“Awesome place to stay in Baños, Ecuador”

and 1 more site!
Mayra's Apartments and Spanish School
Ranked #22 of 77 Speciality Lodging in Banos
Reviewed 27 February 2014

My wife and I are a couple in our early sixties who needed a place to rest for ten days after 4.5 months of driving our car through Peru and Ecuador. Mayra's delightful suite was the ideal place to stay. Located in a reasonably quiet area of Baños, the suite we stayed in has a nice sitting area, a well-equipped kitchen and a bedroom tucked away from the street. We found the location to be excellent, a five minute walk to the town centre, but removed from late night noise and activity. There are tiendas nearby to purchase basics, and a grocery store is about an eight minute walk away. During our stay, Mayra was always helpful and attentive to our needs. She took care of ordering drinking water and provided information about attractions in the Baños area. Although her facility is not equipped for parking, she found a place for our car across the street in the yard of a wonderful family.
Mayra also has a Spanish school in the same building with very reasonable rates, which is very convenient for anyone wishing to improve one's language skills.
My wife and I definitely recommend staying at Mayra's lodge. When we return to Baños, we will stay there again. Thank you so much Mayra for a memorable stay!

Room Tip: All rooms have their own characteristics. Mayra is very responsive to the needs of her clients, so...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Savagino

Reviewed 1 July 2013

I studied with Mayra for one week, but wish that it could have been longer. Mayra was a superb teacher - I had studied Spanish a bit 7 years ago but needed major refreshing in my memory and Mayra provided this by using games, exercises, visual aids etc. I ended up learning loads. She was also great company - i genuinely enjoyed our conversations and was learning spanish at the same time!

The classes were also accompanied with local visits, e.g. to markets, and once to Mayra's house for lunch. She was extremely generous and welcoming. I cannot recommend this Spanish school highly enough - it will greatly enhance your trip to South America.

Although I didn't stay in one of Mayra's apartments, i saw one and can confirm that they are clean, spacious and good value for money - if i was to go again, i'd stay there!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank ccccccc186338
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Early this year (2013) I arranged to stay in one of Mayra's apartments. I rented the studio and it was my intention to attend the Spanish School. I noticed on the Internet that she also had a 2 bedroom unit available so changed my reservation to the 2 bedroom. I was told by a member of her staff that would be fine and I could pay the difference when I got there. When I arrived in Banos I was informed that someone else was living in the 2 bedroom and I would have to take the studio. I was not happy but had no choice. The studio was in very bad condition and appeared as if it had not been cleaned in weeks. The bathroom was dirty. On our arrival there was no drinking water and no hot water. The TV did not work at all and the wifi access was iffy at best. Over the course of several days these problems were corrected (except for the wifi which never worked reliably) however, it seems to me that they should have been corrected prior to my arrival.
In addition, as part of our communication, Mayra offered to have a driver pick us up at the Airport.
Upon our arrival in Quito there was no one there...after calling Mayra I was told that she had an accident in Quito...okay...I can deal with that. When she arrived 5 hours later we departed for Banos and made several stops so she could deal with her personal business! On my dollars! I later found out that I was grossly overcharged ($140.00 instead of the going rate of $100.00). Again, not happy. In disgust, after 2 weeks of living in the dirty apartment, I left Banos. She may be a fine Spanish teacher as indicated in other reviews but as a landlord she leaves much to be desired!

Room Tip: Do NOT stay here.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kathie W
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I was only in Banos for a couple of days however I really enjoyed studying Spanish at Mayra's school.
The teachers were professional and Mayra in particular was very helpful with juggling the timetable so I could fit more classes into my short stay.
Would have studied for longer had my iterary allowed. Many thanks
Matthew
Australia

Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 1 November 2012

My husband and I studied for a month at Mayra's Spanish School in Spring 2012. We had a great experience and learned a TON of Spanish.
We studied with Marcos, who was a great teacher and super patient with us as we worked through our lessons. We really liked how he never let us "get away" with pronouncing something wrong or screwing up el/la. It really helped to have that drilled into us and made us sound better.

In addition to the great lessons, Mayra's Spanish school is really a community. While we were taking lessons,we were volunteering at Fundacion arte del mundo and other volunteers took spanish classes at some of the other spanish schools in Banos. The other schools did not have the same community feel that we loved at Mayra's.

Everyday, during break time, the teachers make tea and coffee and a couple of days of week, they would bring in (or cook!) traditional food. While we ate and drank, all the students and teachers were together talking (in spanish only por supuesto!) It was a great time to practice conversation skills and our favorite time of the day.

We also took trips to the market once a week and toured the city with our teachers. Again, a great way to practice real-world Spanish but also get some insider tips about the best places to eat!

In addition to this, Mayra would host parties for all the students/teachers. They would make a huge feast and her husband would provide some beer from his microbrewery. It was a great way to make new friends and of course, still practice Spanish.

We loved our Spanish lessons, Marcos and of course Mayra!

Room Tip: We didn't stay in the apartments but the studio at the top has amazing views. Just plan to atten...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank asebesta
Reviewed 14 October 2012

We were both limited in spanish before hand.. we were getting by with minimal "Span-lish"! Mayra was our teacher, she was great. She was patient and it is suprising how quickly you understand the verbs and structure of the language. We only studied for 7 days so still alot to go but Mayra has taken extra time to send over links for extra practice.

We also fully recommend the homestay, it really helps to go home after studying to practice and speak only in Spanish. Our family were Adriana and Carlos, they were lovely and really looked after us. We learnt so much about Ecuadorian family life and did a lot of things you wouldn´t do or see if you were in a hostel.

Muchas gracias Mayra y familia latina!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed here for Christmas and New Year's Eve - it was a great apartment - very clean and spacious and in a good location. Mayra was very helpful and accommodating. She allowed us to use an oven in another compartment and even took us on a brief tour of Banos when we arrived!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends