“very nice hotel with splendid location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Banos
Hostal Isla de Banos
Ranked #6 of 66 Speciality Lodging in Banos
Skien Norway
“very nice hotel with splendid location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2010

We stayed one night in this small and beautiful hotel. Large rooms most with private balconies. The rooms were clean. The breakfast served near the reception was good, plentiful and varied. The hotel is located just near to the hot springs and only some 2-300 meters awy from the small and charming centre of Banos.
The staff was very helpful and serviceminded.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Quito
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2009

We arrived in Baños due to change of plans and booked this place having plucked it out of the guide book. The guy was not keen to accept a telephone booking initially, but eventually gave in.
We had a double room and a twin in the extension, which had its own patio. This room seemed fine, tho had no view and the galss roof over the patio leaked. The room my partner and I shared was in the main hotel. Looks good, but you soon realise that it´s been badly built - little noise insulation meant that our neighbours´shower sounded louder in our room than our own shower, and tiled floors in the corridors meant more noise. Great v iew tho. We moved rooms eventually.
Breakfast - what´s included is bread rolls which were always stale, and jam. The hotel has its own spa - none of which was available while we were there tho the hotel was full. There was also a stinky dog in reception in the evenings...
The German owner offered a jeep trip to Chimborazo for $60 per person, we got the same thing in town for $100 for 4 people. An ok place to stay but with so many other options in Baños, I´d shop around.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Seattle WA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2009

It seemed like a nice place to stay on first impression. The management encouraged me to have my important items placed in their 'strongbox' or 'safe' they keep near their counter.

Reluctantly, I agreed to, but before doing so, I wrote the amount of money I had in the envelope. $205 total along with my credit card. A couple days later, when I retrieved the money the night before I left, I found that it was short $70.

I immediately brought this up with the counter guy and he phoned Kristian, the owner. He said that I must be mistaken and there had never been any thefts in the entire time of the facility.

I assured him it was indeed the case that someone stole my money from their 'fool-proof method' of taping your contents in some bag with masking tape and that if someone were to open it, they'd destroy the bag. He went on to demonstrate this over and over and I had to turn away from him out of fear I'd level him and end up in some Banos jail.

Quick note! They run a spa there: Subject masking tape or any glue/resin substance to a steam bath in a small space and it'll loosen right up. I'm sure he and 'his administrator,' the manager know this.

I would advise you give second thought before staying there. If anything, they need to have strongboxes in the rooms and not under the counter. They treated us like a burden the entire time. I've reported the theft to authorities in Guayaquil and will have my cousin follow up with her law firm based there.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Southampton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2008

This hotel is certainly bright and attractive and with lovely gardens. Our room was new and clean but the shower overflowed and we were told that it was no problem, just let the water drain away through the bathroom floor outlet! Although this part of the hotel was new the approach to our bedroom was up a death-defying staircase of uneven treads and a quarter landing with strips of wood that you could get your toes caught in. Certainly this design wouldn't be allowed in England, but one must remember that this is Ecuador.
Our gripe with this hotel is with the management. Although there were various trips advertised in the reception area, the staff could not give us any details and said that only Christian could and he would be in some time during the evening. When we did eventually speak to Christian he was most unfriendly and unhelpful. In fact he was the rudest hotel proprietor we have ever met! It wasn't just us either as we had dinner with a Swiss girl who spoke excellent German, English and Spanish and she told us that she had been asking for details of a trip to Quilitoa for the next day. She had, like us, been told that only Christian could help her and the following morning she again enquired only to be told that Christian had left just five minutes before - to Quilitoa with two customers. She was most upset.
This hotel is undoubtedly a very nice place but Christian definitely needs to take a course in customer relations.

• Liked — NIce room, great view
  • Disliked — unfriendly management
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
Nashville, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2008

Truly one of the best places in Banos to stay, and perhaps Ecuador. I've stayed at the hotel nearly every other week for more than a year. They gave me a great deal, excellent facilities and a superb staff. Always a pleasure, with hot water constantly, and a short walk to everything you'd wish to do in Banos. I will always stay here, and always recommend it to every traveler I meet.

• Stayed January 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank avidtraveler04
Cape Cod
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2007

We (two couples) actually never got to stay here. The hotel confirmed that we had reservations when we arrived, but they told us they had overbooked so we ended up having to stay next door. The owner did provide us with a complimentary breakfast the next morning, and the grounds looked attractive.

Stayed November 2007
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2007

We checked out a three places when we arrived. We first looked at the Hotel Palace, but it looked a little old and was too expensive for what it was ($60-$90/night for a double). We then looked at the Sangray, and while it was very new looking, it felt too sterile (no charm). We then found the Hostel Isla Banos and thought it was great. The place is charming, the owner is friendly, the rooms spacious (we have a balcony one…try to get that!) and comparatively cheap ($25). Forget the price, we liked it more than the others even at the same price.

• Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)