“Lovely hotel, great location”
Review of Canal Beagle Hotel

Canal Beagle Hotel
Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Ushuaia
Sydney, Australia
“Lovely hotel, great location”
Reviewed 8 April 2011

Great location, close to main strip.
Room was very nice and clean, although we asked for a double bed and got two singles pushed together instead.
Staff´s english was basic but they still tried to help us which we appreciated as our spanish is basic.
Breakfast was a little disappointing, however the cake they served was delicious and the girl in the restaurant makes real coffee (no instant stuff here).
Would go definately go back.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank littleange

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 28 November 2009

I stayed one night at the Canal Beagle Hotel post departure from the MS Fram Cruise Ship (two Antarctic voyages) before flying out of Ushuaia. The rooms are comfortable and modestly appointed. Restaurant opens at 8 p.m. but bar and cafeteria area is open from 7 a.m. Excellent selection of wines, priced well, and food ordered (lomo sandwich) delicious. Front desk staff are excellent and accomodating and have good English. Checkout is 10 a.m. but it can be stretched a little if requested. The hotel is about 200 meters/yards from the entrance/exit to the Ushuaia port.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank photoguy66degrees
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 6 November 2008

It was our second time in Ushuaia and our second time at the Canal Beagle Hotel, which is run by the Automóvil Club Argentino (ACA). After extensive research this was our best choice considering quality - price - location.
* Price: If you are an associate of the ACA, the price is unbeatable ! It's half the price of other comparable hotels. Don't know about the non-associate rates. It is worth becoming an associate just for the reduced rate, unless you are staying for just a few days.
* Quality: the rooms are standard, nothing fancy, but VERY CLEAN and TIDY, which is of the utmost importance to me. And they are airy as well, ask for a room overlooking the street, in the second floor (you will be just one flight of stairs from the bar, pool and restaurant). I've posted a picture of the room. I forgot the bathroom, but, believe me, it's perfectly ok if you are not looking for luxury but just a comfy room, with plenty of space. I recommend just to book the standard room From what I found out the only difference is the jacuzzi in the bathtub, which I personally wouldn't use.
There is a good restaurant in the hotel just in case you don't want to eat out. The breakfast is plentiful, don't know if there are hot options though. Just inquire the hotel through their website, they will be most willing to answer your questions.
There is a small gym, massage services for an extra cost, and an indoor pool with water too cold for me, but people used it.
The staff is friendly and always willing to recommend a restaurant, make reservations for you, book an excursion, get a shuttle for you, etc.
*Location: if you want a room with a view this is not the place, because the view of the Canal is blocked bu the containers of the port, but considering that you will be outside the hotel most of the day, I wouldn't mind. It is just in the center of the city, one block from the Casino and the main street.
In brief, I will be going back to this hotel every time I go to Ushuaia, which is, in my view, the best ski resort in Argentina both for the quality of the snow and the very few people that come here. Give it a try!

• Liked — It's location, the cleanliness and the fact that you could take a massage after skiing for a reasonable price.Also that there was a good restaurant on the first floor, so if it was too cold at night to go out, you could dine there.
  • Disliked — The water in the pool should be warmer.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MaGa-BuenosAires
sydney
Reviewed 31 July 2008

Have stayed in various hotels in ushuaia, for 1-2 days at a time. Hotel Beagle is not one with charm or character, in fact it feels more like a chain hotel. However, you cant beat the location, especially if you are planning on catch a ship to antarctica etc. it's right across the road from the port's main entrance. it's also right in the town centre but not on the main road [cool book shop around the corner too]. rooms are really nice and modern, great views. staff are very helpful and efficient, use to tourists, speak perfect english. they also have an indoor pool if need be, and breakfast was good enough - lovely view from restaurant. i dont think it's expensive, but if you are in two minds about staying here based on budget, i would lean more to yes than no as the convenience of it is worth it. and you get your money's worth, i believe.

• Liked — value for money
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank meegee
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 27 April 2008

After the harsh comments "Pretty Dismal" posted 29 March 2008 I feel compelled to write a more positive review. (I have just booked a room again for a business trip this week).

I stayed at this hotel in December 2007 after a night in the MIL810 hotel, (also recommended but no pool, fitness facilities). I had booked and almost stayed next door at the Albatros. I asked to see the room first and it was small, dark and depressing. There´s nothing worse than a hotel with a facelift that goes no further than the lobby! Arriving at the Albatros after a long day of business at 10pm I asked for a late check out the next day. The answer was NO. Could I at least use the spa after the early check out (10am)? NO! The hotel wasnt even full.

Completely frustrated with the attitude of the front desk I took my bags next door to the Hotel Canal Beagle hoping they would have a room. Thankfully they did and had no problem with me using the hotel facilities until 7pm the next day when I mentioned I had a late flight. Did they have a room wtih a view I asked.....Yes of course we do... I was already feeling better!

Being an ACA hotel (Automobile Club Argentina), it´s a "no frills place" that I'd compare with a camping club with a nice hotel. Yes it's old and lost in the 70s but its fun, almost retro, and the service is excellent. It´s also part of the national automobile club speaking of which the person criticising this hotel for lack of English should make an effort to learn some basic spanish before returning to a property that´s part of a nation chain in a spanish speaking country! My room was huge, the pool is a decent size and a perfect way to relax and warm up after the chill outside. There is also a small gym, sauna etc.

Accommodation is not cheap in Ushuaia and if paying $100-$200 for a night, I consider this hotel better value for money than others in its category. A contemporary stylish hotel has yet to arrive in town, and when it does I look forward to checking it out. In the meantime I'll happily return to the basic comfort of ACA's Canal Beagle

• Liked — overall relative value in town
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled on business
4 Thank ABCDaydream
sausalito, california
Reviewed 29 March 2008

This hotel was booked as part of a patagonian package and we needed a place to stay in Ushuaia before boarding Mare Australis expedition cruise. We nearly walked out - the place is dismal, tattered, unwelcoming, beds that roll (single), chipped paint, and no english speaking people to speak of. It is one step above a flop house - moderately clean, and functional but hasn't been updated since the 50's and was a downer in our otherwise marvelous Patagonian journey.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
3 Thank Cheledonna
London
Reviewed 21 January 2007

My wife and I stayed here between 2nd January 2007 and 5th January 2007 (3 nights).

We were very impressed with this hotel, much better than the 5 star hotel in Buenos Aires that we had been staying in prior to arrival in Ushuaia.

The hotel's location is perfect - couldn't be more central. The room was large and clean and had a great view out across the Beagle. The bed was huge.

On our third and final night we decided to take dinner in the hotel's restaurant - and what a great decision that turned out to be. Not only was the cost of dinner cheaper than most restaurants in town, I had the best bife de lomo (fillet steak) that I have had in the whole of Argentina (and I travel to Argentina frequently, as my wife is Argentine). Seriously impressive!

The staff were all very polite and professional, and they let us use the hotel's facilities for the whole day after checking out as our flight wasn't until the night.

We definately recommend this hotel and would stay here again if we ever re-visit Ushuaia.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple