“love this place”

and 1 more site!
Hostal Chimenea
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Banos
Reviewed 12 February 2014

This was my second stay with Chimenea and I liked it even better this time. Banos is so nice,friendly,and easy to get around and you couldn't find a better place to stay.We got to know many of the other guests,the ability to cook is so welcome. The food in Banos will not disappoint.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 February 2014

The best hostel I stayed in while traveling in Ecuador (Quito > Banos > Mindo). The place was cute and charming, rates were very reasonable (almost too inexpensive, tbh), laid-back / social atmosphere, ample space in rooms, the rooms and grounds were very clean, the shower had great pressure and quick hot water. My biggest complaint was the lack of WiFi reception in the room - apparently some rooms have WiFi but mine did not. WiFi and computers were available in the "lobby" but they have quiet hours after midnight so don't try to access a computer too late. The hostel offers great mountain/waterfalls views but my room did not have a window looking on them despite selecting "Mountain View" - not a huge disappointment as I was barely in the hostel during the daylight. Great cafe onsite for inexpensive and quality breakfast. The hostel offers a variety of other services (massages, hot baths, etc.) that I didn't take advantage of but I heard they were great. Any physical location in Banos is pretty decent as the city was small but I appreciated the hostel's proximity to Cafe Hood (great gringo-run restaurant with inexpensive happy hour and good food), the town square, and tour operators.

In short: definitely recommended!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

I highly recommend Hostel Chimenea. The rooms are very clean, staff is wonderful, and a private room was only $8.50 a person. The breakfast is good, although not included, but it makes up for it being rather cheap and you have a beautiful view of the waterfall. I recommend the steam baths for only $4.

It is not right in the middle of town, but it is more than close enough to everything. Internet is also very good.

I always stay here when I am in Banos. Have never stayed in a cleaner hostel.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I thought a massage sounded like heaven after traveling and signed up for a wellness massage while staying at Hostal Chimenea. The staff never alerted the massage "therapist" to my request and she showed up 15 min late, with a child. The room was cold and the massage tables were clearly reclaimed 1950s massage tables--non adjustable, no face cradle, pushed against a wall so that the "therapist" could only reach you from two sides. I was instructed to keep my underwear on, which I attribut to cultural modesty, but once I realized this "therapist" clearly had ZERO TRAINING with actual therapeutic massage, I was glad I was less vulnerable to her ham-handed attentions.
At one point she was so focused on this clicking she elicited from the back of my right shoulder, she remained there, and I had to ask that she stop and move elsewhere. The lighting was poor, the table was dreadful and the massage woman was painfully incompetent--there is absolutely no reason to ever get a massage at this hostal.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 January 2014

chimenea is a beautiful and very clean hostel with all the facilities you need, a nice pool and in walking distance from everything. the only complaint we have to make is that there is one really really unfriendly night/evening guard, at first he would not allow our friends to stay inside the lobby (not the room!) for 10 minutes, then he insisted that we did not pay a porcentage of the price already on hostelworld although you have to do that always if you book that and when we came home at night and stood in front of the closed gate there has been a drunk guy arriving before us who wanted to talk to someone in the hostel, he was not being rude, in fact he was very nice just drunk but the night guard insisted on calling the police and would not let US in until the police arrived, which is absolutely crazy since we did not have anything to do with that guy and just wanted to go to our room at 3 am...besides this unfriendly one all the staff is great...though they dont know anything about busses, check that yourself ;)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Booked in advance. I recommend this hostel more for couples and groups of friends or family rather than solo travellers. It is not as social as other south america hostels and does not have a party vibe. I stayed 3 nights with my girlfriend for 9$ per person and we got a beautiful clean room with a view on the city with a balcony, private bathroom and two double beds. We could not be happier with our experience. We took advantage of the on-site massage offer which was fabulous (20$ for 65 min) and the hostel was conveniently located within a 5 minute walk anywhere of interest in town.

STAY HERE if you are going to baños and want a nice, relaxing, clean hostel/hotel for cheap money.

Tip: Breakfast is amazing, especially the fruit/pancakes combo for 2$

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in the hostal while travelling through Ecuador. The hostal is located a little on the edge of the town (which is no problem because Banos isn´t that big) near to one of the thermal baths which you should visit while staying there. We found it not very spectacular, but everthing was fine there. Rooms where clean, beds maybe a little to small and the service at the reception was helpful. We made use of the laundry service, which worked well. Since the hostal is a little bigger the Wifi covers only rooms near the reception. The pool looked quite inviting, but we didn´t try it out. With its cheap prices the hostal Chimenea is a really good budget option.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple