“Fine for short stay”
Review of Mysten Kepen B&B

Mysten Kepen B&B
Ranked #2 of 48 Ushuaia B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We had small clean fine room with ensuite bath.
Host Roberto is very helpful. It helps if you speak some Spanish though.
I would suggest the BB served perhaps some cheese, salami or such at breakfast. If you are staying more than a few days you may tire of the breakfast which is some cereal, small breads or toast and a lot of danish pastry, plus fresh fruit.

Whether walking or driving to place, don´t be put off by the surrounding street. It is fine and the BB is lovely. However taxi and transfer drivers questioned us if we had right address when we got closer to Mysten!

A slight problem which Mysten is not responsible for is there are many loose, though friendly dogs in Ush. They barked a lot during night and this kind of kept us awake. I love dogs, have had 3, but the town should round these fellers up for sure as they also rip garbage bags apart that are on street. BUT this has as I say nothing direclty to do with Mysten Kepen.

The place is about 15 minutes up steep hill from main street. If you having walking problems this is not the place for you.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hrs_foo

Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

Highly recommended b&b
clean,comfy, nice breakfast and very helpful staff.
All the information you need about ushuaia you can get from rosario and roberto.
They even booked our next hostel for us and took us there.
Pricey compared to an avarage hostel but you get much more.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 January 2014

My fiancé and I stayed at Mysten Kepen in January 2014 and overall, had a positive experience. We were in a room with a queen bed and a private bath, which was nice. The room is very basic, though it did have a TV with a few english-speaking channels. The room itself felt more like a private room in a hostel, rather than a B&B, though it was very clean. There isn't really a place to "lounge" besides the room, as the main TV area is also the family's TV room, so they were in there most of the time.

I have to say I was a bit disappointed with the city of Ushuaia in general, which is perhaps why my rating of Mysten Kepen is a bit on the average side, as well. Ushuaia seems to have a lot of homes that need major restoration and better upkeep. I don't think I would have felt safe walking alone back to Mysten Kepen in the dark from the city center. There is an abandoned house on the same street, lots of roaming, loose dogs, and there is grafitti on the house next door to Mysten Kepen, which of course is not an insult to the B&B, but it just makes me question safety and respect levels around the city, in general.

The family is very welcoming, though their English is minimal. i was thankful they were so gracious about my abysmal Spanish! I had some confusion checking out the last day, as I thought I had already paid through Booking.com, but in fact, had not. I wish my communication with the hosts had been better, as they of course needed to be paid the morning we left, but I was caught off guard. I completely understand that they need to get their money, but the English-Spanish translation was not good and we were lucky we happened to have 3500 pesos, as the hosts only accepted cash! Many of the ATMs in Ushuaia don't have cash (for real) so we were just really fortunate we weren't in an uncomfortable situation in which we weren't able to pay them. I would recommend if the hosts are in that situation in the future, they remind the guests upon check in that they need to pay at the end and that they only accept cash.

One final thing that made me feel a little bit awkward is that I had read all of these reviews about how Roberto, the host, had picked various guests up at the airport and also dropped them off…this was true for us, but he charged 60 pesos. No big deal, but I don't want you to read these reviews and think you will get a free ride!

Long story short, I truly do believe Mysten Kepen is the #1 B&B in Ushuaia, but for people who have stayed in lots of B&Bs, please don't think this will be a fancy experience.

Room Tip: Try to get the one private room with it's private bath!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank WhitTheHeck
Reviewed 15 December 2013

small B&B, very small rooms, so be careful with big suitcase, but owners are so friendly and helpful. Although their English is minimal, and our spanish less than basic we were able to organize everything with them.
They had work done for an extension and hence it was louder during the day, but since we were out exploring it didn't matter.
Location is ok, as it is a short walk into the busier center.

Room Tip: any room is ok.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My husband arrived in Ushuaia from Puerto Williams as the last leg of our four month bike trip through Chile, Argentina and Bolivia. The weather had been windy, cold, rainy and even snowing. We were tired after a 5000 km bicycle ride! Rosario and Roberto and their family were the perfect hosts, so warm, helpful, and welcoming. We made their home our home for 12 days, and felt completely relaxed and cared for. Their rooms are bright, very clean, comfortable, and spacious. The breakfasts put all that weight I lost on the bike trip back on in no time. We loved our stay with this family and highly recommend it to anyone, including families, Margaret

Room Tip: All rooms are very nice....
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2013

This B&B is small and rather simple, yet very comfortable and impeccably clean. What really sets it apart is the attention from its owners Rosario and Roberto, who go out of their way to make sure you get the most of your stay. From tips and extensive information on activities, tour or car rental coordination, to lunchbox preparation for tours or airport transfer, they are always available and willing to help out. The whole family lives on the same building so you can feel a genuine homely atmosphere (we are native Spanish speakers so not sure about their English though).
The only drawback to the place is its location, about 500 meters from the city centre on rather steep streets (pretty much everything outside the centre in Ushuaia is on steep streets). This is not too bad anyway, specially considering it is really worth renting a car to make the most of the surrounding area ( the owners would even drive you to the rental agency :) ).
A highlight of our visit, I would definitely go back to and recommend Mysten Kepen.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sebastianlopezf
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I've visited Mysten Kepen in March 13. I had made reservations for three nights but due to a problem with the airline I had to re schedule my whole trip to Ushuaia and El Calafate at the last minute and ended staying only one night in Usuahia. Rosario and her husband were kind enough to cancel the original reservation without any extra charge. Such an understanding is amazing and hard to find. Thanks Mysten Kepen for your hospitality. I certainly would like to come back. The place is great, impecable, warm and well located. Search no more. If you want a family feeling, this is it.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends