“Intriguing arty place--so fun”
Review of La Posada del Arte

La Posada del Arte
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Banos
Reviewed 20 March 2014

My husband and I stayed 3 nights February 2014. The hotel is located on a quieter street with background sounds of the local waterfall. Each room seems to have it's own character and charm. There is art work every where and I found most to be very upbeat and filled with "happy colors". (One I did not like but then art is such a personal thing.) The bathroom was well stocked with nice towels and no problem with hot or cold water. They even supplied "designer soap" which was a nice touch. We ate a dinner there and were very impressed. There is a good selection on the menu. The breakfasts---WOW! Every other breakfast we were served at different places while on the trip never came close to what was being offered there. The beds were comfortable. In my exploring around the building, I noticed each room seemed to have some kind of "relaxing" feature added to it. We had two relaxing outdoor chairs facing the waterfall. Other rooms had relaxing swings, or gardens or secluded and private porches. We also found the owners helpful as, unfortunately, we do not speak Spanish (our problem!) and they translated for us to our driver to get across what our plans were. We truly enjoyed this place. Almost just across the street was a massage parlor which had many types of massages available for $35/hour--well worth it. We were able to charge our additional meals, and beverages on our Visa but with a surcharge for using it. Still, very doable. Even though the posada was on a quiet street, it was still very close to the center of town and all activities--including a spa right by the waterfall that seemed that many of the locals used. We were impressed.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank woodfish

Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed on the posada del arte for 6 nights in February ,it was a great stay after 12 days trekking in the cotopaxi N.P and Quilotoa lake.
I loved the art everywhere and the interesting chats about art with the owners.
The room (#11) was on the top floor. It has a quiet window to the lush garden. I had a small balcony with a sitting hammock.
I extended my stay by 1 night and was moved to the blue house, where the rooms were newer but the service and convenience are just the same as in the main house.
Breakfast stood up to the written reputation. It is simply a classic! Excellent start to the day.
I dined one evening at the restaurant ,the service and food were excellent.
I loved staying at the posada. Jim (one half of the owners), wasn't very well at the time, yet, still gave me some tips for places to visit and MTB rides in the area. Marshia (other half) is mostly around to help and advise too. It's worth mentioning Jason, their son ,who runs his quirky brewpub(stray dog) in banos. With superb ales and fantastic food (very flexible menu!!)
overall, one of a kind.arty and relaxed posada. Very much recommended! !

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

I live in Ecuador and my husband is from Guayaquil. I have been to Banos about 6 times in the last 2 years and I have never stayed here because I feel their rooms are extremely over priced for Banos but although I find their breakfast a little pricey, it was our little splurge! This time though the owner's wife was so unforgiveably rude to my husband we will never go back!! We told a few of the locals about what happened and no one was suprises, they said that the owners are rude people. Honestly, for the price there are better places and the next day we found a better breakfast place for half price!!! Never again!! Go back to your own Country and be rude there!!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Peipeifranco
JimRedd, Owner at La Posada del Arte, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Since the reviewer did not post details of this incident, we do not remember the specific case. However, we sincerely apologize for this and will certainly pay more attention to our customer relations in the future.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

As the name illustrates, this hotel's walls are covered by painters' works, in particular Ecuadorian painters. Nicely decorated, la Posada del arte provides the traveller with a comforting place to go back after a rafting, canoying, biking, or even a relaxing spa day in Baños. Very close to the piscinas de La Virgen, la posada is an ideal place to go to these hot (and cold) springs early in the morning, before the crowds come in, and bathe with the locals; the mass of tourists and kids come a bit later in the day. Although there are more affordable places in Baños, this place will not disappoint you. Not only does one sleep to the sound of the nearby waterfall, the breakfast (included) is so plentiful and filling that it can provide one enough energy to sight-see past mid-day!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Nice hotel, nice rooms, nice interior, great food and a really good service. Everything fine, but in the end 70 dollars for a rather small double room with a bathroom that would need some modernization is still a bit overpriced for Banos.

Room Tip: Room Nr. 10 comes with a fireplace!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Close to the main square (10 minutes walk) and all of the bars and restaurants, but far enough away to feel like you are in the countryside. A really nice location, close to hot springs and a huge waterfall.
We had room 10 up on the second floor, because of its location at the top of the house we had excellent peaceful nights sleep here, something which is not easy to find in Hostals and budget Hotels in Ecuador.
Room in good order, Bathroom excellent (With locally made artisan soap and decent shampoo provided) WiFi in all areas, nice lounge area, garden with seating
Great value, and the rate quoted included a fantastic breakfast. Highly recommended.
If you do stay here give Simon the Whippet from Chicago a stroke, he's the least ferocious guard dog I ever met!

Room Tip: Room 10, on the second floor was very quiet, nice bathroom and WiFi.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Fantastic hostel in Banos with a great location. The hostel is a couple of blocks from the main strips which is good if you want to sleep! Our room looked over to the waterfall which was beautiful. The room was large with a good size bathroom, with hot and cold water. The breakfast is absolutely brilliant too! Me and my partner ate there in the evening as well and the food was fantastic. The rooms are rustic in fashion but I thought it was fab. The owners are happy, chatty and good when giving advice. I wouldn't have stayed anywhere else!

• Stayed: January 2014