“Not Happy”

Hosteria y Spa Isla de Banos
Ranked #6 of 73 Speciality Lodging in Banos
Reviewed 19 November 2007

We (two couples) actually never got to stay here. The hotel confirmed that we had reservations when we arrived, but they told us they had overbooked so we ended up having to stay next door. The owner did provide us with a complimentary breakfast the next morning, and the grounds looked attractive.

Stayed: November 2007

Reviewed 17 October 2007

We checked out a three places when we arrived. We first looked at the Hotel Palace, but it looked a little old and was too expensive for what it was ($60-$90/night for a double). We then looked at the Sangray, and while it was very new looking, it felt too sterile (no charm). We then found the Hostel Isla Banos and thought it was great. The place is charming, the owner is friendly, the rooms spacious (we have a balcony one…try to get that!) and comparatively cheap ($25). Forget the price, we liked it more than the others even at the same price.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2007

Watch out for the fruit juice they serve with breakfast.!!!! Both my boyfriend and I got very sick from it even though the menu said everything was done with boiled water. You had to pay extra if you wanted anything for breakfast aside from fruit juice and rolls. The owner was not there when we were so we couldn't communicate with the staff due to the language barrier. the spa was not included like the hostal boasted. rooms were nice but due to the sickness it was a bad experience overall.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2006

Isla de Banos hotel offers unique accommodation with scenic views of the rich volcanic countryside. Away from the nightclubs in the centre of town the rooms are quiet and offer a welcomed sanctuary. Christian who owns the property has infused his ecclectic taste of culture and design throught the 15 roomed establishment making Isla de Banos memorable with its collection of local ceramics, masks and paintings.
The rooms are excellent and only $22US per night (as of Dec06). The steam baths are also worth trying.

• Stayed: December 2006
Reviewed 25 September 2006

My girlfriend and I were in Banos in mid August when the volcano errupted at about 1:30 AM. Christian, the owner of the hotel told us to evacuate the hotel and attempted to usher his other guests to his horse stable claiming "we leave together, we come back together." While volcanic rock and ash was falling everywhere, my girlfirend and I left (scared for our lives) the hotel and Banos. Upon our frantic departure, we left some items in Christian's safety deposit box including travellers checks, our debit cards and my ipod. When we got back to America, I was able to get in contact with Christian and he sent all of my belongings back to me in a very timely manner and I was able to pay my bill. Christian could have very well kept our belonings, sold them and charged the bill on one of our cards. Aside from attempting to usher us to a horse stable (that was even closer to the volcano then the hotel) Christian was very accomidating and the hotel was excellent. The rooms are clean cute, there is hot water and there is a beautiful garden that over looks the hotel. perfect for couples.
That being said, I would recomend to all people that go to Banos even if you do not stay at this hotel to be weary of the volcano...although it is wonderous and exotic, it is still very dangerous!!!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2006

Isla de Baños is a really good deal in Baños, it´s around $22+Tax and it´s very quiet and clean. For that reason we stayed there whenever we were in Baños.

However, on our last stay my camera was stolen out of my backpack from the locked hotel room (there is apparently no safe in the hotel).

Theft happens all he time and happened to me before as well. However, instead of saying something simple like "sorry" or "I will take care of that" the whole situation was reversed on the spot:
As soon as I reported the theft the owner told me that "everybody" could claim stolen things and he has not seen or caught anybody with my stuff, therefore he could not consider that a theft.

Therefore, great location, good value, but lousy customer orientation.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with friends
1  Thank Trav51
Reviewed 31 January 2006

Quiet hotel on the edge of Banos but only a short walk from restaurants, bars, the squares and other hostels. Not the cheapest hostel in town but very far from expensive ($13 with breakfast) and worth it if you want guarenteed cleanliness. The rooms are light and airy with TV and mine had a balcony. There is a spa at the hotel but the pools weren't open when I was there (mid-December 2005); treatments can also be booked in advance. The owner offers horse-riding and other trips and Banos itself is a fantastic little town and a key starting point for sporting activities and jungle trips.