punta Soberana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2018

Dear jaciantispam:
Thank you very much for your time in leaving us your opinion, the satisfaction of our guests is our priority and first of all we apologize if your stay did not meet expectations.
Regarding what he tells us about the bugs he found in his room, we would like to tell him that they are not dangerous, they are small bugs of light that enter if the window is open since it is an area of ​​mountains and lakes.
As in any hotel with breakfast buffet, the food served there is only for consumption in the lounge, whenever you want to bring something, we can prepare a meal or if you need water you can ask our waiters who are always willing to provide it free of charge , both cold and hot water.
We apologize if you had problems with any member of our staff, we will take appropriate measures.
Finally, the doors of our hotel are open so you can return when you want and management will take care of managing your reservation.

I send you a cordial greeting

Reviewed 25 January 2018 via mobile

This location is not near the town center as you probably have already read. The metered taxi from the center of town took 12 minutes but 230 ARS while the hotel told us it would be 150 ARS, because I think it'll require them to call you one with fixed rate.

Today I arrived from El Chalten, and because this hotel is far, the bus wouldn't drop us off at the hotel. It cost 500 ARS and 3 hours to come here and 230 ARS and 12 minutes to get to the hotel. Beforehand (bur after the non-refundable booking, unfortunately), I had emailed the hotel regarding the free shuttle. As responsive as they were, it didn't help much. They wouldn't allow luggages to be on the free shuttle bus.

After all the scrambling to get a taxi from the town center with our luggages, where we had to ask a shop to kindly help us and call one as there weren't many to be found and flagged down.

After 4 hours of traveling and inconvenience, the disappointment continued. The room, was tired and dated, as you can tell by the 20 inch tube (CRT) TV, the old wood paneling and popcorn walls. The bathroom, however, was renovated nicely. This place is lacking in upkeep, the decor look like it's still in the 1970. The lake view was not impressive. One great thing was that staff were really friendly. They were simply wonderful and eager to help.

Why did I pick this hotel? I guess it was this one review that said you would be the last to be picked up by the ice trekking tour so you would be able to sleep longer. But it turned out we were the first to be picked up at 7:05am with the small mini bus and then transfer to the big tour bus in the town center. And that this hotel has a very high rating on TripAdvisor.

At the least, the hotel can arrange a taxi for you to the airport for 450 ARS. As oppose to what I found in town with the cheapest bus option of 150 ARS per person.

All and all, I think it's a fine place if you have a car, otherwise I'd avoid it. I regret it so much!

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank lprisr
HOTELEDENIA, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Edenia Punta Soberana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are deeply sorry you haven't enjoyed your stay in the Hotel. Your comment help us improve our service.

Reviewed 12 December 2017

Very nice and welcoming hotel, smiling and professionnal employees, The location is wonderful, in a quiet and wild area, close to the city (free shuttle from/to the hotel every hour). We would definitely recommand and come back !

Room tip: + big and clean rooms, all with a nice view city or lake side. very comfortable beds - a little noisy between the rooms
Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
HOTELEDENIA, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Edenia Punta Soberana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2017

Dear mpergeaux:

Thanks for your time leaving us your comments! We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
We hope to see you again in your next visit to El Calafate

Kind regards,

Reviewed 19 October 2017

The hotel has very good facilities; the staff is outstanding; the restaurant has good food;—The rooms are very clean. The views from the dining room and guest rooms are breathtaking . The daily rates are expensive.

Room tip: Tasteful and clean
Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
HOTELEDENIA, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Edenia Punta Soberana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2017

Dear Ivan C:

Thank you very much for your time to leave us your opinion, we are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and the wonderful views that our hotel offers, as well as the warm attention of all the staff.

We hope to see you again

I send you a cordial greeting

Reviewed 5 April 2017

This place is OK, and they do a nice job with the rooms and breakfast, and it's quiet, but we would not stay here again unless we had a car. The shuttles don't start until 10 AM, and only run once per hour, which can make for a lot of waiting. Further, they don't allow simple things that are standard elsewhere, such as charging small amounts extra to the room for cash. Since all of the tours that handle glacier hikes or kayaks, etc., require cash-only park fees ahead of time, that the tour companies pick up from the hotels the night before, it would be nice if the hotel would allow such things.

Date of stay: March 2017