“Unforgettable”

Luna Runtun, Adventure SPA
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Banos
“Unforgettable”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Traveled in a group of 6 friends to Banos, and spent 2 nights in the Imperial Suite-- #47, shared between 4 people (the two other friends are a couple and shared the romantic and gorgeous room #35). #47 was an enormous 2/2 with balcony, kitchen, living room, with an expansive view of Banos, and very well maintained.
Overall, an amazing stay. It is a bit of a cab ride up the mountain, but 100% worth it on arrival for the breathtaking views. The cabs do charge a surcharge for having to come up the mountain as well, understandably so.
It is definitely pricey relative to the rest of Ecuador costs, however, the room price included wifi, substantial and DELICIOUS breakfast and dinner, and pool access. The pools are very well maintained by the hardworking and sweet pool guy.
Each room is uniquely decorated, and it is obvious that the owner puts his love and thought into every detail. It is very clean and well maintained and I most definitely plan to return in the future, as it is a perfect spot for a romantic getaway!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
LunaRuntun, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Luna Runtun, Adventure SPA, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for your comments about Luna Runtun, Adventure SPA in Baños.

I am very happy to read that you liked the imperial suite and services. I will tell Gabriel ( the pools receptionist) about your comment. He will rejoice.

Next time you come, remember to book online in our web page.

Thank you again. I send you my best regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

I went to Luna Runtun to visit the pools, therefore I cannot comment on the hotel, restaurant or treatments. In terms of the pools, I was disappointed that there was only one that is truly hot (and unfortunately it is not placed to have a view over Baños). The rest of the pools are lukewarm, and on a cool night they are almost too cold to pleasantly relax in. I would have also liked if there was a cold pool in order to do a proper spa circuit. Additionally, there is not a silence rule that is enforced. When I was there, there was a large rowdy group which made it difficult to relax. Otherwise, the staff were pleasant enough, although the receptionist didn't speak English. The views are great, which is the best part of the spa. Overall, just an average experience on my part.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Juliana K
LunaRuntun, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Luna Runtun, Adventure SPA, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for yor visit and comments about Luna Runtun, Adventure SPA

1. Pools / We understand the temperature is a relative matter. 3 pools and jacuzzi are heated to 37°C and 1 swimming pool to 30°C, information stated in our website. I apologize you feel them too cold, for others are too hot.

2. Cold pool / Thank you for the suggestion. You chose the hot pools and jacuzzi package only. We have available the steam bath with cold water contrast treatment in the SPA Volcánico, which is available in the SPA package for visitor option 1.

Thank you for your time to write. Next time, try booking online in our new and redesigned web page.
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

You're really paying to be out of the city centre in a remote location. Rooms are massive but the heated floor makes it a really hot nights sleep. They claim to offer 20 different types of adventure but they are all extremely expensive and of you don't speak Spanish its very difficult to communicate to the staff who look like they don't really want to be there. Food in the restaurant is very good although as soon as you finish your meal they clear your plate and slam down the next course, in and out sort of thing. All round it's a nice place if you've got the money

• Stayed May 2014
LunaRuntun, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Luna Runtun, Adventure SPA, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you for your visit and comments about Luna Runtun.

1. You are right, rooms and suites are massive, large, the only of its kind in Baños. The size information of each room can be found in our web page. Guests love the eco-heated floor.

2. expensive / Security is extremely important in adventure activities. All our tours include: english speaking guides certified by the Ministery of Tourism, private transportation and lunch. You can find cheap tours in Baños for sure, far different service and quality. I understand you, something expensive is a personal matter.

3. We do have 80 employees, all the people who work at the 6 receptions, administrative area, sales and marketing speak English, and some speak French, Swedish and German.

4. For the service in the Runtun Restaurant I apologize, maybe it's different in your country.

I´m glad you enjoyed the location, food and the rest of services. We will be really happy to have you as a guest in your next visit to Ecuador. Remember to book online in our web page.

Thank you again. I send you my best regards.
Krimpen aan den IJssel, The Netherlands
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Als part of a special celebrating trip my wife and me arrived at this beautiful situated hotel,From that moment we think we were part of candid camera. The booked and paid suite was not available, the manager who had to solve it didn't sprak english and first refused to solve the problem when our guide asked her in Spanish. After over a hour of insisting that we wouldn't take no. for an answer it somehow was possible to get. the paid suite. Then the telephone at our room didn't workshop so i had to get back to the reception for lights that didn't seem to work and broken glass. The hotelcafe who was strongly recommended had by entering , a woman put in the door who blocked the door, but was not able to tell me why as she also didn't speak english. She had to ask a guest to explain to me why. Then into the hotel restaurant. The food was cold but complaining didn't help as they didn't speak english. Then back to the room where the jacuzzi didn't work. The receptionist didn't speak english and refused to get Someren who was able to. We called our travel agent and left the hotel fout hours after coming to it. Main point: the arrogance, disrespect , low quality and lack of essential skills needed for such a international oriented hotel is disgraceful. If you neverheless as non spanish speaking person would-be like to stay there, be sure you do not get ill or worse: they can not help you!

Room Tip: Stay away!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Peter B
LunaRuntun, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Luna Runtun, Adventure SPA, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for your visit and comments about Luna Runtun, Adventure SPA.

1. booked and paid suite / Your agency booked and paid a Romantic Room to us. It was the agency’s mistake that sold to you a Romantic Suite, which have the highest occupancy and much higher value. After a few changes in our availability chart, Luna Runtun was pleased to offer you a Free Upgrade to a 72 square meters Romantic Suite with king size bed, jacuzzi, fireplace, living room and private terrace with Llanganates National Park view.

2. telephone at our room didn't work / The phone did work. The recepcionist even transfer you a call from your agency.

3. hotel café blocked door / Café del Cielo has become a unique attraction in Baños and surrounding areas, it is full all year round and we cannot keep the door open because this will bother other guests or visitors inside while other people pass by. All people wait for their turn, and the hostess speaks english.

4. food was cold / It was a buffet, and the food was warm, but you wanted warmer... matter of taste, no problem, the waitress heat your food as you desire. She did understand you.

5. Jacuzzi did not work / Maintenance went to check the jacuzzi, it was operating normally. When the receptionist was going to inform you, you left the hotel.

6. Receptionists do speak English, in the 6 receptions that we have in the hotel, but expecting that everybody understand your Dutch - English accent is impossible. Maybe you should have written, I could understand your complaint better now. Your friends, who came with you, stayed happily at the hotel.

For your information, we do have 80 employees, all the people who work at the receptions, administrative area, sales and marketing speak English, and some speak French, Swedish and German.
pine mountain, ga
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I visited Luna Runtun to take advantage of the spa/3 course meal package. The taxi ride up the mountain was about $2, and when I arrived at Luna, my eyes couldn't believe what a lovely place it was ... the grounds, the views, decor .... wow! Clearly, a lot of thought and love was put into this place. The baths are located at the edge of a cliff, with incredible views in all directions. Only the large jacuzzi is fed by thermal water, and it was hot and soothing. The pool and other baths are different temperatures, mostly lukewarm, but most enjoyable. The locker rooms were great, and they provided towels. The 3 course meal was in their smaller restaurant, Cafe del Cielo, also at the edge of the cliff, with giant windows so that the views were unobstructed. The food was some of the best that I had while in Ecuador! What a bargain! We were given a tour of the grounds, and I thought that if I were to return again, a couple of nights here would be very nice as a romantic get-away. A taxi will take you further up the mountain to the "Tree House" .... this was quite a treat as well with a fantastic view of Tungurahua ! A swing is attached to a real tree house, and while swinging, you actually swing out over the valley to an extent, giving you quite a thrill! Did I mention that the volcano was erupting? Don't miss either place .... a very therapeutic experience!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

You are cordially invited to check our new designed web page. Now you can check availability and book online.
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Four no longer young from our tour group decided to climb from Banos to the top of the hill behind the town. On the two hour climb it was agreed that the return trip was too steep and a taxi was in order. At the top of the hill we were 'rescued' by the manager of Luna Runtun who called us a cab offered us coffee and refused any payment. If this is the standard of hospitality I recommend you sample it, together with the beautiful surroundings.

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you for your visit and comments about Luna Runtun, Adventure SPA in Baños, Ecuador.

I hope to see you in the future. Please visit our web page, you can check availability and book online now.
Lake Tahoe
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I give this a five star for view.

PRO: View

CON:
Horrible long drive to location
Far from town, but above town, so all the noise drifts up to your room.
Our Bed room #35 is over due for a "new mattress", my side had a sink hole, hurt my hips and I didn't sleep well. Could spring for down pillows and duvet, pillow were flat as flat tires.
Spa water is tepid " 75-85 maybe degrees" COLD, not spa like as told BY MANAGER, TOLD IT WOULD have shampoo, conditioner, and finishing products, blow dryer etc. Hand dryer yes, hair dryer no for after spa shower, did not. Non hotel guest can bath here.
Dinner was way below our expectations, we had a grumpy waitress, was disappointed I'm in Ecuador not a cafeteria at homeless shelter. Mayonnaise Chicken salad for dinner salad, made at noon, 4 meat choices, no vegetarian offered.
A good chef is important for success of Luna Runtun Adventure Spa business, and we couldn't op out of breakfast or dinner. Deserts average.
Breakfast, low cost basic, for price of lodging, well below our expectations, we both got a upset stomach.
Rooms have no heaters on showery days it's damp and cold, they have wood stoves, that you need help lighting, than it over heats room to uncomfortable hot.

I think this hotel has potential as it is romantic, just needs better management and it's a no brainier, and can carry it self and flourish.

We wish you luck and hope you can fix these issues.

Room Tip: #35 great location, romantic view, pink with red hearts
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
LunaRuntun, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Luna Runtun, Adventure SPA, responded to this review, 19 April 2014

1. horrible long drive to location / It´s the first time in 20 years that we read something like that. The drive between Baños and Luna Runtun is extraordinary. You can enjoy the Ulba and Chamana waterfalls; the jaw dropping views of Llanganates National Park and the active Tungurahua volcano. The drive is 9km, 12 min, asphalted road. Taxi $5. All of them know and are safe. In the hotel, the reception arranges any transfer, any time.

2. Above town, noise drifts up to your room. / You chose a room with Baños view, which is 400m below. All rooms and suites have sliding windows with double glass chamber to isolate noises and temperature. Our guests are fascinated because Baños is very lively this Eastern week, thousands of pilgrims and musical bands bring life to town. It´s normal to hear noises... from the terraces, not inside the rooms.

3. overdue: "new mattress", my side had a sink hole, hurt my hips, didn't sleep well, pillow were flat / I refute your comment, we have the best mattresses of the country, Grand Palais: $1200 each. We have checked your room, the mattress and the pillows are in perfect conditions. The room is overdue for the view, and you were upgraded for free to this room.

4. Spa water is tepid 75-85 degrees COLD / 3 pools and the hydromassage tub: 98°F, the swimming pool: 77°F. Automated regulated temperature. I checked the cauldron that heats the pools and no lower temperatures were registered, as you mentioned.

5. MANAGER, TOLD IT WOULD have shampoo, conditioner, no hair dryer / It’s logical that all clients want to dry her hair after a bath. For that reason, there are 3 areas in the hotel where you can take a shower: your room, the SPA Volcánico and the pools area. All of them have shampoo, soap, hair conditioner and a hair dryer. I do not understand how you did not see them.

6. Non hotel guest can bath here. / All of them do.

7. dinner and breakfast / We have 2 restaurants: Runtun Restaurant with andean food which serves buffets; and Café del Cielo with 34 varieties of coffee, sandwichs, crepes, röstis, and salads. Both of them have vegetarian options always. If you don´t like the mayonaisse, that is a personal matter. We understand food is all about tastes. We use fresh vegetables from our organic garden in both of our restaurants, highly appreciated by our guests and returning visitors.

8. upset stomach / The hotel was full and we had no other sick guests´ reports...

9. Rooms have no heaters / Rooms have eco-heated floors, in addition of a fireplace, which was lighted all the times you requested.

I appreciate the time you took to share your comments about your stay in Luna Runtun, Adventure SPA.