Canal Beagle Hotel
US$131
US$158
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Hostal Del Bosque Apart Hotel(Ushuaia)(Great Value!)
US$70
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Las Lengas(Ushuaia)(Great Value!)
US$467
US$185
Travelocity
US$239
Agoda.com
All reviewsrestaurants and shoppingthe main streetexcellent locationrecommend this hotelsan martinwalking distancestar hotelyogurtbreadacaportsaunaantarcticablocktreadmillargentinaheating
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 November 2012

I am appalled by the previous review - clearly this person knows nothing of Hotel Etiquette and can consider himself lucky to indeed have been permitted to stay for such a long time with the behaviour documented in the review. To be able to deal with such poor customer conduct only proves the good standard of the Hotel.
I stayed at Canal Beagle for almost 3 weeks Oct -Nov '12 on business to kick off my 7th Antarctic Season. After having tried out most accommodations in town over the years the Canal Beagle certainly is the best and most reliable for my purposes.
I received great service at the 24 hr manned reception (quite unusual for Ushuaia). English language skills of front desk staff are varied from little to fluent but definitely sufficient. Superb cleaning service at my room in spite of my erractic comings and goings. Mini bar must be the best stocked one I have seen. Laundry service reliable and prompt. Breakfast buffet on the upper scale for Argentine standards. Location is absolutely unbeatable and away from the extremely noisy San Martin Street. Total bonus in this hotel is the modernized Indoor Swimming Pool and Spa Area as well as inhouse underground parking. Rooms are great size for Argentine Standards, the windows actually close, heating can be controlled in the room to personal wishes, beds are very comfortable.
The staff overall conduct themselves in a very consistent and professional manner. This spacious hotel has been one of the first ones in town and upgrade is happening. It is not a stylish boutique or modern chain hotel.

Room Tip: For total peace choose a room to the back, for a view over the Beagle Channel and ships comings and goings choose a room to the street.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Angela B
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I apologize for the length but I’m just going to tell my story – you can be the judge.

This was the worst hotel stay of my life. Never have I felt so unwelcome in any accommodation I’ve stayed in – and I spend a very considerable chunk of my year in hotels/lodgings. With our usual accommodation in Ushuaia not available due to the last minute change of venue for our September travel, we ended up at the Canal Beagle.

Within three days of our arrival, we received a noise complaint for kicking a soccer ball around in the courtyard, as in outside. We were told there were people sleeping and we would have to stop – it was 2pm in the afternoon. For the sake of clarity, let me add that we were not playing soccer; rather, we were juggling the ball back and forth over a makeshift barrier. Later, when we asked if there was anything the hotel could do about the running up and down our hallway yelling and screaming while we were trying to go to sleep, we were told it wasn’t quiet time yet – it was 9:55pm. Clearly, some guests are more equal than others. We played again the next day and were informed that if we were caught in the courtyard kicking the soccer ball around again, we would be kicked out – for juggling a soccer ball outside.

After that, the witch-hunt was on and almost every day it was something new. We received complaints about noise in the morning one day, then a few days later were rudely gotten up first thing in the morning to move our belongings because the floor urgently needed routine cleaning.

The rooms are not big, and to make them more livable, we would leave some skis and boots etc in the hallways in a very unobtrusive way – something we do on a regular basis, and in hotels far nicer than the beagle. Hotels in the French Alps for instance, and make no mistake – we don’t obstruct anything. Well sure enough, after a week or so we were told to clear the hallways or we were gonna be kicked out. The real kicker was that the alpine race team on the 3rd floor had equipment everywhere; I couldn’t count how many pairs of boots were in their hallway. They assured us we weren’t being actively singled out… Yet, ten minutes later they were back, knocking on doors of anyone that had anything outside their rooms informing us that we had better get our stuff inside. Two days later: the entire hallway upstairs occupied by the race team was still completely full of ski boots. I genuinely have no idea whether this discrimination was calculated or incidental, but it definitely exacerbated the unpleasant nature of our stay. We felt as though we were under constant scrutiny and that they were just waiting for someone to slip up and breathe too loudly or look at someone the wrong way.

Towards the end of our stay, we bought a toy ball, the kind you’d find in a dollar store that makes no sound when you kick it around and is so light you literally couldn’t damage anything if you wanted to. We set up a small square on the second floor landing and gently kicked it back and forth volleyball style – no running, no jostling, just juggling. One of the hotel managers peered around the stairs and took off running as though it was the most egregious act he had ever seen. We were told in no uncertain terms that if we did anything else they didn’t like, we were going to be out in the street. In hindsight, we shouldn’t have been surprised that playing with a dollar store ball would incite such outrage considering the first complaint levied against us was that we were disturbing the sleep of guests… by juggling a soccer ball… outside… at 2pm…

We did not stay at this hotel for a weekend, nor did we stay for a week – we were there for 2.5 weeks. Two and a half weeks of feeling like we were playing against a rigged deck, that the there were two sets of rules and we were on the losing side – 2.5 weeks of feeling completely unwelcome. Suffice to say, you would have to pay me a substantial amount to consider staying there again and if you are a group/team as we were I would especially recommend staying anywhere but this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
7  Thank Eddie H
Reviewed 15 September 2012

I stayed there for 2 weeks and I didn't liked this hotel at all. Most of the staff didn't speak english at all and we're not very nice. There was a lot of noise and the rooms weren't comfortable and big. Food was ok but nothing special. I wouldn't recommend this hotel if you go to Ushuaïa

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Arnaud L
hcanalbeagle, Director Comercial at Canal Beagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2012

Sorry you had a bad experience at our hotel, we try to train our employees so they can give better information. -
Thank you very much for your comment. -

Reviewed 25 July 2011

I stayed at this hotel between July 9 and 16, 2011. I went with my family and really exceeded my expectations. The hotel is very comfortable, recycled a few years ago. It has a heated pool, sauna, spa and gym.
The rooms are very comfortable and clean and service is very good.
Located in center Ushuaia, which is essential to make this place as a starting point to Cerro Castor (skiing) or to the variety of excursions available in this city.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Dieguito F
Reviewed 8 April 2011

Great location, close to main strip.
Room was very nice and clean, although we asked for a double bed and got two singles pushed together instead.
Staff´s english was basic but they still tried to help us which we appreciated as our spanish is basic.
Breakfast was a little disappointing, however the cake they served was delicious and the girl in the restaurant makes real coffee (no instant stuff here).
Would go definately go back.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple