“Disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating
Sydney, Australia
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

I went to this restaurant based on the reviews from other travellers. I was there for lunch and the place was quite empty, which I didn´t mind as I was a bit short on time. No one was in sight so I called for someone and a guy appeared from the kitchen. I passed the menu and I ordered a tuna and vegetables pasta. I got spaghetti, which is not what I ordered but it was ok. The spaghetti were of poor quality but at least they were too over cooked, however the sauce was quite disappointing. The vegetables were raw and quite hard and did not go well at all with the pasta (they even put lettuce in it......).
During my whole meal no one was in sight to ask for a drink or anything else. They were simply in the kitchen or whoo knows where. At the end I waited over 20 minutes from some one to show up again and to ask for the bill. The cost was 5$, which was reasonable, and when I paid with a 10$ bill they had to go to a nearby shop to ask for change......but this seems to be a common problem in South America (sencillo or suelto is the most precious thing in the continent, try to accumulate as much as you can...).

Overall the pasta was not the worst I´ve had in my life but definetely not something I would recommend. Same goes for the service which was non existent but at least courteous when they were there.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

“So different from the usuals found in all the other restaurants, and FRESH!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012 via mobile

We're not vegetarian, but this place offers a huge assortment for meatless and carnivores alike. A huge list of soups, fresh squeezed juices, large list of vegetarian options, Paisano specialty entrees, breakfast menu, omelettes, pastas, burritos, etc. None of the dishes are what you think - its much better! I could taste how fresh everything was. My chicken and veggie stir-fry was full of fresh veggies. It's exactly how I would make it for myself. We love trying out the indigenous foods wherever we go, but we are also on an 8-month trip around the world and need to eat to stay healthy and foods that are, on occasion, comforting to us. This place served all of those needs. Thank you.

North Miami Beach, Florida
“eating safe and healthy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

My wife and I arrived in Banos from Quito about 10: pm; checked-in hotel then noticed we were famished. The hotel staff suggested a place that could be open but it was more of a drinking establishment too late for food service. If we were ok with vegetarian food, the bartender suggested another restaurant nearby called El Paisano. As we are in our senior years with some minor food health issues, veggie sounded perfect.
We found the restaurant on a quaint, quiet, dimly lit street with a big painted sign over the top door entrance (think only one door opens). Inside were maybe 6 small tables with seating for 2 and paintings, which were painted by the owner, on the wall. I know I’m boring you, but here comes the kicker.
First: there is a rack area full of reading materials. They are there because using their menu as a guide, the owner discuses with you what you would like to eat and how you would like it prepared. As you wait for your meal, you may leisurely browse through the reading materials while nibbling on some sweet fruity dish everyone gets. We enjoyed very much talking to the other couples that were there. The tables were so close and the atmosphere so friendly it was easy for all to eat and talk about where we were from, how we got there and where we were going.
Second: But really should have been first. The owner’s wife is the magic in the place. She is the one that will prepare a banquet of a meal with a vegetarian artistic flavor, just for you.
Now I’m not going to tell you how we ravished the food. I’m not going to tell you how I think it was the most delicious vegetarian food I have ever eaten in my life.
But I will tell you this… for the next three out of ten days we ate nowhere else, and we paid less than it would have cost us to order combo meals at McDonalds in Miami.
I highly recommend if you’re new in town and want to be sure you’re eating safe and healthy go to “El Paisano”.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank el lazaro p
Bucaramanga, Colombia
“Vegetarian, Vegan or Carnivore, this place is AMAZING!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

I have been mostly a vegan for 7 years. I have traveled to many parts of the world and extensively in South America. El Paisano is incredible. Of the 15 meals I ate in Banos, 14 were here and that's only because the first meal I ate was before I new this place existed. I tried most of the veggie items on the menu and they were all delicious. I brought meat eating friends who loved the delicious non-veggie Italian dishes and pizza. If you are in Banos, GO HERE. Its around the corner from the Chiminia hostel. Remember, you are in Ecuador so it may take a few minutes extra to be served. Just chill out and enjoy the incredible food.

• Visited November 2011
Cuenca, Ecuador
“Mediocre food, slow service, what's all the fuss about?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

I had a pizza. The crust was thin and crispy, which is fine but the sauce was sweet topped with cheap cheese. My partner had a decent tuna pasta. The service is slow, as stated and the staff rarely seen. The walls are cluttered in art that could pass for a teenage novice and they were out of wine which would've made it a bit more bearable. Next time, I'd give it a miss.