“Beautiful hotel but difficult if you are not in good physical condition”

Luna Runtun, Adventure SPA
Ranked #4 of 27 Hotels in Banos
Palm Beach, Florida
“Beautiful hotel but difficult if you are not in good physical condition”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I loved the beautiful views and the pools and the decor but I wanted to write and warn people how far away the restaurants and pools are from the rooms. There are LOT of steps making getting around very strenuous if you are not in good shape.
Our room was lovely but lacked some basic things that I am used to having. I need coffee right away in the morning and there is no coffee maker, so I had to go to the restaurant which was quite a trek and in the rain no less (they do supply unbrellas) They probably had some coffee in the lobby which was not any closer.
Make sure you bring body lotion as this is not supplied.
Also there is no temperature control in the room.
If you are in great shape and are not a coffee drinker and want a quiet (no tv) beautiful, romantic get away; I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
LunaRuntun, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Luna Runtun, Adventure SPA, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear livinglif:

I'm glad to hear that you were pleased with the beautiful views and decor. Thank you for the warning to all guests regarding the location and steps. They will really appreciate it.

It´s true that the rooms have no coffee maker, but all suites do have electric jars to do it and the coffee station in the reception works all day long.
Temperature controls have just been installed in the rooms with heated floors.

Thanks for reaching out about what you thought. Remember to tell your friends that they can check rates, availability and book online in our web page.

I send you my best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Bermuda
Reviewed 24 June 2014

So many things to say about this place!

The views from the resort were simply unreal. We stayed in the Romantic Suite Mi Amor and were so happy with this choice. We knew it was smaller than some other rooms but it was really all we needed. The main reason we chose this room is that it has a jacuzzi on the patio which was fantastic.

The drive is VERY long to get there from the airport, but we both felt it was worth it. The transportation was arranged through the hotel for us, and a driver named Haime (not sure how to spell it) picked us up at the airport. He was so friendly, his english was excellent. We arrived at the hotel very late at night so everything was closed and it was so quiet, and pouring rain. The night security guard took us to the room with umbrellas and we went straight to sleep.

Much to my delight, we awoke to the most amazing view I have ever seen through our huge picture window. Mountains and clouds floating by... so very cool. I couldn't believe I was there! We spent a lot of time relaxing on our patio during the trip - the jacuzzi was so amazing to have, huge and very comfortable for two people. We would sit and watch clouds drift in and out for hours, so beautiful to see.

Our room had a fireplace which was so necessary and great. The room did get pretty warm, but not smokey like someone else mentioned below so we must have had different rooms! Loved loved loved it. They came to light it for us whenever we needed; special thanks to the nighttime security guard for doing this for us every night. I wish I got his name because he was so great to us.

The restaurants: I will say I am the worlds pickiest eater so it's always a challenge for me. I didn't like the food at the main restaurant at all, but I loved almost everything I had at Cafe Cielo. My husband liked food at both places, so don't let that deter you. The free meals alternated, so sometimes it was at the main restaurant - we started declining that and just paying for food at Cafe Cielo. A manager at the resort, Rodrigo, found out that we were doing that and then reversed the charges / said he would substitute the free meals for that restaurant for me which was so kind. He really went out of his way on several occasions to make us feel welcome and valued. You must try the banana/chocolate crepe at Cielo - to die for!! Breakfast there was great. This spot was soooo cool, an elevated room with all glass windows overlooking Banos. Most spectacular views, and we'd be sitting looking down at the town and suddenly clouds came in and we were in them, couldn't see a thing outside. So cool!

We didn't really use the pools, but they didn't feel very warm. The views from the pools were stunning though, and we did spend a bit of time sitting there.

The spa: Highly recommend the romantic crater spa couples treatment, wow!!! There were rose petals on the stairs in designs and words, it was so amazing and it must have taken them hours to set everything up. You get an exfoliation, a lovely massage, and have the room to yourselves for a nice jacuzzi with champagne, cheese and fruit (which was divine!). Well worth it. We also had spa treatments on other days; we had facials which were fantastic, hubby had a pedicure which was good. We had a massage EVERY single day. Ask for Jenni, she was the best one! We started to fight over who would get her :) ... I thought the prices were reasonable - yes, you can get a cheaper massage down in town but not in the same kind of setting/cleanliness (in my opinion). So we really felt it was great value for what you got.

Banos is very safe to tour around, with some cool little cafes and shops, and the locals seemed pretty nice. Didn't get to zipline as the weather didn't cooperate, but what can you do.

I speak a little spanish which was helpful here. The spa staff and a lot of the restaurant staff had very limited english, so I can see how that would frustrate people. If you need help, find Rodrigo. The property guides in our room said you could order room service, but this was a challenge - we would call and they would say they didn't have room service. Rodrigo fixed this for us and got us the wine and cheese we wanted sent to our room. I think the language barrier was a problem, the restaurant staff really didn't understand.

The whole resort grounds were stunning, seriously, such amazing views. Did not want to leave.

Overall, gorgeous resort. Nice staff. Special thanks again to Rodrigo for making things perfect. I would definitely recommend this resort, and already have :)

Room Tip: All rooms have different benefits, really look through the list on the website to tailor to your nee...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
LunaRuntun, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Luna Runtun, Adventure SPA, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear krispy6:

It makes me happy to know that you had a great stay!

Thank you for the wonderful compliments especially the great location and of course, our beautiful views of Baños and the Llanganates National Park!

I sincerely thank you for choosing to stay with us. My team and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next visit.

Guayaquil, Ecuador
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed at Luna Runtun for one night and the overall experience was really good. The views from the hotel are amazing, full of mountains and wonderful landscapes. The hot springs at the terraces are just so great to spend the afternoon relaxing and chilling. Dinner was also really good. Only bad point was the fireplace in our room. We had to call 3 or 4 times for them to come an start the fire but we regret about asking for it. The room just got full of smoke due to the bad design of the fireplace! It is a bit overpriced, I guess because of the view from the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Alexis V:

Your comments on the hotel’s views and the hot springs are appreciated. However, I do apologise for the disappointing experience with the fireplace that you have outlined which have been comprehensively reviewed and rectified. New hermetic eco-fireplaces have been installed. You can check the new rooms and suites in our web page. Total customer satisfaction is our utmost priority and it is thanks to feedback and comments such as yours that we are able to maintain and further improve on our standards.

Thank you for your valuable feedback and hope to welcome you back again in the near future!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 2 June 2014

If you are in Banos this hotel is about 20 minutes and a couple of thousand feet above the town. It was just perfect for us as I do not recommend staying in town. The hotel is lovely the staff friendly and you are way above the town so it is quiet and peaceful (Just what a spa should be)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear shmelvin,

Your compliments on the hotel’s great location, staff, food and service are greatly appreciated.

Hope to welcome you back again in the near future!

Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

we booked a 1 hour massage for couples which was terrible. The massages in town were much better and cheaper. The massage felt like somebody was just moving their hands up and down but not knowing where any muscles were actually located.

The restaurant has a great view and the food was fine.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Onabicycle
LunaRuntun, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Luna Runtun, Adventure SPA, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for your visit and comments about Luna Runtun.

The SPA Volcánico has professional therapists. A prestigious operation since 2002 with returning guests and visitors. With 500m2, 11 rooms and 25 treatments, it has become the best of the region. I understand the way you felt the massage is a personal matter.
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Traveled in a group of 6 friends to Banos, and spent 2 nights in the Imperial Suite-- #47, shared between 4 people (the two other friends are a couple and shared the romantic and gorgeous room #35). #47 was an enormous 2/2 with balcony, kitchen, living room, with an expansive view of Banos, and very well maintained.
Overall, an amazing stay. It is a bit of a cab ride up the mountain, but 100% worth it on arrival for the breathtaking views. The cabs do charge a surcharge for having to come up the mountain as well, understandably so.
It is definitely pricey relative to the rest of Ecuador costs, however, the room price included wifi, substantial and DELICIOUS breakfast and dinner, and pool access. The pools are very well maintained by the hardworking and sweet pool guy.
Each room is uniquely decorated, and it is obvious that the owner puts his love and thought into every detail. It is very clean and well maintained and I most definitely plan to return in the future, as it is a perfect spot for a romantic getaway!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
LunaRuntun, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Luna Runtun, Adventure SPA, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for your comments about Luna Runtun, Adventure SPA in Baños.

I am very happy to read that you liked the imperial suite and services. I will tell Gabriel ( the pools receptionist) about your comment. He will rejoice.

Next time you come, remember to book online in our web page.

Thank you again. I send you my best regards.
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

I went to Luna Runtun to visit the pools, therefore I cannot comment on the hotel, restaurant or treatments. In terms of the pools, I was disappointed that there was only one that is truly hot (and unfortunately it is not placed to have a view over Baños). The rest of the pools are lukewarm, and on a cool night they are almost too cold to pleasantly relax in. I would have also liked if there was a cold pool in order to do a proper spa circuit. Additionally, there is not a silence rule that is enforced. When I was there, there was a large rowdy group which made it difficult to relax. Otherwise, the staff were pleasant enough, although the receptionist didn't speak English. The views are great, which is the best part of the spa. Overall, just an average experience on my part.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Juliana K
LunaRuntun, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Luna Runtun, Adventure SPA, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for yor visit and comments about Luna Runtun, Adventure SPA

1. Pools / We understand the temperature is a relative matter. 3 pools and jacuzzi are heated to 37°C and 1 swimming pool to 30°C, information stated in our website. I apologize you feel them too cold, for others are too hot.

2. Cold pool / Thank you for the suggestion. You chose the hot pools and jacuzzi package only. We have available the steam bath with cold water contrast treatment in the SPA Volcánico, which is available in the SPA package for visitor option 1.

Thank you for your time to write. Next time, try booking online in our new and redesigned web page.